Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-30-2015, 01:28 PM   #1
angryBits

Drives: ZL1 1LE A10
2015 ZL1 knock? Conclusion @ 4/27/15

Hey everyone, I'm new to Camaro5 and also a new first-time Camaro owner. Please forgive me if I'm asking a question that is common knowledge, I did try to use the search :/

I have a 100% stock 2015 ZL1 6spd MT which I bought new 2 weeks ago with only 25 miles on the Odometer.

The car consistently knocks while WOT from 2000rpm and maybe 33% of the time while WOT from 3000rpm. It occurs as soon as I see the boost gauge hit boost, it never knocks prior to boost. These aren't loud knocks and its not drivetrain noise and its not the supercharger clunking as far as I can tell. It's just a light tat tat tat that happens a few times when I'm WOT and then goes away. The car feels slightly down on power but not huge.

I've followed proper break-in procedure and now have 1600 miles on the car. The car has been knocking or at least what I believe is knocking since day 1. For the first 500 miles I assumed the dealer put crap gas in the car but by now I've definitely eliminated any of the original gas, I even tried octane booster since we only get 91 octane here in San Francisco. So then I thought maybe it just needed to do some knock learning and I should finish break-in and stay out of boost.

I decided to buy an Moroso Oil Catch Can and its on the way but I'm weary about touching the engine, I don't want anyone saying I voided my warranty.

If anyone has any insight to this, I'd love to get this awesome car running properly. Bear in mind I'm guessing this is a knock, it could be something else -- let me know if you have other ideas.

Thanks!

UPDATE @ 4/4/15: Dropped off at Fremont Chevrolet Post 77

UPDATE @ 4/7/15: GM Tech Round 1 Post 116

UPDATE @ 4/9/15: GM says, "Ignore what I said before" Post 168

UPDATE @ 4/10/15: GM says, "Knocking is normal". angryBits tries Race Gas! Post 216

UPDATE @ 4/13/15: KR @ 98 octane Post 248

UPDATE @ 4/27/15: HP Tuners Log File attached w/ KR Post 308

UPDATE @ 4/27/15: Conclusion & Juicy Data Post 310

Last edited by angryBits; 04-28-2015 at 03:26 AM.
angryBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:37 PM   #2
Vick415

Drives: 2014 ZL1
This one will be a bit tough to diagnose over a forum. If at all possible try to upload a audio/video so people can hear and provide a more concise opinion. Or invest in a unit like Dashlogic so you will be able see real time readings from your ECU. I see you are in the Bay Area, you are welcome to use mine if you are near the HMB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Vick415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:44 PM   #3
angryBits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vick415 View Post
This one will be a bit tough to diagnose over a forum. If at all possible try to upload a audio/video so people can hear and provide a more concise opinion. Or invest in a unit like Dashlogic so you will be able see real time readings from your ECU. I see you are in the Bay Area, you are welcome to use mine if you are near the HMB.

I'm actually in Pacifica, we're neighbors

Since you're get the same gas as I do, have you had any detonation issues?

Getting an audio/video clip would be tough, its not very loud -- my wife can't hear it and says I'm crazy but I know that "tat tat tat" my STI and Mazdaspeed 6 both made the same "tat tat tat" under boost until I got them properly tuned, but I don't want mess with this car until I trust it more. I saw someone on this forum blew a stock engine while just driving down the street -- I'd hate to pay for that myself.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:53 PM   #4
boondocksaint
Cartoon Maus

Drives: White ZL1, Chevroyota Prizolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by angryBits View Post
I'm actually in Pacifica, we're neighbors

Since you're get the same gas as I do, have you had any detonation issues?

Getting an audio/video clip would be tough, its not very loud -- my wife can't hear it and says I'm crazy but I know that "tat tat tat" my STI and Mazdaspeed 6 both made the same "tat tat tat" under boost until I got them properly tuned, but I don't want mess with this car until I trust it more. I saw someone on this forum blew a stock engine while just driving down the street -- I'd hate to pay for that myself.
You wouldn't. That's what the warranty is for.
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:04 PM   #5
Vick415

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I use several alarms setup within Dashlogic, detonation being one of them. So far no issues, however I am no longer on stock tune.

Heck you are few minutes from me feel free to PM

Vick415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:12 PM   #6
angryBits

Does Dashlogic require you to load software onto the car? I'm hoping to avoid that.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:13 PM   #7
angryBits

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocksaint View Post
You wouldn't. That's what the warranty is for.
That's why I'm trying to avoid touching the engine. I don't want anyone at GM to even think "voided warranty"
Old 03-30-2015, 03:04 PM   #8
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Sounds like bad gas to me....

SF bay area is used to Prius not ZL1's. lol j/k

The DashLogic is a great plug and play device that allows you to monitor your engine vitals. No software or tune needed.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:05 PM   #9
ss/rs/378

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Camaro Victory Red
Quote:
Hey everyone, I'm new to Camaro5 and also a new first-time Camaro owner. Please forgive me if I'm asking a question that is common knowledge, I did try to use the search :/

I have a 100% stock 2015 ZL1 6spd MT which I bought new 2 weeks ago with only 25 miles on the Odometer.

The car consistently knocks while WOT from 2000rpm and maybe 33% of the time while WOT from 3000rpm. It occurs as soon as I see the boost gauge hit boost, it never knocks prior to boost. These aren't loud knocks and its not drivetrain noise and its not the supercharger clunking as far as I can tell. It's just a light tat tat tat that happens a few times when I'm WOT and then goes away. The car feels slightly down on power but not huge.

I've followed proper break-in procedure and now have 1600 miles on the car. The car has been knocking or at least what I believe is knocking since day 1. For the first 500 miles I assumed the dealer put crap gas in the car but by now I've definitely eliminated any of the original gas, I even tried octane booster since we only get 91 octane here in San Francisco. So then I thought maybe it just needed to do some knock learning and I should finish break-in and stay out of boost.

I decided to buy an Moroso Oil Catch Can and its on the way but I'm weary about touching the engine, I don't want anyone saying I voided my warranty.

If anyone has any insight to this, I'd love to get this awesome car running properly. Bear in mind I'm guessing this is a knock, it could be something else -- let me know if you have other ideas.

Thanks!
I maybe wrong but if it is a 2015 I would take it back to the dealer and let them check everything out if there is a problem it won't be your problem!!!
2.55 UPPER PULLEY,100MM IDLER PULLEY,160 STAT,PORTED TB,PORTED SNOUT,MSD PLUG WIRES,NKG PLUGS,KENNE BELL EXTERNAL FUEL PUMP,2"KOOKS HEADERS,HIGH FLOW CATS,3"CORSA 60LB DEKA INJECTORS TUNED BY FROST 580RWHP,571RWTQ.
ss/rs/378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:46 PM   #10
angryBits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss/rs/378 View Post
I maybe wrong but if it is a 2015 I would take it back to the dealer and let them check everything out if there is a problem it won't be your problem!!!
I completely agree. But I'm afraid they're going to hold onto it for a week and then just tell me "It's normal for these cars".

I'll take it to the dealer if I have to but I'd prefer to try and diagnose it myself if I can.

Current: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Mods: MPS4s Tires | Borla Atak | CF Steering Wheel
Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
Old 03-30-2015, 03:49 PM   #11
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
I completely agree. But I'm afraid they're going to hold onto it for a week and then just tell me "It's normal for these cars".

I'll take it to the dealer if I have to but I'd prefer to try and diagnose it myself if I can.
Seems there are a few ZL1 C5 members that live in your area. I would be nice to them a arrange a meet up. Then you can test drive each others cars and make sure your not just hearing things.

Worth a shot.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:07 PM   #12
angryBits

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Seems there are a few ZL1 C5 members that live in your area. I would be nice to them a arrange a meet up. Then you can test drive each others cars and make sure your not just hearing things.

Worth a shot.
That is a good idea.

I also took Vick415's advice and bought a DashLogic. It will tell me about the knock plus it seems like a cool thing to have anyway.

Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
Old 03-30-2015, 04:25 PM   #13
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Does Dashlogic require you to load software onto the car? I'm hoping to avoid that.
I think I'd take Vick415 up on his offer to use his Dashlogic. It just plugs into the ODBII port and makes absolutely no changes to the ECU calibration.

Vick415 says he already has an alarm setup for detonation. If it goes off when you hear the tat, tat, tat, then you know you have a knock problem. If doesn't go off then you can be fairly certain that the sound your hearing is caused by something other than knock.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:40 PM   #14
angryBits

Ended up buying my own DashLogic.

If I see that it's knocking, then I'll take a look at the AFR and if it's way off then its probably something wrong with the MAF or intake. Otherwise, I'll try the oil catch can. If that doesn't do it -- it's going back to the dealer :(