Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-12-2008, 12:49 AM   #1
Supercoolyo

Drives: 1993 Mazda MX-6
I think Chevy just lost me on the SS... V6 for me.

First let me say that I wanted the SS Camaro all along, but due to recent poor decisions in my opinion I think I'll be getting the V6...

1. No blue in SS? Why not?!? Seeing as that it also makes a blue interior ambient lighting unavailable, only the V6 has the Aqua Blue Metallic and the blue ambient lighting.

2. Why did they change the front end from the concept on the SS so much? In my opinion, while the SS looks more aggressive, the V6 looks more aerodynamic and, from a design perspective, much cleaner in terms of looks.

I think the perfect car for me would be an Aqua Blue Metallic Camaro with the V8 and the V6's front end. Anyone else having the same thoughts, possibly with the royal blue as well?

Unfortunately everything is justifying the V6 right now...
6.1 sec 0-60 compared to 4.7 for the V8, less than 1.5 sec difference can be made up with basic bolt-on mods for cheaper than the V8.
The DI 300HP V6 is looking quite nice..
Lower price, lower insurance
And then my preference on color/design.

:( Looks like Chevy just lost a few thousand, and I lost a V8
Supercoolyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:55 AM   #2
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
This goes for everyone, can we give GM a little more time to explain before everyone gets themselves all freaked out.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:00 AM   #3
Supercoolyo

Not to be rude, but I don't know what explaining will do. Unless they change their color setup and I decide to live with the SS front fascia, I don't see this problem being resolved for me at least. And, I wasn't freaked out, but like many people here, this is my dream car and I'm sure that just like me, everyone has very specific dreams
Old 10-12-2008, 01:09 AM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercoolyo View Post
1. No blue in SS? Why not?!? Seeing as that it also makes a blue interior ambient lighting unavailable, only the V6 has the Aqua Blue Metallic and the blue ambient lighting.
The SS will have ambient lighting, too. You'll have to opt for the 2SS (I may have misread that part of your post, though). And there's a very REAL chance that blue gets offered on the SS. Believe it or not, they read these posts and listen to what we have to say. So the issue lies in whether or not we can make enough noise. Check out the main "blue on the SS" thread. It's been fwd'd to the people who can make this happen...post in there, let them know how you feel.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...448#post153448

Quote:
2. Why did they change the front end from the concept on the SS so much? In my opinion, while the SS looks more aggressive, the V6 looks more aerodynamic and, from a design perspective, much cleaner in terms of looks.
Many people, including the folks in the focus group stressed that they wanted the SS to look different from the V6 models; that was the main reason for the change, I'd imagine. But hang on till you see it in person (unless you already have). It's not that different when you see them side-by-side. You might like it...and for what it's worth, the SS is actually the more aerodynamic one by a small bit.

Either way, getting the V6 is certainly not a bad choice! But do hang on to that thought of an SS if that's what you really want...the issues you bring up can still change come ordering time.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:11 AM   #5
headpunter

Quote:
Not to be rude, but I don't know what explaining will do. Unless they change their color setup and I decide to live with the SS front fascia, I don't see this problem being resolved for me at least. And, I wasn't freaked out, but like many people here, this is my dream car and I'm sure that just like me, everyone has very specific dreams
explaining means they can tell us OOOPS we messed up.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:06 AM   #6
Supercoolyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
explaining means they can tell us OOOPS we messed up.
One can only hope...
Old 10-12-2008, 02:24 AM   #7
djpheer

Drives: 08 Civic SI
Lol, you think you can make up for the power of the LS3 with basic bolt ons? You are gonna be in for a shock my friend. Thats roughly a 25% decrease in time and 120+ horsepower you will have to makeup. Bolt ons may net you 20 hp outa that V6 if your lucky.
djpheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 02:32 AM   #8
headpunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpheer View Post
Lol, you think you can make up for the power of the LS3 with basic bolt ons? You are gonna be in for a shock my friend. Thats roughly a 25% decrease in time and 120+ horsepower you will have to makeup. Bolt ons may net you 20 hp outa that V6 if your lucky.
supercharger is a bolt-on if you wanna stretch.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:36 AM   #9
Supercoolyo

Heh, Procharger's a bolt-on, if they do one for the V6, it should be less expensive than the price difference between LT and SS.

Edit: Yup, as headpunter said. I pretty much had procharger's in mind when I made that comment.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:21 PM   #10
carfansince73

Drives: Carefully
Don't forget that upgraded Brembo brakes, or some other manufacturer, are going to cost you plenty. You don't even get an LSD with the V6 to handle all that power you plan to add? Adding all that with what you plan to spend on bolt-ons, and you will probably be over the cost of an SS.

As for lower insurance, most have a spot to list aftermarket add-ons if you want them insured in the event of an accident. Insuring them is going to cost you.
carfansince73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 05:51 PM   #11
Metal Gear SS

Drives: 1987 Chevrolet Corvette
I thought LSD is standard even on the V6?
Metal Gear SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 05:52 PM   #12
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpheer View Post
Old 10-12-2008, 05:54 PM   #13
headpunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Gear SS View Post
I thought LSD is standard even on the V6?
only on manual cars
Old 10-12-2008, 10:12 PM   #14
Silverghost

Drives: Z28
Quote:

I'm curious, what are you seeing as a big change? I just don't see the large change in the front end from the concept to production...

www.rivercityperformance.com

Last edited by Silverghost; 10-12-2008 at 11:57 PM.
Silverghost is offline   Reply With Quote