Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-25-2012, 02:18 AM   #71
RIPws6

Drives: 2019 2SS Riverside Blue
Attached Images

RIPws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:54 AM   #72
Hollywood2010

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
Are you sure that wasn't you? We all know you hate Firebirds.

Personally, if Pontiac didn't die and they made a T/A to be sold alongside the Camaro, I wouldn't be on this forum right now.

My favorite classics are the late second gen Trans Ams and I actually used to have one... turned out for the worst, so needless to say I was sad to see Pontiac go.

Booyah:
Agreed

Sent from my samsung galaxy s 3
Old 09-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #73
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROndrey View Post
I like what Buick has done to revitalize their lineup but I still think it should have been them, and not Pontiac who got put on the chopping block.

Sent from my webOS Touchpad using Tapatalk 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoansDriver View Post
Buick gets a lot of business from the rental car sector. At least that was my understanding why they survived, while Oldsmobile and Pontiac did not.
Not even close. Buick owes its existence to its unbridled success in the Chinese market. Plus they have one of the highest conquest rates in the industry and high ATP. They're a profit machine for GM.

Pontiac? By the end, they had a rebadged Aveo, rebadged Cobalt, rebodied Malibu that will go down in history as one of the biggest fleet queens ever, rebadged Equinox, and rebadged Toyota Matrix. The only high points in the whole lineup were the G8 and Solstice. Couple that with no overseas market and Pontiac was sunk.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:03 AM   #74
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS LS3 and 1968 Mustang
I want a GTO
Old 09-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #75
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPws6 View Post
Had a car just like this last night "break bad" with me, same color too. He saw me coming down the road and jumped in front of me and powered on. Car sounded great. I wanted to catch up to him to admire his car but he sped off and turned right and I needed to keep going forward. I think he thought I wanted to race but I don't race.
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:59 AM   #76
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
Own a G6 GT Coupe now as my DD. Love that car, love Pontiac, built a forum around the whole premise of Pontiac being remembered.

Probably would have gotten a Firebird too if they were still around. Would love to get my hands on any year GTO, especially a '65. Plus always loved the styling around Firebirds, especially the first gen.

Don't think a "specialty brand" for all performance cars from GM, like Chrysler is doing, will ever work (go find that thread for my thoughts). I still think though they could bring back Pontiac as a specialty car (GTO or Firebird) and sell at Chevy, I think those are the only 2 that would make sense and sell because of their heritage plus the performance factor behind them. As much as I would like a G8 exterior again, GM is already bringing the new version of the Holden Commodore over as a Chevy so I don't think they would bring that back as a Pontiac too lol. A Solstice like car could make it as a Chevy but I think bringing that back as a "specialty Pontiac" car won't work.
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #77
IrocJack

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS RJT
'79 TA & '87 Fiero GT
Miss my Pontiac's.
Attached Images

IrocJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #78
CaryE1

Drives: Black 2011 2LT
I've owned many cars throughout the years, several Fords, Pontiacs, Chevy's, a Toyota, a couple of Datsun/Nissans, and even an International pickup. About 10 years ago, I swore I'd never buy another American car - I have just had too many troubles with them. Then, in 2008, I was looking for a * new-to-me * car. I went to a large local used car dealer looking for a specific car I saw advertized, but it had sold the day before. I told the salesman what I wanted - and what I didn't want; but he talked me into test-driving a 2008 G6, with about 8000 miles on it. I'd never even heard of the G6 -- but that car was hand's-down the best car (in my price-range) on the lot.

Of course, I bought it, and it was up to that point the best car I have ever owned. I never have had any trouble with it, it handles like a sports car, it's quick, and wasn't too big or too small. In fact, I babied that car as much as I do my Camaro now That car completely changed my mind about GM engineering, and I was really sad a few months after my purchase when Pontiac closed.

Last year, I sold it to buy my Camaro. But it didn't go too far away -- my gf liked it so much, she sold her 2005 Saturn and bought it. in fact, I liked it so much, that I was looking at G8's last year - and if I would have found a good-shape low-mileage G8 before I purchased my Camaro, I might be on a different forum right now.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:08 PM   #79
dragon2368
Dragon2368

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS IOM
You know as many Pontiac's that I see on the road in my area it makes me wonder how in the world it wouldn't be profitable to keep the line around?? I see them everywhere and the newly young licensed drivers here usually wind up with a Pontiac car! So I am not sure why the brand wasn't profitable???
But of course I owned an Aztek an loved that stupid thing even though it was ugly!! LOL!
dragon2368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #80
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
If a T/A had been available i would be driving that right now.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:14 PM   #81
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon2368 View Post
You know as many Pontiac's that I see on the road in my area it makes me wonder how in the world it wouldn't be profitable to keep the line around?? I see them everywhere and the newly young licensed drivers here usually wind up with a Pontiac car! So I am not sure why the brand wasn't profitable???
But of course I owned an Aztek an loved that stupid thing even though it was ugly!! LOL!
very simple -- if you're losing money - it does not matter how many cars you build - you're losing money on each one.

As to why Buick remained and Pontiac/Saturn disappeared?

Pontiac and Saturn were losing money. Buick was not (premium price) -- plus as my friend from Ohio points out -we sell many many more in China than we do the United States.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:18 PM   #82
bandit38

Drives: Camaro SS - Trans Am - Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
very simple -- if you're losing money - it does not matter how many cars you build - you're losing money on each one.

As to why Buick remained and Pontiac/Saturn disappeared?

Pontiac and Saturn were losing money. Buick was not (premium price) -- plus as my friend from Ohio points out -we sell many many more in China than we do the United States.
I'd like to think maybe one day Pontiac will come back as a more limited brand with just a couple of cars....maybe they could be profitable that way.

I often wonder if that could happen since they didn't sell it to Penske when he wanted to buy it.

False hope or not....I hope it happens some day

They built some great cars !
Old 09-26-2012, 03:14 AM   #83
RIPws6

Drives: 2019 2SS Riverside Blue
I loved my WS6 but have to admit the 5gen Camaro is an upgrade in many ways though I wished the styling had more T.A. cues...
One thing I love more about the Camaro vs the WS6 F-body is that my knees dont take such a beating getting in and out of the car. Yep! Thats an important factor when you are over 40. The WS6 was WAY low to the ground. My biggest bitch getting out of the Camaro is clubbing the door with my foot....but at least Im at sea level when I climb out. lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyko1 View Post
Had a car just like this last night "break bad" with me, same color too. He saw me coming down the road and jumped in front of me and powered on. Car sounded great. I wanted to catch up to him to admire his car but he sped off and turned right and I needed to keep going forward. I think he thought I wanted to race but I don't race.
RIPws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:19 AM   #84
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Pontiac should have stayed and Buick got the axe. Guess too much money had been spent on Tiger Woods to let it go for the moment.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote