Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > The Sports Lounge

Old 02-11-2011, 09:28 PM   #1
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
10 things you need to know right now about the CBA situation

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...bor-situation/

cliffs:

lockout is more than likely to start march 4.

the draft will probably come before free agency.

the draft may be the only way to get new players/no free agency.

the fans ar F'd.

that is all.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:40 AM   #2
3 SS's

Drives: Chevelle SS's
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...bor-situation/

cliffs:

lockout is more than likely to start march 4.

the draft will probably come before free agency.

the draft may be the only way to get new players/no free agency.
the fans ar F'd.

that is all.
can't see that one happening, players who's contracts expired forced to sign with the team they were on ...with no leverage, players union will never let that happen.
3 SS's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:43 AM   #3
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 SS's View Post
can't see that one happening, players who's contracts expired forced to sign with the team they were on ...with no leverage, players union will never let that happen.
I don't think its a matter of being forced to sign w their team, its more of a "no changes without a contract", thus forcing everything to remain status quo...

Im in my second union/contract dispute at work in 8 yrs.everything just freezes in place.
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:15 AM   #4
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Sucks that there will be a lockout, but hopefully they can get it worked out before too many OTA days are lost.

Seems like the players are forgetting that the owners are entitled to make some money too.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:37 AM   #5
rmpackers
Ride this Chevy

Drives: 2010 RJT RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
Sucks that there will be a lockout, but hopefully they can get it worked out before too many OTA days are lost.

Seems like the players are forgetting that the owners are entitled to make some money too.

The Packers actually had a down year for revenue because of the salary cap loss. It's the old saying of "We got to keep the lights on!" We have no deep pockets to reach into, so yes the owners have to make some money. A lot of NFL stadiums did not sell out because of downward attendance trend, which is not going to get any better. This cash cow only has so much to give. Both sides are very far apart in this, we most likely will have a lock out, but I truly believe it won't last long. I also stand with the players in that they have to be taken care of in the long term and we must STOP paying rookies a king's ransom!
Old 02-15-2011, 11:32 PM   #6
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 SS's View Post
hence, a lockout...
Old 02-16-2011, 05:37 PM   #7
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
And then will we get a bad made for TV movie about them using walk on coaches n player who don't cut the mustard under regular season, and given their chance to shine in the spot light as a scab???
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:52 PM   #8
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I'm with the owners on this one.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
PoorMansCamaro

I'm not sure who's side i'm on here. I'm not sure how the money dispursement works. The players want 50/50 of the money. Does that mean 50% go to 32 of the owners and the other 50 go to the thousands of players? If so, that doesn't seem so bad. We can have football without the owners, can't have football without the players.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:54 PM   #10
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
I'm not sure who's side i'm on here. I'm not sure how the money dispursement works. The players want 50/50 of the money. Does that mean 50% go to 32 of the owners and the other 50 go to the thousands of players? If so, that doesn't seem so bad. We can have football without the owners, can't have football without the players.
I've used that same argument but the other way around.

You can't have it without 'THESE' players. But you can have it. What's easier and quicker? Replace the owners (Start a new league) or replace the players?

ANswer: Use Non-Union players.

You have to have the owners. Unless you think you can start a new league to compete. Good luck with that. Maybe it can be done, but that's what it would take if I were running things.
The players have NO risk. None. Nada. Nil. The owners assume all the risk and liabilities and expenses.

Name another business where the employees get half the money...... Hell, these players get half the money and assume NONE of the liabilities or risk.

If the players want that, they can buy their own uniforms, their own insurance, their own equipment and pay 100% and assume all of the process of their retirement. They can rent a locker and pay fees to use the facilities. AND be required to use them. Pay their own way to road games and home again, pay for their own rooms and food while away. NO per diem and have monthy dues to advertise their sorry asses for fans.

You get my point.

I say get SCAB players. I'm sick and tired of these greedy Fing unions. It's insane. Ever wonder why the Pro Sports Players Unions are the strongest in the nation? Becaue the owners can't move overseas.

I say F*** em'

Get SCABs and lets play ball. Hell, I think the Bills are full of SCAB caliber players anyway.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:51 PM   #11
PoorMansCamaro

it may be easier and quicker to replace the players, but I'm pretty confident the revenue will be a whole lot smaller. These players that are currently playing in the NFL are there because they are supposed to be the best of the best. No one wants to see a bunch of scrubs playing football. At least I don't.

I guess the way I see it, is that the players put their bodies on the line every snap. A few players may be asking for a lot of money just for the greed of it, but i think the majority are asking for more money because they realize the lifespan of being in the NFL is roughly 3 or 4 years on average. Football is all they know, and want to make sure they can take care of their family after football. More and more serious injuries are occuring. Not saying the owners shouldn't make money, but I don't think this is any ordinary business. I believe owners make almost 30 million a year. God forbid they take a paycut to 20 million a year. lol
Old 02-17-2011, 03:57 PM   #12
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
it may be easier and quicker to replace the players, but I'm pretty confident the revenue will be a whole lot smaller. These players that are currently playing in the NFL are there because they are supposed to be the best of the best. No one wants to see a bunch of scrubs playing football. At least I don't.
Sure, veiwership would drop by a certain percent, but player salary would drop ten fold below that unstil viewership came back up.

I for one would still watch. I'm a Bills fan. Like I said, it would give the Bills a shot. lol

Funny but true. Take the bottom half of the league. All of a sudden their fans are back in it.

Quote:
I guess the way I see it, is that the players put their bodies on the line every snap. A few players may be asking for a lot of money just for the greed of it, but i think the majority are asking for more money because they realize the lifespan of being in the NFL is roughly 3 or 4 years on average. Football is all they know, and want to make sure they can take care of their family after football. More and more serious injuries are occuring. Not saying the owners shouldn't make money, but I don't think this is any ordinary business. I believe owners make almost 30 million a year. God forbid they take a paycut to 20 million a year. lol
I don't buy the whole "Players have risk.... of injury" because that's why they get payed so much already.

Businesswise, players have absolutely ZERO risk.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:01 PM   #13
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
i think the majority are asking for more money because they realize the lifespan of being in the NFL is roughly 3 or 4 years on average. Football is all they know, and want to make sure they can take care of their family after football. More and more serious injuries are occuring. Not saying the owners shouldn't make money, but I don't think this is any ordinary business. I believe owners make almost 30 million a year. God forbid they take a paycut to 20 million a year. lol
Just like any of the rest of us. If you take a good job instead of going to college, and it's short lived, that's YOUR fault. The players who DO go to college got a free college education. Wether or not football is all they know is THEIR choice. They still have the same education as the class they graduated with.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:05 PM   #14
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Sure, veiwership would drop by a certain percent, but player salary would drop ten fold below that unstil viewership came back up.

I for one would still watch. I'm a Bills fan. Like I said, it would give the Bills a shot. lol

Funny but true. Take the bottom half of the league. All of a sudden their fans are back in it.

I don't buy the whole "Players have risk.... of injury" because that's why they get payed so much already.

Businesswise, players have absolutely ZERO risk.

I know, but the whole point is making money. Why would the owners allow there to be replacement players, make a whole lot less money than if they would have made an agreement with the current players? That doesn't make any sense at all.

Lets also not forget the league trying to add 2 more games. Why shouldn't the players be compensated for those two games? and if there is an increase of 2 games, i believe they will also have a larger roster, meaning the pot for the players is getting smaller. There will also be a rookie cap, so the league can reduce the salary cap to also increase revenue for the owners, or use that money to pay the players.

edit: i think you are drastically underestimating the amount of revenue lost if there were replacement players. merchandise sales will be virtually nothing. Ticket sales will be pennies to the dollar, etc...