Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 12-31-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
XXXSUFFAXXX
SINISTER

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Colored Headlights and DRLs

My next mod is going to be the headlights and DRLs. I really want the multicolor halos for the headlight and DRLs, but I do NOT want to bake my lights and take them apart. Is there a company that sells them already in the headlight/DRLs and that maybe already uses the stock halo ring? I don't like the LED dot look of the halos I have seen from ORACLE. If anyone could help, that would be great, thanks.
XXXSUFFAXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
SNK

Drives: 2010 2LT...Black
JDP halos. You do not have to open the headlight and bake. It uses the factory halo and is a fairly easy instal. I did it with my dad and we don't know a lot about wiring or anything. A lot of people use this kit because it is an easier instal and there are no individual LEDs in the halo. Here is a pic (if it works)
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2012, 08:41 PM   #3
SNK

Drives: 2010 2LT...Black
Day time
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Second the JDP suggestion. There halo's are great and the install is not hard. However, there is currently no fog light halo option from JDP. I do believe they are working on them though. You can always go with AAC though, but do your research and know what your getting into.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
XXXSUFFAXXX
SINISTER

Thanks, yeah I was looking into the JDP ones, but I wish I could find the DRL/fog lights that work with them. I like the easy to install and smooth/stock halo use, but it's on 6-8 week back order.... Yikes...
Old 12-31-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
XXXSUFFAXXX
SINISTER

Thanks for the update Mickey. I would love to have both upper and lower. Just wish there was a way to get the Oracle halo DRL that is $119 to work with this kit. That would be perfect.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #7
MackMan
Camaro CRAZY

Drives: 2019 OC 1SS/1LE
You can tap into your JDP lights and use the same controller. That's what I did with my grill lights and JDP lights. Planning to add Halo DRLs eventually, tapped into JDP as well.

It's pretty easy to do. When you run the RGB wires into the car just tap into that set of wires. I cut some of the heat shrink tubing off, spliced into the wires and made a central spot for new wires in front of the driver side wheel where I can connect all my LED strips and DRLs when I get them. It's very simple honestly. Got the RGB wire off eBay for like $5 or something for 15 feet haha.

Here's a video.. the lights don't show up in the video when it starts flashing real quick in the grill but that was just cause I was recording with my iPhone. Hope this gives you the idea.

MackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
XXXSUFFAXXX
SINISTER

That looks really nice mackman. I was looking at doing the headlights, grille, and DRLs all running off the same box too. Let me know when you do the DRLs. I found out you only buy the ring from Oracle, and not the DRL with the halo already in it :/ bummer...
Old 01-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #9
MackMan
Camaro CRAZY

Yeah I found some on ebay for like $25 I'm thinking about ordering. Might order 2 sets and do demon eyes as well... haven't seen RGB halos & demon eyes together yet. Usually people just do static colors or 2 color change.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170796236760...84.m1423.l2649

I just wish there were more LEDs like in Oracles. Get what you pay for I guess.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #10
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
Another option...

I know nightowlleds.com is almost into production! Look them up! I met Joe at C5 fest III. There are a few vendors here that have expressed interest in their set-up when it is ready later this month.

Check them out and stay tuned. They have a killer product on the way! Blows everything else out there away, IMHO. That is why I've waited.
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #11
MackMan
Camaro CRAZY

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
I know nightowlleds.com is almost into production! Look them up! I met Joe at C5 fest III. There are a few vendors here that have expressed interest in their set-up when it is ready later this month.

Check them out and stay tuned. They have a killer product on the way! Blows everything else out there away, IMHO. That is why I've waited.
Yeah I think they sent me an email. They have some awesome sounding products coming up. Can't wait.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #12
CamaroI

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro
Any local shop can do the installation for you. Cost couple 100 but in grand scheme have everything done without having to worry about install...side note cannot really see the led from oracle
CamaroI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:43 AM   #13
MackMan
Camaro CRAZY

Yeah true, I like doing everything I can to the car though myself. It's kind of like therapy even though it gets frustrating sometimes. At least you feel accomplished when it's all said and done... no matter how bloody your knuckles get or how many things you throw across the room in frustration.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #14
XXXSUFFAXXX
SINISTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackMan View Post
Yeah true, I like doing everything I can to the car though myself. It's kind of like therapy even though it gets frustrating sometimes. At least you feel accomplished when it's all said and done... no matter how bloody your knuckles get or how many things you throw across the room in frustration.
I think everyone can relate to this mackman. When you go to car shows, drive around, or just admire you hard work in the shop, you have a sense of accomplishment that you can only feel when it's all said and done.

Thanks for the help guys.

Mackman, how did you tap it into the grille lights? Just t-tap one wire on the halos and one on the grille lights?