Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-19-2012, 11:57 PM   #1
SonomaJohn

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS 6M Convertible
Hill Start Assist - Improvement or a Step Back

I am not sure the Hill Start Assist "feature" that was added this year is such a good thing. For those who are not familiar with it, when you stop on a hill holding the brake in low gear, it will keep the brakes on after you take your foot off the pedal to keep you from rolling backwards. Sounds like it might be a good idea but the problem is that it holds the brakes on for 2 seconds after the brake pedal is released. So for those of us who are quick and didn't have problems starting on hills will now probably kill the engine most every time because the brakes will still be on. Those with slow reactions that kept rolling backwards might do better.

This must of been an idea from the marketing department because it is more trouble than it is worth. There is a very handy parking brake that can be used to perform this function under the driver's control. Now I find that I have to remember to wait until the car just starts to roll back before I can take off. Why is this an improvement over what we have always had?
SonomaJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:02 AM   #2
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Ford has it on the 2013 Mustang too.

You don't need it if you can drive a manual properly, nor do you need to use the parking brake.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:13 AM   #3
SonomaJohn

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS 6M Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by two_wheel_mayhem View Post
Ford has it on the 2013 Mustang too.

You don't need it if you can drive a manual properly, nor do you need to use the parking brake.
One comment about using the parking brake on a hill. I drive in San Francisco very often and there are some hills there that even us old guys that have been driving sticks for 50 years use the parking brake!
SonomaJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:20 AM   #4
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
My 83 Subaru had it. Awesome stuff, I'm surprised more cars don't have them. I've driven manuals since 1972, so it's not like I have a problem on hills, but that hill brake was a cool deal regardless.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:48 AM   #5
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Learn to use all 4 limbs on a hill and you don't have any problems.

Left hand on steering wheel
Right hand on emergency brakes
Left leg feathering the clutch
Right leg modulating the throttle

There are quite a few 50+ degree incline in San Francisco and it never fails me. The only thing that I hate are retards that RIDE YOUR ASS CLOSE on a hill.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:52 AM   #6
snaphappy

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS2/RS LS3
Is there a way to deactivate the feature? Is it part of Stabilitrak? Sorry bad spelling
snaphappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:41 AM   #7
otter

Drives: Eastbound and Down
Looks like all the bay area people are speaking up. SF is a horrible place to drive a stick. The people behind you are the worst.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:44 AM   #8
REDXIIIDave
El Chupacabra

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6 Black/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaphappy View Post
Is there a way to deactivate the feature? Is it part of Stabilitrak? Sorry bad spelling
Wow. Someone who spelled perfectly, who says "sorry" for spelling.. I just thought you needed some positive reinforcement.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:28 AM   #9
SnowVert

Drives: Inferno Orange 2013 SS/RS LS3 6M
First, I will preface this by saying I have not driven a 2013 Camaro with this feature yet, so I am merely theorizing. If I'm incorrect, please correct me.

I did have Hill Assist on my last car. same idea, hold the brakes for an extra two seconds to give you just enough time to get rolling. with that system, it only applied the brakes just enough to hold the car from rolling backwards. Very light pressure will do this. In other words, it did not lock the wheels to prevent any and all movement. The purpose of this system is to let you start moving forward while it is still on.

OP, are you saying that in the Camaro, it applies so much pressure on the brakes that you are not able to move forward until it deactivates? If this is the case, it would be a step backwards. I would assume however that Chevrolet would not design a system such as this, as it requires you to guess when the two seconds are up. After all, once the hill assist releases the brakes, you would be in the same position as if the system did not even exist. To me, this wouldn't make sense.

SnowVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:39 AM   #10
dwinva

Drives: 13 2SS/RSvert,CRT,dual-mode exhaust
I picked up my 2013 a couple of weeks ago and I know what the OP it talking about. If you give it enough gas (1200-1500 RPM) and let out the clutch it will have enough power to overcome the braking. I'm guessing the OP is like me and doesn't give it that much throttle...over the years I have learned to keep the RPM's at or below 1000 while letting off the clutch when starting out...less clutch wear (my 1991 Jeep has 115K on the original clutch and it's still going strong). I'm not saying one way is better than the other, but if you're used to keeping your RPM's down then the hill assist takes some getting used to.
dwinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:56 AM   #11
67ss350camaro

Drives: 67 RS/SS 350, 97 V6, 12 V6, 17 V6
I looked at a 2012 Sonic for my daughter. It also has the hill assist. As it was explained to me (did not test it myself), the hill assist only holds until the accelerator is pressed and then it releases the brake. According to a Sonic brochure, if you turn off StabiliTrak it will disable the hill assist also.
97 V6 5-speed Coupe (work car ordered new)
2012 1LS (V6 6-speed) Coupe (new work car)
2017 1LS (V6 6-speed) Coupe (new new work car)
My Camaro
67ss350camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:42 AM   #12
dwinva

Drives: 13 2SS/RSvert,CRT,dual-mode exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ss350camaro View Post
I looked at a 2012 Sonic for my daughter. It also has the hill assist. As it was explained to me (did not test it myself), the hill assist only holds until the accelerator is pressed and then it releases the brake. According to a Sonic brochure, if you turn off StabiliTrak it will disable the hill assist also.
Interesting....in the Camaro pressing on the accelerator does not release the hill assist.
dwinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:04 AM   #13
MrGood

Drives: Broken palmghetto test car
Send a message via Yahoo to MrGood
You cant post negative things here in camarofanboyland what is wrong with you
MrGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:59 AM   #14
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
It deactivates almost instantly, it works off the clutch pedal safety switch.

You probably can't even tell it's happening, except for the fact that you don't roll backwards.