Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-12-2011, 11:56 PM   #1
Bond
Heritage Hanger

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, Black.
Achieving Low Gloss (Black Car)

I'm certain that the best my car ever looked was the first week I bought it.
Ok ok... now they're all pretty when they're new, but really. I take a whack of pics all the time. I just can't get enough of this girl! Below was taken last winter when I spent a day doing a full detail by hand.

So before I visit the dealer and ask their "secret" I thought I'd start here.

Is there a low gloss or low sheen polish out there? Or is there a method when applying?? I gotta know! I want that look back!! lol

My motivation in asking is looking for a way to hide surface scratches. My current (by hand) application gives me a mirror finish but up close I can see those scratches. Any suggestions? Or do I really need to invest in a Porter Cable, go old fashioned and work out those scratches?
Attached Images

Keeping The Spirit Alive!
Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:53 AM   #2
Ghost1LE

Drives: 2013 AGM 2SS/RS 1LE
Why mask them when you can remove them? It's safe with the Porter Cable and definitely necessary for any Black Car. You're white seats still get me man, they are just awesome when I get my SS within a year I will be putting White Leather Seats in them
Old 05-13-2011, 01:54 AM   #3
BLcamaro10

Drives: Black silver RS 10
the junkman on youtube great video on car care.
BLcamaro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:34 AM   #4
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
You should invest in the Porter Cable and some Adam's Polishes products. That will get you the results you are seeking.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:21 AM   #5
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Bottom line is to remove the imperfections and not just hide them you need a polisher... the good news is that somewhere in the hundreds of your fellow camaro owners on this site have gone from never touching a polisher before to getting great results. Its easy to learn and totally safe even for a novice.

As I've mentioned many times before: Its a numbers game -
  • A Porter Cable 7424xp oscillates 6800 times a minute
  • A Flex 3401vrg oscillates at 9600 times a minute with 480rpm
  • Your arm is caped around 40 oscillations per minute and even with 2 pots of coffee and a case of redbull you'd never maintain that speed for an entire car

Its gonna take some SERIOUS recreational drug use to even get your arm moving north of 60opm for any period of time, and you'd likely drop dead at the end of the process
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #6
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Bottom line is to remove the imperfections and not just hide them you need a polisher... the good news is that somewhere in the hundreds of your fellow camaro owners on this site have gone from never touching a polisher before to getting great results. Its easy to learn and totally safe even for a novice.

As I've mentioned many times before: Its a numbers game -
  • A Porter Cable 7424xp oscillates 6800 times a minute
  • A Flex 3401vrg oscillates at 9600 times a minute with 480rpm
  • Your arm is caped around 40 oscillations per minute and even with 2 pots of coffee and a case of redbull you'd never maintain that speed for an entire car

Its gonna take some SERIOUS recreational drug use to even get your arm moving north of 60opm for any period of time, and you'd likely drop dead at the end of the process
For a discount on recreational drugs to use, PM Dylan directly and use promo code CTRBND

Old 05-13-2011, 12:48 PM   #7
Adam's Polishes

shhhhhh.... don't be blowin' up the secret ingredient in detail spray... why do you think that stuff is so addictive? LOL
Old 05-13-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
h2oplay
Winners find a way

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS M6
There's no secret formula my friend, just the PC and some Adams.

You'll never look back....
h2oplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:33 PM   #9
Bond
Heritage Hanger

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, Black.
Damn expensive Porter Cable...

Ok Ok... I get it. Looks like I'll have to make the investment. You see, when I took the above pic, it was like I mentioned, after a day of "by hand" polishing and waxing. "By hand" wasn't the origional intention. I was out shopping for a PC the day before and didn't like the price, so I bought a cheap version that I learned later, didn't oscilate, but spun... at violent speeds! lol

All that one did was make a huge mess, and turned a tough job into a real pisser! So, I threw that hateful thing aside and spent the day... the whole day... by hand.

Dylan... what role do you play at Adams?? Cause Canadian Tire seem to be stuck exclusively on Megguiars and Mothers. I only wish they supplied Adams products. I spent some time watching Junkman's videos and would like to follow his steps to the tee.... unfortunately my first wrong step was buying that crap polisher. It was all down hill from there! lol

And thanks for the compliment skillz! I'm a sucker for the classic black and white look. I get it from my dad. Here's his 1971:
Attached Images

Keeping The Spirit Alive!
Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:05 PM   #10
Adam's Polishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond View Post
Dylan... what role do you play at Adams?? Cause Canadian Tire seem to be stuck exclusively on Megguiars and Mothers. I only wish they supplied Adams products. I spent some time watching Junkman's videos and would like to follow his steps to the tee.... unfortunately my first wrong step was buying that crap polisher. It was all down hill from there! lol
My job list of titles doesn't fit on my business card LOL... being a small outfit (9 people total) a lot of us have to fill a lot of roles.

You likely will never see us in a place like Canadian Tire, Pep boys, Kragen, etc... reason is thats not our business model. As you can tell from our involvement here on the forum that customer interaction and education is just a big a part of our line as anything - we simply can't rely on the afterschool HS kid to do our products any justice on store shelves.

Plus, thats a market that competes on price, not quality... you have to hit that magic $6.99 price point (or whatever it may be) for Detail Spray, doesn't matter how well it works, it has to be cheap... being that ours retails at $12.95 people simply wouldn't understand why.

We're content being a boutique and speed shop brand... the world of mass retail simply isn't for us and we kind of like it that way.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:20 PM   #11
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
Dylan, I was just at lowes and saw they have a PC 7346sp, I have gift cards for there, how does it stack up to the 7424xp? PS, never used a power tool to polish my car before, I watched the junkman vid about the 7424xp and it convinced me I was safe from buffing my paint off, lol, is the 7346sp just as safe?
Old 05-13-2011, 02:24 PM   #12
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond View Post
Damn expensive Porter Cable...

Ok Ok... I get it. Looks like I'll have to make the investment. You see, when I took the above pic, it was like I mentioned, after a day of "by hand" polishing and waxing. "By hand" wasn't the origional intention. I was out shopping for a PC the day before and didn't like the price, so I bought a cheap version that I learned later, didn't oscilate, but spun... at violent speeds! lol

All that one did was make a huge mess, and turned a tough job into a real pisser! So, I threw that hateful thing aside and spent the day... the whole day... by hand.

And thanks for the compliment skillz! I'm a sucker for the classic black and white look. I get it from my dad. Here's his 1971:
your dad's 71 is awesome, I have a 71 RS Camaro.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #13
Adam's Polishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinman View Post
Dylan, I was just at lowes and saw they have a PC 7346sp, I have gift cards for there, how does it stack up to the 7424xp? PS, never used a power tool to polish my car before, I watched the junkman vid about the 7424xp and it convinced me I was safe from buffing my paint off, lol, is the 7346sp just as safe?
The 7346sp is actually the EXACT same tool, the only difference will be the accessories its packaged with. Anything "SP" will include sanding discs, a sanding plate, and may have a different counterweight.

According to the Porter Cable parts list:

Quote:
Originally Posted by detlaportercable.com
The 7346SP includes Polishing pad, PSA Pad, Sanding disc, Side handle, Wrench.
So all you'd really need aside from the machine is the backing plate, pads, and polishes... if you have a gift card I say go for it!
Old 05-13-2011, 08:49 PM   #14
Uncle Harvey

Drives: 2011 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
My job list of titles doesn't fit on my business card LOL... being a small outfit (9 people total) a lot of us have to fill a lot of roles.

You likely will never see us in a place like Canadian Tire, Pep boys, Kragen, etc... reason is thats not our business model. As you can tell from our involvement here on the forum that customer interaction and education is just a big a part of our line as anything - we simply can't rely on the afterschool HS kid to do our products any justice on store shelves.

Plus, thats a market that competes on price, not quality... you have to hit that magic $6.99 price point (or whatever it may be) for Detail Spray, doesn't matter how well it works, it has to be cheap... being that ours retails at $12.95 people simply wouldn't understand why.

We're content being a boutique and speed shop brand... the world of mass retail simply isn't for us and we kind of like it that way.
I got to say I love my Adams stuff. It works great. The main reason that I by Adams is that you cant beat the support. Try to get one of the tortoise wax guys to answer one of your technical questions. On the other hand, Dylan or the Junkman or one of the many users on here will always give you a hand. Its a bonus to be supporting a small business. I own one and just like to see the little guy succeed.
Uncle Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote