Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 03-23-2010, 07:20 AM   #1
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
The LF3 - Twin Turbo V6 is Confirmed!

Ford Motor Company’s recent introduction of their twin-turbo 3.5L V6 has brought the industry limelight to high tech, forced induction V6 powertrains. Rumors of General Motors joining in on the turbocharged V6 arena have been around for several years now, however GMI has confirmed that The General really will be joining Ford in the high tech turbo bandwagon.

According to GM engineering sources, GM is currently working on a twin-turbo 3.0L V6. Development on the new engine is so far along that it has a PRO code of “LF3.” The naturally aspirated 3.0L debuted in several 2010 products with direct injection and has the code “LF1.”

GMI was not able to obtain projected power ratings on the new engine, however output is very application specific under new SAE testing rules. Sources did say to expect the engine to rival Ford’s EcoBoost 3.5L.

The engine’s introduction is expected in late 2011 or early 2012 in the Cadillac XTS. Sources also state that GM is looking to use the engine in the Cadillac ATS and possibly even the next Chevrolet Camaro. Cadillac has historically always debuted new variants of the High-Feature V6 lineup, so it comes as no surprise that the XTS is the likely to pioneer the 3.0L twin-turbo.

Most rumors surrounding the potential of a turbocharged V6 out of GM have centered on the company’s 3.6L V6. A couple of years ago GMI was told that GM had twin-turbo 3.6L V6’s in development that were generating as much as 435 horsepower. Information regarding the potential of a blown 3.6L silenced for years until GM showed a 3.6L twin-turbo V6-powered Camaro show car at the 2009 SEMA show. The Camaro show car was generating 425 horsepower.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...-coming-90244/
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:31 AM   #2
camarowa

Drives: 2013 SVT Raptor, sold 2010 Camaro
cool.
- Blacked-Out Bowties & RS Emblems, Front bowtie delete
- Full Dynamat Extreme Trunk Coverage
- Tinted side markers
- Interior DSV Customs Leather Upgrades
- Airaid CAI V2
- Forgestar F14 Gunmetal 20x9, 20x11
- Doug Thorley Shorties
camarowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:40 AM   #3
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
GM rocks my socks.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
coolman

Doesn't really surprise me at all. The V-8 engine's days are numbered and all the car companies know it. I can't wait to see it. I would love to see a 350hp buick or malibu SS.
I would say get your SS camaro's with the ls motor while you can because it wouldn't surprise me if the only v-8 you'll be able to get is a top tier model that will be out of most peoples reach.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:51 AM   #5
HondaPowered

Drives: '09 Honda Civic LX
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
Doesn't really surprise me at all. The V-8 engine's days are numbered and all the car companies know it. I can't wait to see it. I would love to see a 350hp buick or malibu SS.
I would say get your SS camaro's with the ls motor while you can because it wouldn't surprise me if the only v-8 you'll be able to get is a top tier model that will be out of most peoples reach.
I know you were just stating your opinion, but I agree, and disagree with you. I do feel that the v-8 is running out of time, but I feel that it won't be for at least 8 years. There are so many engines these days, that even if they stopped production today, they wouldn't sell them all for a while. And if they put it out of peoples reach, they would go in debt.... again

Dream camaro is either a 1/2SS with RS, black with red stripes, or red with white stripes.

No rice with my order.
HondaPowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:59 AM   #6
Reeko

Drives: 69 Camaro RS Conv. 2010 Camaro SS
Sorry, but IMHO, the V8 will never die.
Look at European high performance cars like Mecedes and BMW, lots of v8/v10/v12 engines etc.

There will allwasy be a market for more HP. Yes you can get 400HP from a V6, but you can get 500-600 easily from a V8.

I would rather have a V8 that doesn't need to be blown to get 425 HP, then a motor that requires tons of boost.
Reeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:01 PM   #7
Hylton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeko View Post
Look at European high performance cars like Mecedes and BMW, lots of v8/v10/v12 engines etc.

There will allwasy be a market for more HP. Yes you can get 400HP from a V6, but you can get 500-600 easily from a V8.

I would rather have a V8 that doesn't need to be blown to get 425 HP, then a motor that requires tons of boost.
All true but you are forgetting an important issue: upcoming CAFE requirements.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:02 PM   #8
HondaPowered

Drives: '09 Honda Civic LX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeko View Post

good point, but if you look at the high performance cars, compared to the cars that most of america drives, you will see this is a huge difference in the amount.

Dream camaro is either a 1/2SS with RS, black with red stripes, or red with white stripes.

No rice with my order.
HondaPowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:06 PM   #9
coolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaPowered View Post
I know you were just stating your opinion, but I agree, and disagree with you. I do feel that the v-8 is running out of time, but I feel that it won't be for at least 8 years. There are so many engines these days, that even if they stopped production today, they wouldn't sell them all for a while. And if they put it out of peoples reach, they would go in debt.... again
This very forum is proof to me that a large part of the people have a limit to what they'll spend for performance. Every time someone brings up an argument about camaro vs mustang the GT500 comes up and the number one argument against it is the cost. If they can't sell a car to the masses then it's dead ,and they aren't going to sell 100,000 $55k to $60k camaro's every year. With the new cafe standards coming in the V-8 will not be in the line up in large production. I wish it wasn't so, but it's the way the world is heading. Until someone comes up with a way to get 40mpg out of V-8 it's days are numbered.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:42 PM   #10
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
I just hope that if GM is definitely going to Turbo the V-6, that this does not mean that there will not be a SuperCharged Z-28.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:03 PM   #11
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
CAFE=

and thats all I'm gonna say about that

As for the OP, cool info about the V6!
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:05 PM   #12
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Why does a TTV6 have to exclude a Z28 V8? Why can't we have both?
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #13
Hylton

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Why does a TTV6 have to exclude a Z28 V8? Why can't we have both?
We don't need to worry about this upcoming Z/28. It will be what has been asked for. Bets are off as to what the 6th gen will have under the hood though..
Old 03-23-2010, 01:11 PM   #14
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
A supercharged Z-28, not the V8 Z-28