Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Horror story involving GM Major Guard, dealership and towing company!

There is a happy ending

Don't hate, but I don't have Onstar. They would've helped me in two seconds. At this point, I'm thinking about resubscribing...

But, to get this story started, we need the intro. So yesterday, I decided to plastidip my chrome taillight bezels white. Well took them off and did everything no problem. Started painting them, no problem. Finished and let them dry. I went to put them on my car and so I opened my trunk and put them on. Looked good, so I closed the trunk to see them better:

Name:  Resize 2.jpg
Views: 4349
Size:  166.9 KB

Argh! Forgot my keys in my trunk and it's 8 PM!

My spare is with my folks in Tampa. Ok, no problem, this is why I have the GM Protection Plan extended warranty since it includes 24/7 roadside assistance. Called them and they sent a guy to open my door. Well since the door auto-indexes and the method he was trying to use pumps air in between the window and the car to create an opening, he is unable to open the car and is scared if he pumps to much air to create the opening he will shatter the glass.

Ok, well now GMPP calls me and tells me they will have a flat bed to take me to the dealership in the morning. A different guy from the same tow truck company comes and he uses a slim jim to try to just push the locking mechanism up... well after 25 minutes of that he says let's just tow this thing to the dealership. I thought this sucks, but at the very least I can snap in some fun pictures!

Name:  Resized 3.jpg
Views: 4366
Size:  114.6 KB

Name:  Resized 4.jpg
Views: 3316
Size:  164.6 KB

Ok, so now I'm at the dealership. Well they tell me there's nothing they can do I am so frustrated at this point! I mean I'm at the dealership, two guys have tried to open my car, and no one can freaking get my door open! They tell me I have a couple options: I can call and try to activate onstar (for a fee), or I can have a dealership in Ocala (45 minutes away) make me a laser cut key. Of course the latter option would cost 200+ dollars.

So I call GMPP again and say that I have paid for their service which includes roadside assistance. Why should I have to pay to make a key if they are unable to complete their service? The response is if roadside assistance is unable to get in your car, the responsibility and cost of opening the car is on you. WTF? I thought that's what I paid GMPP for??

Anyways 2 hours into being at the dealership, long story here I know, the service manager of the dealership calls GMPP again, they send out a locksmith, and lo and behold, in less than five minutes the door is open! I guess the tow truck company guys were just not good at getting doors open

I ended up giving the locksmith a hug LOL!

So breakdown:

1) 2 tow truck guys unsuccessful at opening my car.

2) Dealership unsuccessful at opening my car.

3) GMPP not willing to pay for a key if roadside assistance (their service) doesn't work.

4) Locksmith is able to save the day (next time I'm specifically asking for him).

5) 16 hours after initially calling GMPP, I can finally drive my car.

I hope my tail light bezels being white was worth all this!
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

So if anyone wants to know why I don't have Onstar here's why:

Onstar and GMPP offer similar services like 24/7 roadside assistance, gas delivery if you run out, etc. Onstar does offer more, in terms of opening the car, like what I needed today: unlocking the doors.

BUT, GMPP is primarily an extended warranty. I have almost the same bumper-to-bumper warranty on my car as when new for 60,000 miles AFTER the 36,000 miles. So I have warranty and roadside assistance for 6 years and 60,000 miles after my bumper-to-bumper ended... and I thought why pay for the same service twice.

Yeah it would've helped today, but for the majority of times, it is still pretty much the same service.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
SS ORANGE CRUSH SS

Drives: Inferno Orange 2SS RS Convertible
Oh by the way great looking bezels!!!!
Old 06-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
Run Ricky run
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro ls
It amazes me that someone would opt for a service other than on star
Run Ricky run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Ricky run View Post
It amazes me that someone would opt for a service other than on star
Hey, if Onstar offered extended warranty, I would've been all over that!
Old 06-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #6
Run Ricky run
Account Suspended

That extended warranty sure has come in handy (;
Old 06-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #7
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
That extended warranty sure has come in handy (;
Lol, two rotors resurfaced, PDIM module replaced, right-side speaker replaced all on extended warranty. I would say it's been helpful

If you want to pay for my Onstar, I would be more than happy to let you though
Old 06-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
Run Ricky run
Account Suspended

But all of that would've been replaced through the factory warranty....
Old 06-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #9
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
But all of that would've been replaced through the factory warranty....
Yeah but I'm at 45,000 miles. My factory warranty ended a while ago. That's why I have the EXTENDED warranty

My car was made in Feb of 09, she's had a lot of time to put on miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS ORANGE CRUSH SS View Post
Oh by the way great looking bezels!!!!
Thanks! Wasn't sure about the look at first, but I'm really started to dig it when my stripes come in, everything will come together!
Old 06-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #10
SS ORANGE CRUSH SS

Drives: Inferno Orange 2SS RS Convertible
Which stripes are you going with???
Old 06-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #11
coloeb

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS 6L50 automatic TF-3
there are many thingss an extended warranty does not cover. Locking your keys in the car is one of them. Onstar offers much more than just roadside assistance. The directions and connections package is very handy. GMPP is great and I have an extended plan with them as well but a few things they cant do
Detect an air bag deployment and send help if needed
Kill your car and tell the police exactly where it is , in the event of theft.
Run diagnostics on your car in real time,
I do a lot of traveling for both work and pleasure and the service is worth it to me.
your white bezels look great ! accents the rear really well.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #12
Run Ricky run
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloeb View Post
there are many thingss an extended warranty does not cover. Locking your keys in the car is one of them. Onstar offers much more than just roadside assistance. The directions and connections package is very handy. GMPP is great and I have an extended plan with them as well but a few things they cant do
Detect an air bag deployment and send help if needed
Kill your car and tell the police exactly where it is , in the event of theft.
Run diagnostics on your car in real time,
I do a lot of traveling for both work and pleasure and the service is worth it to me.
your white bezels look great ! accents the rear really well.
Right, which Is why I was amazed someone would opt for a service that wasnt onstar. Crazy if you ask me
Old 06-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #13
RJTV6A

Drives: 69 Camaro I6 no prob,11 V6 big prob
Try this, Press the On Star button now. Tell them your considering signing back up for it again. Ask if there are any FREE trial periods. I got 6 months free just for asking. Maybe they will be sympathetic and offer you a deal.

BTW the bezels do look nice
RJTV6A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #14
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Haha. I have also locked my keys in the trunk. I was at a hotel not far from a race track with the camaro group that we have here in the panhandle area. So I wake up find dew on my car so I go to clean. Get my stuff but put the key in the trunk and ofcourse I close it. My spare key was at my house 100 miles away and this the one time my dad doesn't bring it with him. So I try onstar and like I don't have the service but my reason is because I don't drive my car often. Well onstar says they can't help because a link could not be established with my vehicle and I I need to be inside. Well the cops that were protecting our cars that might decided to try with a slim Jim. Nothing. I decided to call GM roadside assistance and 15 minuets later a guy came and opened my doors with the air between the window trick and a very long stick to reach the door handle. I had to crawl through the back seats and pull the release tab in the trunk to get out and find my keys. Needles to say my Expirence wasn't as bad as yours as it only took 2 hours but Unfortunitly I missed out on the cruise the other camaros had.

Oh by the way nice tail light bezels
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote