Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-23-2011, 12:52 AM   #1
Bacalar

Drives: Camaro SS
Best options for this situation

Hello, i am about to buy a camaro ss 2010 or 2011 for 1/4 drag racing. My question is after buying a stock camaro ss what is the best parts to tune up the camaro with and brands? All advice is appreciated.
Bacalar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:59 AM   #2
camaroitalia
Go Harder Than Baltimore!

Drives: 2010 CGM
well... i would get the lsx 454 twin turbo
Old 08-23-2011, 02:47 AM   #3
REDXIIIDave
El Chupacabra

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6 Black/Black
Make sure you have a good life insurance policy. And an automatic transmission.
REDXIIIDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:46 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
if you are having to ask this question......you probably are not ready to take on this endevor.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:04 AM   #5
HookemHorns

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 Red Hot Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
if you are having to ask this question......you probably are not ready to take on this endevor.
HookemHorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:11 AM   #6
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
if you are having to ask this question......you probably are not ready to take on this endeavor.
Not to be rude, but Nuke makes a very good point here. In my opinion, so take it as it were, I would educate yourself about the camaro and the aftermarket bolt-ons that are available for it. Want to point out here, I am not calling you dumb or anything like that. Just that you should be knowledgeable (at least somewhat) in the subject that you're about to start pouring money into. On the note of pouring money: once you start modding, you can't stop; and I don't mean "can't" as in you don't want to stop. I'm saying you will physically be unable stop modding, it's a horrible horrible addiction that I, and most members on this site, embrace fully.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:32 AM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Not to be rude, but Nuke makes a very good point here. In my opinion, so take it as it were, I would educate yourself about the camaro and the aftermarket bolt-ons that are available for it. Want to point out here, I am not calling you dumb or anything like that. Just that you should be knowledgeable (at least somewhat) in the subject that you're about to start pouring money into. On the note of pouring money: once you start modding, you can't stop; and I don't mean "can't" as in you don't want to stop. I'm saying you will physically be unable stop modding, it's a horrible horrible addiction that I, and most members on this site, embrace fully.

and I'm sorry if I came off a little blunt.....but cars dedicated for the track, as yours is inteded to be, are kind of like "HOLES ON THE ROAD, THAT YOU POUR MONEY INTO!!" I'm just saying.......BEEN THERE DONE THAT!
Old 08-23-2011, 11:25 AM   #8
Bacalar

Ok thanks for that advice that i shouldnt, but no one has answered my question as yet. Could someone please tell me what is the best way to go?
Old 08-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #9
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacalar View Post
Ok thanks for that advice that i shouldnt, but no one has answered my question as yet. Could someone please tell me what is the best way to go?
You'll need to form your own opinion on this. Opinions here are like a-holes. Everyone has one, and they are different. Posting a question like yours is an open invitation to start countless arguments and you really aren't going to get the information you want this way.

There are countless threads devoted to discussing the very thing you're asking. I suggest going to the Engine/Drivetrain section and the Technical section, and start poring through the NUMEROUS threads devoted to every possible topic related to the Camaro.

The point is...do your own research...or go to a shop like Hennessey or one of the other major shops, and just pay them to do your work for you.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:35 AM   #10
SRFnSNO

Drives: Blown & Flamed
what bracket do you want to run in?

Frame and suspension work.
Motor work, cam, tune, headers, Super charger or turbo, Nos.....
Roll cage, helmet, fire suite.

Search the site there is a lot of information here.
SRFnSNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:40 AM   #11
Guyute

Drives: Black 6 speed SS
If it's just for the 1/4 mile and that's all I would just find an old fox body Mustang and start from the ground up with that.
Guyute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #12
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Tires, axels, bushings, trailing arms, sway bars and end links, toe bars, LCAs...

Once the suspension can put the power to the road, you need to move to brakes.... Stainless lines, better pads, separate the clutch/brake system if it's M6.

Once the suspension can handle the power AND the brakes can stop the car...

Headers, intake, tune, F/I, NO2...

Go in order. Have fun.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:41 PM   #13
Bacalar

Thanks a lot jrhaus76, your the first to answer my question. Anyone else have any more adice?
Old 08-23-2011, 05:02 PM   #14
B-Rex

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
An exhaust and an intake are proibably the simplest boltons you can do, and give you a little bit of that real muscle car feel and sound. They don't make too terribly much of a difference by themsleves but, when you get into modding the engine they are good supporting mods.

For suspension, talk to a Pedders, Pfadt, or BMR guy. They have been the most helpful to me. Suspension would be the first place to do serious mod work, because if you can't get your power to the ground then it isn't doing you any good.

The stock tires are nice, but i would invest in some 18" wheels and some Drag radials that you swap out for your nights at the track.

This is the route I am taking, after going to the track and figuring out that (even in the thin Colorado air) you need to beef up the suspension to set yourself a good foundation.

If you set your car up for the strip, it will lose daily drivability and handling on corners.

One more thing I'd like to add: just go to the strip and practice. If you pay attention to your runs and don't just space out like some people i see then you will be able to tell what you need to do. Trial and error and practice will get you a long way

sorry for the wall of text, it just happend