Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-19-2008, 11:32 PM   #1
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Angry changing a battery in the wintertime is FUN

*sarcastic mode off*

my car, Monty has headlights that come on automatically when it get dark, not night dark just darker. I was getting gas in my car and left the key to ON while paying for my gas. i came out to see how much gas the money i put in etc. i turned the key and nothing. I had one of the guys at the gas station jump me. i got it home and turned it off and back on and no problem. when i went to start the car tonight to put it in the driveway so i wont have to get up in the morning to move it (we have to move our cars from one side of the other, every day from october to march ). turned the key and nothing, my dad gave me a jump and i got the car in the driveway. i borrowed his car to go to wal mart, 65 bucks plus tax I was on the way home. Monty's battery is located under a brace that connects from the top of the right shock tower towards where the hood latch is. i am so looking forward to removing that brace and getting that bi... er battery out of there. if that is not fun enough I am replacing the bolts that fit into the terminals before screwing them to the battery itself. at least this setup is better than my last car, the dodge stratus. the damn battery was inside the fender itself . you had to jack up the car, take the wheel off and remove a panel and then slide it out and un hook it. when i was in an accident 2 years ago the body shop guys forgot to tighten the cables that go from the battery to the jump points under the hood. do you have ANY idea how hard it is to jack up a car in january with snow in the driveway .

*rant mode off*
Old 11-20-2008, 12:21 AM   #2
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
I spent 8 years in Northern Vermont.

Thank GOD, I'm home here in Florida!
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:43 AM   #3
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
i know it's rough, but it could've been worse. last feb, my mom's diesel died so i got to replace BOTH batteries in the cold.
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:07 AM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
ahhhh....the luxuries of having the battery in a cavernous, easily-accessible trunk.... I had to rub it in...a little.

Been there, done that. Mid-January 2007, I replaced my serpentine belt in a FWD minivan. Which = no space for my hands or tools...terrible layout underhood. It was FREEZING (~10 deg). And the metal brackets did not like my hands...

I feel your pain, Dave.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:59 PM   #5
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Angry

for any of you who own a 00-up monte carlo or impala or any other car that shares the platform (grand prix, intrigue, or regal/century etc) i feel your pain. I had to remove the aforementioned brace that runs diagonal from the right shock tower to the front of the engine bay near the hood latch. then i had to wrestle that bastard out from under the brace that houses the headlight and radiator support. and the OEM battery has NO handles it was all tipping it forward while pushing from underneath, i had to take the gloves off they were too bulky. the new battery went in and bolted down and hooked up in less than a minute. after i got in and started the car, it was all good. i then went in to make a big old cup of steaming hot tea, with a little something extra .
Old 11-20-2008, 02:22 PM   #6
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
I know exactly how you feel, but my car is a 98' and it was no better in that year, why, why is the battery sooooooooo damn hard to get to in our monty's pisses me off.I actually have to take the windshield washer fluid reservoir off of the car, along with the brace and a whole bunch of other shit. Changing a battery used to be a five minute job, now it takes me hours.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:22 PM   #7
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
ahhhh....the luxuries of having the battery in a cavernous, easily-accessible trunk.... I had to rub it in...a little.

Been there, done that. Mid-January 2007, I replaced my serpentine belt in a FWD minivan. Which = no space for my hands or tools...terrible layout underhood. It was FREEZING (~10 deg). And the metal brackets did not like my hands...

I feel your pain, Dave.
You should see the engine bay in an acadia, not much better.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:40 PM   #8
JaysonAych

Drives: 2002 Dodge Stratus
Dave, as a current Dodge Stratus owner, I will fully attest to the sheer stupidity of the battery location. Everything else is fairly easy to get to, but that is just a ridiculous place to put a battery. I had a wreck in it 4 years ago, and the fire department on scene said the battery had to be disconnected before they'd allow it to be towed. But because they couldn't get to it, they just cut the cables where they were visible. So that had to be added to the list of things to fix.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:28 PM   #9
CaptianSam
Car Garage

Drives: 350z,A4,SRT8...see sig
get a six cell li ion ... sooooo freaking worth it if you live in the cold
get one of those big ones...

On My Ipad
Xbox McLovin1515
Ps3 McLovin1555
Current Autos:68z28,03viperSRT10,04escalade,05RangeRoverSport SC
Project Autos:80corvette350-500hp 6speed,06charger S'C 6-speed posi,74Firebird400blue,69chevelle572 707
New Autos:2012CamaroSSRS,09ChallengerSRT8
Past Autos:....too many to list

"i told you it was gettin' an LS3"
Go down deep enough into anything and you will find mathematics. Dean Schlicter
B.Sc. Hons. Mathematics
CaptianSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:16 PM   #10
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
This is why I live in Texas. It was 76 here today.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:37 PM   #11
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysonAych View Post
Dave, as a current Dodge Stratus owner, I will fully attest to the sheer stupidity of the battery location. Everything else is fairly easy to get to, but that is just a ridiculous place to put a battery. I had a wreck in it 4 years ago, and the fire department on scene said the battery had to be disconnected before they'd allow it to be towed. But because they couldn't get to it, they just cut the cables where they were visible. So that had to be added to the list of things to fix.
yeah the reason i had to tighten the cables in mine was an accident in 2006. the battery was cracked on impact and the body shop guys put a new one in but they did NOT tighten the bolts on the terminals that connect from the battery to the jump points under the hood. i was driving home one night and my lights flickered and dimmed and came back on again and all the gauges went to zero and back up again. i was on a back road, about 10-15 miles away from home at night in feb. when i pulled in the driveway i turned the car off and then TRIED to start it nothing. when i finally got the damn thing off of the ground, and got that panel off (loosing or breaking the plastic 'twisties' that hold the panel on) the positive cable was tight but the negative one took 3- 4 turns to tighten it, it was THAT loose .