Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 02-09-2014, 09:13 AM   #1
ccutaia

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS,
Whipple hesitation

I had a Whipple installed on my car just before Christmas by my local Chevy dealer (yes they do know what they are doing they install 3 or 4 super chargers a month). The car was hesitating big time and had no power. Took it back to the dealer and they ran some tests and asked me if I turned off the TC before I but my foot into and my answer was NO I did not because I was not aware that the super charger would not work correctly without the TC being off.

So I picked the car back up and turned off the TC and she did pull nice but I still have a small amount of hesitation. I feel like I am caught between Whipple and the dealer. Whipple will look at their programming but the dealership has a lot of extra time in the car because the install did not go well. Other problem is if I keep the TC on the car is herky jerky in normal driving.

Parts sent by Whipple did not fit, and come to find out I have a 2012 with a 2013 motor in it. Looking for a way out! I just want a car I can drive normally every day and have power when I want to play.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:41 AM   #2
Frans96ss

Drives: 96SS
Does it have the whipple tune on it? If so go get it custom dyno tuned by a reputable shop.
Frans96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:50 AM   #3
ccutaia

It does but I have already paid for a tune when I bought the SC, why pay again? I assumed with a stock Camaro the tune would be right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans96ss View Post
Does it have the whipple tune on it? If so go get it custom dyno tuned by a reputable shop.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:21 AM   #4
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccutaia View Post
It does but I have already paid for a tune when I bought the SC, why pay again? I assumed with a stock Camaro the tune would be right.
Custom tune is always the better option.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:35 AM   #5
yotaman96

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS1LE 2000 Trans Am WS6
Definitely sounds like a tune issue. What parts didn't fit?
2015 Ram Crew Cab Cummins
yotaman96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:45 AM   #6
realcanuk

Drives: 2007 Corvette C6 983 RWHP
Get the tune checked out. If it's running lean you are risking your motor.
Dewitts / dual spals, A&A dual pump fuel system.
3.42 polished gears, hardened shafts, Alky control meth, Cartech line lock, ECS axle loops, Trans brace, 6L80 built by me.
ID 1000 injectors, comp rockers, Morel lifters, BT springs, Trend 3/8 pushrods, ATI 10% OD Damper
Circle D Triple Disc stall
1009 RWHP @ 7000, 817 RWTQ @ 6000,
realcanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:26 PM   #7
ccutaia

Cooler brackets and hoses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotaman96 View Post
Definitely sounds like a tune issue. What parts didn't fit?
Old 02-09-2014, 12:27 PM   #8
ccutaia

Believe me I don't feel warm and fuzzy right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by realcanuk View Post
Get the tune checked out. If it's running lean you are risking your motor.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:50 PM   #9
10aSSee D

Drives: Silver 2010 SS Camaro
Not sure what to tell you on this, I have never had a problem with mine and me and my dad installed it but I had it tuned by a shop. But since then it has been to ADM built and tuned. I would for sure go have a good tune put on it and I bet it would take care of all your problems unless they screwed up the install. My car was able to run just fine with the TC on. Get that tune checked!!!

ADM built 417, 2.9L Whipple with 3.250 pulley, ADM ported and polished LSA heads,ADM stage3 cam,ADM LSA belt drive system,ADM CAI race scoop, ADM dual fuel pumps, ID 850's, BMR full suspension, Gforce 9 inch kit with 3.5 inch driveshaft, Street Slayer twin carbon clutch, Lingenfelter oil seperator. Tuned by built by ADM Performance, 763rwhp,705rwtq
10aSSee D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:09 PM   #10
Motion427
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Red Jewel L99
It would be best to have it checked at a tuner shop with a wideband sensor to make sure that the tune is OK.And check the fuel pressure also.
Motion427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:11 PM   #11
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
I ran into similar problems like you, with the exception of the tune. I also have a 2012 with the 2013 crossover pieces. Whipple was super responsive, recognized the issue when I called them, and expressed me out the correct brackets and hoses. Utilizing Whipple's tune, my car (LS3) put down about 545HP, and ran great, no hesitations whatsoever. Since I had changed to an LS9 cam at the same time I did the S/C install, I sought out a custom tune. I found a local guy with his own dyno, charged me $300, and spent about 6 hours dialing my car in. The result was definitely well worth the extra expense of an additional tune.
Traction control shouldn't come into play at all until wheel spin occurs, then it will pull timing to reduce engine power to regain traction, it would not cause the car to hesitate at all when putting your foot down, unless of course, you get instant wheel spin. Something definitely isn't right. Good luck with getting it fixed.
A thought just occurred to me. Can you use the tuner supplied by Whipple and do some data logging, then upload the file to Whipple?

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:34 PM   #12
ccutaia

On the brackets it took 2 + days to get them, on the hose they went next day plus there was a hand held programmer issue. It was a full five days at the dealership. I'm not here to place blame I'm just looking for guidance/ideas as to what might be going on. I know posts by Whipple owners said they are not experiencing my problems as to the way it runs. I'm being told by Whipple and the dealership the hesitation and power loss is do to the TC being on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmanntexas View Post
I ran into similar problems like you, with the exception of the tune. I also have a 2012 with the 2013 crossover pieces. Whipple was super responsive, recognized the issue when I called them, and expressed me out the correct brackets and hoses. Utilizing Whipple's tune, my car (LS3) put down about 545HP, and ran great, no hesitations whatsoever. Since I had changed to an LS9 cam at the same time I did the S/C install, I sought out a custom tune. I found a local guy with his own dyno, charged me $300, and spent about 6 hours dialing my car in. The result was definitely well worth the extra expense of an additional tune.
Traction control shouldn't come into play at all until wheel spin occurs, then it will pull timing to reduce engine power to regain traction, it would not cause the car to hesitate at all when putting your foot down, unless of course, you get instant wheel spin. Something definitely isn't right. Good luck with getting it fixed.
A thought just occurred to me. Can you use the tuner supplied by Whipple and do some data logging, then upload the file to Whipple?
Old 02-09-2014, 04:48 PM   #13
10aSSee D

Drives: Silver 2010 SS Camaro
Does it run good when TC is off?

ADM built 417, 2.9L Whipple with 3.250 pulley, ADM ported and polished LSA heads,ADM stage3 cam,ADM LSA belt drive system,ADM CAI race scoop, ADM dual fuel pumps, ID 850's, BMR full suspension, Gforce 9 inch kit with 3.5 inch driveshaft, Street Slayer twin carbon clutch, Lingenfelter oil seperator. Tuned by built by ADM Performance, 763rwhp,705rwtq
10aSSee D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:39 PM   #14
ccutaia

Yes, but I still have a little hesitation, throttle lag. I am not hearing anywhere about any hesitation, non at all TC on, off or what ever from anyone else. I think I will give Whipple and Reeder Chevy one more shot to get this car running right, if not I will start looking for someone good in the Knoxville area to give me a custom tune. In all fairness to Reeder they said everything at their end is 100% correct and it is a programming issue. They did a nice clean istall, and spent a lot of time on this car, I have to agree with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10aSSee D View Post
Does it run good when TC is off?