Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-03-2009, 02:39 PM   #1
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Fun in Mars with an SS/RS......and some thoughts.....

(.......oooooookay..........here I go again!... if my notes seem a bit much -- as someone suggested -- it's because I have perma-grin.......and want to share with you!........)

-- spent the better part of the week in Cleveland getting ready for that show and of course hosting several hundred Camaro Enthusiasts and Cadillac customers on Saturday morning.......

My good friend Bob Peters and his daughter Nickie brought Mom Settlemire to the Saturday morning festivities --

I've been working 7 days a week -- so I decided I was going to take Monday off and head for Mars.

So -- after the Cleveland event was over, Mom and I jumped in the SS/RS and headed back to Mars........

At 65+ mph we were able to carry on a conversation in a normal tone of voice -- which demonstrates that our engineers took their assignments very seriously - --- further, Mom kept talking about two things:

>One -- how great the ride is....

and

>Two -- how many people are constantly gawking and pointing!

The "lil Weasel" was having a PACE (Pittsburgh Area Camaro Enthusiasts) meeting at his dealership -- so I offered to bring the SS/RS over to the dealership on Sunday afternoon......

Cousin Sue's 'significant other' (who the family loves, by the way) brought one of his classic Camaros for display in the showroom -- a Marina Blue 67 SS/RS Big block -- INCREDIBLE Camaro!........

-- so I headed over about 12:30 to give the Camaro a 'bath' and detail -- and then we placed him in the showroom among a group of new Corvettes and Tom's 2002 THR Camaro SS convert that he's kept -- ( I think it goes to his daughter Kate when he passes...)

.........the yellow can be seen from forever -- even when the car is in the showroom --

..........the day was cold - in the 30s -- but cloudless and sunny --

................and I could not believe how many people showed up! -- several hundred to be sure -- the showroom was pretty much full the whole afternoon............

................now - my whole family has worked at the dealership at one time or another -- my father was the General Manager there after he sold his dealership -- and in fact he even installed the plumbing in most of the building -- and of course, there were many great employees over the years......many of which have joined 'Dad' Settlemire and "Gran-pa' Henry" in that Great Chevy Showroom in the sky...........

......and it was also bittersweet as "Uncle" Tom (Tom's father) who started the dealership wayyyyyyyyy back in 1958 -- is in a Progressive Care facility - doesn't know who he is most of the time......I wish he could have been there.....

......so as I stand in the showroom - it's easy to go back in time -and to hear the voices of the past...... to 1963 when the present showroom was built -- and to remember the many Chevrolets that took up the same space as this new Camaro.........and the amazing thing is that I can still see so many of the cars and tell you details/details/details -- all of which are pretty much 'worthless' to most.......but still such colorful memories..........

(......ever see a 1968 Caprice Estate Wagon with a 4-speed manual on the floor? WE HAD ONE on the showroom floor!...)

.........and I'm a sentimental guy --

.................so is the "lil weasel" -- as he has a showcase full of Tom Henry Memorabilia -- hundreds of items............

..........and it suddenly occurred to me:

............that 39 years ago - February 26-28th to be exact.........

..................we were unveiling the "New" 70 1/2 Camaros and Corvettes --in the very same showroom --

.............and I remember the cars -- a Camaro -- a green mist base coupe; (who ordered THAT???) another Camaro RS in Shadow gray with a black vinyl top; and a Cranberry Red SS coupe. Joining them were a Classic White Corvette convert and a Bridgehampton Blue coupe.........

..........and I guess this is a reminder of how fortunate I've been to grow up in a "Chevy" Family -- my father and uncle allowed me to spend countless hours at the dealership -- asking at least 500,000 questions over the years -- allowing me to devour every piece of literature and sales manual that I could lay my hands on ..........(I cannot remember what I had for dinner last evening, but I'll recognize a Palomino Ivory Camaro every time!)

--- and so the people came.....(one good friend from Springfield Mass. -- another new friend and his gal from Maryland-- thank you for coming!) .......and they asked many questions........and there were many smiles -- and there were lots of pictures -- and I once again realized that this must, indeed, be a very special car -- a car that creates such passion.......

..............and to think that a skinny kid with braces and glasses from Mars, Pa would be able to experience so much in this lifetime........

-- I am so blessed and humbled!

And I'm so lucky to have a cousin Tom ( the " 'lil weasel from Bakerstown as I affectionately call him......and cousin Sue - )

Thanks, all...........for listening to another one of my
r a m b l i n g posts......

..............and again, Thanks for "Keeping the Faith"......
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:43 PM   #2
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Great post, Scott.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:43 PM   #3
CamaroSSforme
Got my two

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - RJT/Black
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSSforme
Still keeping the faith
CamaroSSforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:47 PM   #4
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Great Post !! .. thanks for the read !

Crowley
Old 03-03-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
tylermoore

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1ss/LS3 Victory Red
good post wish i was at the show
Old 03-03-2009, 02:50 PM   #6
VJCamaro
Please not have any Delay

Drives: 2SS, RS, Sunroof, Polished
You the man FBODFATHER!
VJCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:54 PM   #7
CatiaJockey

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
Thanks for sharing! I'm keeping the faith my friend!
Old 03-03-2009, 02:54 PM   #8
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
That to me would be the Ideal way to grow up. I wish more people could experience what you have conveyed to us in this post. The passion you have is remarkable. I thought growing up in a Chevy Family I had passion for the car, but you sir put everyone else to shame. You have to me the dream Job.. If only I could have experience half of what you have.

All I can say is Great Job! You bring back many memories of my own..

The faith is alive.. Long live Chevrolet, the Camaro, and General Motors!
Old 03-03-2009, 03:04 PM   #9
Amelia98
Honorary Female Member =)

Drives: Camaro and a PT Cruiser
So Sweet. I read that after seeing Flash of Genius last night. It made me think about all of the inventors and people who care so much about our automobile industry that they put their heart and souls into their creations. This car has captured my imagination in a way that is usually associated with those special moments that come from my family or my accomplishments and I haven't even sat in it!

Thanks Scott for your posts, passion and your hard work. Now quit dallying and get back to work

VROOM VROOM
Amelia98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:37 PM   #10
Rallysport
Go Cardinals!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 6-speed #1879
Thanks, Scott, for such a great post. I really enjoy reading your posts. I too grew up in a Chevy-oriented family. I worked in a Chevy dealership because I wanted to. I'm really glad that GM has people like you that understand the passion we "Chevy people" have for the Camaro...past and present! BTW, a 1968 Caprice Estate Wagon with a four-speed on the floor? How cool! Who the heck special-ordered that??? Ahhh...the good ol days...when you could order just about anything!
Rallysport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:41 PM   #11
carfansince73

Drives: Carefully
I just love reading about how everyone is ooo'ing and ahh'ing over the car. I sure hope I get some of those when the car is delivered later this year.
2010 1SS RS, LS3, SIM/Black, painted rally stripes, AAC sidemarkers, Sunroof, B.A. sound sys; 20x9.5 & 20x11 SV1-C5's; MGW short shifter; Hotchkis Track Pack; Corsa catback; Kooks 1 7/8"; ADM Street; Magnacharger TVS2300 - 548rwhp/512rwtq
1100- 2/18/09; 3800- 6/15/09 VIN#18308; Delivered 6/29/09!!!!!

2014 CTS-V Sedan, Black/Black, Auto, Recaros, Ultra-view, Red Brembos. Stock
carfansince73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:52 PM   #12
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
(.......oooooookay..........here I go again!... if my notes seem a bit much -- as someone suggested -- it's because I have perma-grin.......and want to share with you!........)...

-- I am so blessed and humbled!...

..............and again, Thanks for "Keeping the Faith"......
I don't know who that was, but I find every post from you all-the-more interesting and look forward, every time, to the next one I feel blessed and humbled that someone as busy and important as you spend the time to come here and share so much. Thanks for sharing - as always.

Sincerely...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:55 PM   #13
fad1

Drives: Future 5th gen Camaro
Great Post Scott. Keep that Chevy blood pumping man, I hope we see the Glory days of GM agian.
fad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:03 PM   #14
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
I seriously enjoy every single one of your posts and can't wait to own my very own Camaro. You and your family are indeed a very blessed group of people and I would be honored to meet you in person someday.

Every time you post I get more and more excited for this car and can't wait to have that switchblade key in my hands.

That day I will probably look more like my avatar than anything.

Thanks for your words and effort and we all truly appreciate what you and the Camaro team have done for us.