Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 12-28-2011, 09:37 AM   #15
TankMorph
More Human Than Human

Drives: 2011 1LT IOM M6
First of all, I don't have anything to add on disassembly of the ignition switch.

I've added push-to-start buttons and number pads on other vehicles in the past. In my experience, it's best to take the steering wheel lock mechanism out entirely (or modify it to disable it), and LEAVE the stock ignition switch in place. If you don't have the HUD, that spot to the right of the steering column is a great spot for push-to-start IMHO.
TankMorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:10 PM   #16
matteo

Drives: '10 IBM 2SS, '01 Black SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankMorph View Post
First of all, I don't have anything to add on disassembly of the ignition switch.

I've added push-to-start buttons and number pads on other vehicles in the past. In my experience, it's best to take the steering wheel lock mechanism out entirely (or modify it to disable it), and LEAVE the stock ignition switch in place. If you don't have the HUD, that spot to the right of the steering column is a great spot for push-to-start IMHO.
Not a bad idea. That's my back up plan.

And thanks for the response PaulSS and SSMikey, real helpful stuff.
matteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:22 PM   #17
TankMorph
More Human Than Human

Drives: 2011 1LT IOM M6
Ignore the haters. It's your car. Do what you want.
TankMorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:41 PM   #18
MikeOD

Drives: 2010 M6 2SS
If the key isn't completely folded open, the car will not crank (go try it, hold your key slightly unfolded while in the ignition and try to start your car)...I believe there is some wireless communication between the key and the car...so you may still need to do like was mentioned above and remove the roll pin from the key so that you can leave it "unfolded"...and hopefully when it's in your pocket, it will be close enough for the car to see that it's there and crank...I'm not sure if it has to be within inches of the ignition switch, or just in the car like the keyless GM stuff.

2010 Camaro SS M6. Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Suspension
MikeOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:53 PM   #19
matteo

Drives: '10 IBM 2SS, '01 Black SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
If the key isn't completely folded open, the car will not crank (go try it, hold your key slightly unfolded while in the ignition and try to start your car)...I believe there is some wireless communication between the key and the car...so you may still need to do like was mentioned above and remove the roll pin from the key so that you can leave it "unfolded"...and hopefully when it's in your pocket, it will be close enough for the car to see that it's there and crank...I'm not sure if it has to be within inches of the ignition switch, or just in the car like the keyless GM stuff.
I have a module that tricks the computer to think the GM key is close by. The whole system is working and it's awesome, I just need to get the ignition cylinder off the steering wheel so the wheel lock will be removed.
matteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 09:31 PM   #20
Ferg32

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
I know this is older post, but did anyone ever figure out if the switch has a lock pin that can be removed or cut?
Ferg32 is offline   Reply With Quote