Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-27-2014, 08:20 AM   #15
mrshanes

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastmf View Post
Oil doesn't break a sweat lasting a garage queen year. The reason you want to change at least once a year is just because of the filter. I agree with changing the oil after the car comes out of storage not before
Everything I've ever read says that's a very bad idea. Contaminates in used oil can cause acids, which cause corrosion over the winter. Changing the oil before storage and NOT starting it over the winter is about the same as the new oil sitting in a bottle on your shelf. It's basically brand new in the spring when you're ready to roll.
mrshanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:27 AM   #16
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Don't change it before. Why put in fresh oil and then let it sit? Change the oil on the day you bring it out of storage.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:51 AM   #17
mrshanes

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickwithaustin View Post
Don't change it before. Why put in fresh oil and then let it sit? Change the oil on the day you bring it out of storage.

I'm surprised to hear so many people here say this... The better question is why leave dirty, acidic, contaminated oil sit in your engine for 5 months? Put clean in, don't run it, and it's the same as having clean oil sitting in the bottle on your shelf. Then the oil is good to go when you take it out of storage. It doesn't hurt to have clean oil in your engine. It does hurt to have dirty oil sitting in your engine (according to research). I do the same with lawn equipment (tractors, push mowers, etc...)
mrshanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:57 AM   #18
TX/ZL1

Drives: '14 ZL1 RRM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Tyler View Post
I recommend at a minimum, regardless of miles, change it twice a year; once before you put it away and once in the spring.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
+1
Old 10-27-2014, 09:42 AM   #19
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshanes View Post
I'm surprised to hear so many people here say this... The better question is why leave dirty, acidic, contaminated oil sit in your engine for 5 months? Put clean in, don't run it, and it's the same as having clean oil sitting in the bottle on your shelf. Then the oil is good to go when you take it out of storage. It doesn't hurt to have clean oil in your engine. It does hurt to have dirty oil sitting in your engine (according to research). I do the same with lawn equipment (tractors, push mowers, etc...)
It still absorbs moisture. It's not fresh even if sitting there.
I change it in the spring when I take the car back out.

It's sitting in the pan all winter, not running through the engine.
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 01:03 AM   #20
onewaydave
Innocent Bystander

Drives: 2013 ZL1 BRM/2002 35th SS/2009 GMC
Once a year is good for a <5000 mile, stored for winter queen. I change oil when it is taken out of storage.

Living on the RaGgEd EdGe!
onewaydave is offline   Reply With Quote