Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-19-2013, 11:14 PM   #197
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Yeah but you're talking about a car priced in the $40k's, not $60k+ which is where I expect the Z/28 to be. No doubt there'll be a few rich guys who'll buy a Z and take it to the dragstrip so they can be the center of attention which is what they bought it for to begin with.

Do you see a lot of expensive BMW's and Porsches at the drags? Once a certain price point is reached it becomes a much more purposeful purchase; especially with a car that's been weight-reduced from the factory for the track.

Chevy has a Camaro for the serious drag racer; it's the COPO. For the guy who wants power and comfort on the street, it's the ZL1. For the serious road course racer it's going to be the Z/28. It's going to be REAL interesting to see what the 6th gen cars are like considering the big 15% weight reduction mandate now in place for the next generation of cars.
You realize the Alpha platform kicked off the 15% savings right? This has been discussed multiple times...
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:15 PM   #198
Boris632

Drives: 1955 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
You're thinking the Z/28 will be priced lower than the ZL1?
i think it can be - but it was a hypothetical

restricted build with a dirty LS7

I just responded by asking how many do you think they would sell if it was less than a ZL1?
Boris632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:17 PM   #199
Boris632

Drives: 1955 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVmyZL1 View Post
Blah, blah, blah. We all know what each trim level of the Gen5 Camaro brings to the table. Saying it over and over is not going to change that fact that there will be Z/28 buyers who will take their cars to a dragstrip. In fact, it might be the only type of track it ever sees. Do I see a LOT of expensive BMW's and Porsches at the dragstrip often, no, but I do see them from time to time. There is a local guy here who I see there 5or six times a year in his GT3, so it does happen. Not to mention the plethora of Nissan GTR's there every week. Those cars were not engineered for the dragstrip either and are pretty damn expensive, too.
whatever that Mercedes is - 2 door V12 twin turbo 120k+ car - a guy here has one and the only track it has seen is the drag strip

it is a solid 10 second car too with minimal upgrades.

GTRs, M3s, 911s etc - all have drag only cars out there and probably more than you would suspect
Boris632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:37 AM   #200
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVmyZL1 View Post
Blah, blah, blah. We all know what each trim level of the Gen5 Camaro brings to the table. Saying it over and over is not going to change that fact that there will be Z/28 buyers who will take their cars to a dragstrip. In fact, it might be the only type of track it ever sees. Do I see a LOT of expensive BMW's and Porsches at the dragstrip often, no, but I do see them from time to time. There is a local guy here who I see there 5or six times a year in his GT3, so it does happen. Not to mention the plethora of Nissan GTR's there every week. Those cars were not engineered for the dragstrip either and are pretty damn expensive, too.
Blah, blah, blah. We all know that there's always people with expensive cars that take them to a dragstrip. In fact, many never take them to any kind of track. There will be Z/28 owners who garage it for a collector/investment; take it to the drags; never go on the track... just cruise around town. Saying that over and over doesn't change the fact that the car is not designed for the dragstrip nor does the market it's designed for care about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
You realize the Alpha platform kicked off the 15% savings right? This has been discussed multiple times...
You realize they're going to still reduce weight in the 6th gen right? It's being discussed and will continue to be discussed multiple times...

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:59 AM   #201
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Blah, blah, blah. We all know that there's always people with expensive cars that take them to a dragstrip. In fact, many never take them to any kind of track. There will be Z/28 owners who garage it for a collector/investment; take it to the drags; never go on the track... just cruise around town. Saying that over and over doesn't change the fact that the car is not designed for the dragstrip nor does the market it's designed for care about that.

You realize they're going to still reduce weight in the 6th gen right? It's being discussed and will continue to be discussed multiple times...
Sure they are but without substantially different build materials etc from the ATS the Camaro will not weigh a huge difference from the current Alpha car.
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:07 AM   #202
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
Sure they are but without substantially different build materials etc from the ATS the Camaro will not weigh a huge difference from the current Alpha car.
I don't know... after seeing what Stielow and team were willing to do with a car already in existence I wouldn't bet against them doing something extra with a car that's still in the design phase. The nice thing about this kind of effort is that eventually it starts to trickle down to the lower models with lower prices.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:35 PM   #203
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying

Drives: Ashen 2013 Gray ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomino View Post
source?

i just did a quick search on an 06 z06.

3147 lbs (motortrend)

3180 lbs (Wikipedia)

2013 - 3199 lbs (autoweek)

oh my how we have derailed this thread...

"And thanks to a litany of racing-derived components, Z06 weighs in at 3,199 lbs. curb and 3,041 lbs. dry, making it the lightest of the 2013 Corvette models."
This info is from http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette-z06-sports-car.html
I'd have to say that is probably the most accurate source for a corvette spec.
BTW, full tank of gas weighs about 140lbs.
Rotofab, grinding rear diff sound forever, dealer replaced supercharger - now i have a rattle when starting from a stop, ordered 2.35 lingenfelter pulley, hp tuner, belt, 100mm idler pulley, tr7IX spark plugs, wideband kit, long tubes with no cats...hoping for 650hp. dyno with rotofab = 518hp
NightmareZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:39 PM   #204
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying

Drives: Ashen 2013 Gray ZL1
Quote:
I don't know... after seeing what Stielow and team were willing to do with a car already in existence I wouldn't bet against them doing something extra with a car that's still in the design phase. The nice thing about this kind of effort is that eventually it starts to trickle down to the lower models with lower prices.

Agreed. With the current popularity of the Gen 5 and the need to maintain sales momentum, they would be silly not to make the new camaro hundreds of lbs lighter. That would also greatly increase all aspects of performance anddddd...make a superlight (or more appropriately, track weight) Z28 possible!
Rotofab, grinding rear diff sound forever, dealer replaced supercharger - now i have a rattle when starting from a stop, ordered 2.35 lingenfelter pulley, hp tuner, belt, 100mm idler pulley, tr7IX spark plugs, wideband kit, long tubes with no cats...hoping for 650hp. dyno with rotofab = 518hp
NightmareZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #205
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
Curious that so many would object to the proposition that a Z28 would be tested on the 1/4 mile track. The 1/4 mile test is the standard measuring stick for every car magazine on every car they get their hands on. We all draw huge assumptions based on the 1/4 mile and 60' times it will post, as well as braking. Some of the Car Mags post a database of all the cars they've tested and I, for one, generally use that to rack and stack where my car and others fit in.

The original Z28 spent many an hour at the drag strip and most were very pleased with it's performance. I'm guessing, most people who will own a new Z28 will never hit a road course for lots of reasons, mostly that tracks are few and far between and expensive to run, especially since a set of tires could be gone in one track day. The drag strip cost $20 and is a venue where you can legally "open it up". However, some of our military guys lucky enough to get an assignment to Europe will have the blast of a lifetime!

My guess: 12.1@118

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:42 AM   #206
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
Curious that so many would object to the proposition that a Z28 would be tested on the 1/4 mile track. The 1/4 mile test is the standard measuring stick for every car magazine on every car they get their hands on. We all draw huge assumptions based on the 1/4 mile and 60' times it will post, as well as braking. Some of the Car Mags post a database of all the cars they've tested and I, for one, generally use that to rack and stack where my car and others fit in.

The original Z28 spent many an hour at the drag strip and most were very pleased with it's performance. I'm guessing, most people who will own a new Z28 will never hit a road course for lots of reasons, mostly that tracks are few and far between and expensive to run, especially since a set of tires could be gone in one track day. The drag strip cost $20 and is a venue where you can legally "open it up". However, some of our military guys lucky enough to get an assignment to Europe will have the blast of a lifetime!

My guess: 12.1@118
It's not that people are opposed to it being tested at 1/4 mile track, it's the notion that there are some people think that the Z/28 should dominate at the 1/4 mile track if it's the new king. This car was introduced as the ultimate Camaro road course car, Have you not heard or seen Jerry Ruess' introduction for the Z/28? He clearly states what the objective of the car is for. The majority of people here already know that.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #207
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post

The concern isn't as much that somebody eventually will run this car at the dragstrip as it is that there are people who would shift the Z/28's publicly-perceived focus away from its road course intent.

Placing so much emphasis on dragstrip stats skews the way the car is viewed even within the enthusiast segment. ETs and trap speeds is one thing, but as soon as you mention 60' times you've shown a clear dragstrip focus and a desire to make a dragstrip car out of the Z/28. That's where the objections lie.

On edit, simply opening it up in a straight line isn't challenging enough for some of us.

Worst downstream case would be for Chevy to listen to the dragstrip moaners about how 7 liters and 500+ HP wasn't performing in a straight line up to expectations, and they proceed to soften the road course capabilities to crutch the dragstrip numbers as a result.

"Standard measuring sticks" aside, we don't all have the drag racer's outlook and don't even think the same way. Suppose the corner-carvers here had asked what skidpad and slalom performances could be expected from the COPOs? With the implication being that some whining would result if those measurements came in below the performance level of, say, a base SS. That's what concentrating on dragstrip results for the Z/28 and hinting at comparisons to the ZL1 sounds like as heard out toward the other end of the enthusiast spectrum. Try to understand.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 05-02-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #208
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
^Well done!
Old 05-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #209
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
The concern isn't as much that somebody eventually will run this car at the dragstrip as it is that there are people who would shift the Z/28's publicly-perceived focus away from its road course intent.

Placing so much emphasis on dragstrip stats skews the way the car is viewed even within the enthusiast segment. ETs and trap speeds is one thing, but as soon as you mention 60' times you've shown a clear dragstrip focus and a desire to make a dragstrip car out of the Z/28. That's where the objections lie.

On edit, simply opening it up in a straight line isn't challenging enough for some of us.

Worst downstream case would be for Chevy to listen to the dragstrip moaners about how 7 liters and 500+ HP wasn't performing in a straight line up to expectations, and they proceed to soften the road course capabilities to crutch the dragstrip numbers as a result.

"Standard measuring sticks" aside, we don't all have the drag racer's outlook and don't even think the same way. Suppose the corner-carvers here had asked what skidpad and slalom performances could be expected from the COPOs? With the implication being that some whining would result if those measurements came in below the performance level of, say, a base SS. That's what concentrating on dragstrip results for the Z/28 and hinting at comparisons to the ZL1 sounds like as heard out toward the other end of the enthusiast spectrum. Try to understand.

Norm

ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #210
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post

Norm
Well said, I think part of the problem in this thread has been both sides though. OP asked a question, and some of the very first responses I have highlighted were pretty negative and harsh. Basically the vibe I got from alot of posters here in this thread was "DONT CARE NOT BUILT FOR IT SO NO ONE SHOULD CARE WHAT IT DOES ON THE 1/4 AND SHOULD NEVER EVEN THINK OF TAKING IT TO THE DRAGSTRIP"

I agree 1/4 is not be all end all performance test but like others said, its gonna be tested in the 1/4, and there will be people who take it there. Maybe the OP just wanted to know if someone challenged him at a stoplight how the Z/28 would fare, or maybe he was just stirring up some conversation.

Quote:
My guess on the z/28 1/4 times and mph is ZERO because nobody who buys one is going to want to be seen at a FREAKING DRAGSTRIP. I honestly don't get the 1/4 mile thing sometimes. It's not the be-all end-all of performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
No sh*t. Z/28 1/4 mi times: Boring.

Nurburgring, Laguna Seca, VIR, now those are times that show the engineering that went into the car and ones I look forward to learning.

And most critical- can it hold up to do it all day, day after day?

#74 on my Z/28 list of important facts: drag racing performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
I mean this with all due respect but I think you are missing the point of this beast. This car is more about handling and the "whole package" than just raw power.....
these are just some of the posts that came off to me as a bit aggressive, its not like the OP asked what it was gonna take to put it in the tens.

And I see where all the Z/28 purists / corner carver guys are coming from too. Yeah the Z/28 is not gonna be a monster on the 1/4 but thats because its going to devour pretty much any car on the race track because thats what this car was built for. That is where this car will excel.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote