Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-17-2011, 04:47 PM   #1
FastEddie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 IOM LS3 2SS/RS Camaro
DIY ZL1 build?!

Let's figure out what it would take to get a LS3 2SS/RS to be a clone of the ZL1 shall we? I know you have had the same thought! Any insights on difficulty, cost, weight and compatibility of parts would be greatly appreciated. Speculation is encouraged! This should prove fun, given, I have been daydreaming about this possibility since I first saw the blessed thing!
FastEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
Transdamm

Drives: BMW 650I
The mag suspension would be a huge task.. Would never be worth it price wise.. You would be better off taking a bath trading in your SS and buying a Z.
Transdamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:24 PM   #3
SSLarry

Drives: 2SS LS3
We can't clone what we don't know.

2010 CGM 2SS LS3, born: 4/10
SSLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:22 PM   #4
FastEddie
Account Suspended

We as a community (Camaro5) know plentyabout the ZL1! Lets pool what we can come up with and indulge in a little "what-if". If its not worth it in your mind explain why you feel that way and back it up with a little info enlighten us. Hell its free to speculate. Pretend money was NO object- how much would it cost? What better way to discern the added value of the ZL1 than to show what the improvements would cost to do oneself as opposed to whatever it ultimately ends up costing.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:54 PM   #5
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Well, most of the LSA is different than LS3. Different block, heads, rotating reciprocating assembly, accessory drive, EPS (not to mention the supporting hardware and software for the EPS). The bolt-on body panels are easy enough. I seriously doubt you could find a comparable body kit that has the aerodynamic benefits of the OEM ZL1 components. While the MR shocks might not be as expensive as CF brakes, you need a controller, and a whole host of supporting hardware, AND software. You could easily duplicate that by spending a few grand on suspension solutions from one of our great Sponsors, and probably have better performance, but still lack every-day comfort GM is touting for the MR system. The beefy MG9 TR6060, HD driveshaft and axles shafts, and a completely new iron differential case.

Considering about $7K for a SC kit (probably a bit more power at the stock psi levels); what - $4K for a complete suspension solution (still won't be active like MR); $3K for a tranny; probably $3-$4K for HD driveshafts and axle shafts; $5K for a HD rear axle assembly (that's what GMHTP has just reported on a complete Hendrix Engineering 9" conversion); $1.5K for a bodykit (that I'm sure isn't as effective as ZL1's); and a few grand on forged wheels and tires. You STILL don't have the capability of the LSA long block. That's about $20K on top of a 2SS...

IMVHO - If you don't care to have what comes with ZL1 (the name, exclusivity, and all that), then great; no worries . To think one can build a ZL1 for the same price (I'm thinking ZL1 is going to be about $50K), with all the engineering GM has put into it, is almost crazy. Sure - one could build SS into a great car with a stock SC and suspension solution and add wheels and tires and probably drive around ZL1 for a lap or two, until there's heat soak and the brakes start fading. Then, you'll have to get dirty to adjust the shocks from the track setting to a street setting while the ZL1 driver pushes a button and cruises away.

If you like to do all the work yourself - I think its' a great idea. It'd be more fun than driving into the dealership, haggle for 8 hours, and drive home in your new car, but you'll have a warranty and something a little more special than SS. I don't take ANYTHING away from SS - please don't misunderstand, but if someone is looking for something with a heritage a little more exotic, ZL1 won't disappoint - I'm sure

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:08 PM   #6
FastEddie
Account Suspended

That was one hell of a post packed with info. It was the most pleasant "bubble bursting" I have ever received in my life. I simply couldn'twait another moment to drive the 5th gen.Camaro. When I dealt with Miami Lakes AutoMall I didn't really care for the way they dealt with me. I had to free her from those tools (An insult to tools-they have intrinsic value). Now my dilema is to mod or not and possibly lose out on them in value via resale. If I want the ZL1 experience however I guess it's trade in time. I'm obsessed. It feels like 2006 ALL OVER AGAIN
Old 02-18-2011, 10:39 PM   #7
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEddie View Post
That was one hell of a post packed with info. It was the most pleasant "bubble bursting" I have ever received in my life. I simply couldn'twait another moment to drive the 5th gen.Camaro. When I dealt with Miami Lakes AutoMall I didn't really care for the way they dealt with me. I had to free her from those tools (An insult to tools-they have intrinsic value). Now my dilema is to mod or not and possibly lose out on them in value via resale. If I want the ZL1 experience however I guess it's trade in time. I'm obsessed. It feels like 2006 ALL OVER AGAIN
I have only found one dealer in South Florida, Maroone Chevy in Ft. Lauderdale, that told me that he would NOT sell the ZL1 above MSRP. It might be worth a phone call if you want to upgrade to a ZL1. PM me if you want more information.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:18 AM   #8
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
The engine is the easiest part... our forged 416 for 3875 and all you need is the s/c unit. Then what ever suspension and apppearance mods. But the power is the easiest part.
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, ls3, ls9, modification, zl1