Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 05-31-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
smokn'

Drives: Banana boat
Trophy Motors-bad experience

Hello all, sorry for posting this here, but I thought it could do the most good here,
I live in GA and was on vacation in wichita falls, TX seeing my family. I wanted to use this opportunity to expand my Goat search (as I did not have one yet) and so I found a BOM M6 on Auto-trader and Yahoo Autos. The car was in New Braunsfels, an outskirt of San Antonio at a place called Trophy Motors. It sounded legit and he sent me specific pics of the "only damage" which was a scratch on the lower "GTO" part of the bumper. He also mentioned another few items. Well, long story short I drove 5 hours out of my way on my way home to pic up this car, already had bank check in hand and deposit down and had repeatedly questioned whether there was anything else wrong w/ the car. It almost made me cry to see a GTO that mistreated. Bumpers were misaligned, the spoiler was cracked, interior pieces were broken off, the car had been broken into, it had been badly repainted, it had no floor mats, there had been standing water on the carpet, the shifter stick rattled like a freight train (you had to hold it to make it be quiet), and much more. He didn't even care about my distress. Finally, after he (Phil was his name) saw I wanted my deposit back, he talked to his manager and said he would take $750 off for the $2000 of damage it had on it. I refused to take such a petty offer or give him business. Fortunately, yesterday I found a IBM M6 w/ blue interior which I've fallen in love w/. Took her home from Loganville last night. Just wanted to warn any prospective buyers of a less than reputable dealership. They may never sell any camaros new, I think they're strictly used, but for future reference, beware.
smokn' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
ItIsWhatItIs

Drives: #5 Tom Henry Racing 2010 2SS/RS
Did you get your deposit back?
ItIsWhatItIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:26 AM   #3
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
That sucks but you know it isn't the first time that has happened. They have nothing to loose when they tell you it is in "great shape" . You either buy it, or you walk. They are not out anything if you end up wasting a trip. It's all your time and money.

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:29 AM   #4
smokn'

I did get the deposit back, fortunately. And Mark, it's true they have nothing to lose immediately, but he'll lose some internet sales, I contacted all of his ad agencies and warned them.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:38 PM   #5
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
First of all why is this in Camaro forum and not other vehicles?

Secondly I know these people very well. They specalize in sports cars and oldies. They have all kinds of old cars.

You need to know what your looking for when you buy old cars. They have some unique cars. Including my Vette which I purchased from Phil. Obviously you do know your cars and it was not up to snuff.

They have been good to me. It's true they are lazy, you have to know what your looking for. They have some aweful cars and some nice ones. It's up to you to inspect and work a deal.

Sorry it was bad deal for you.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 01:03 PM   #6
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Correct. This dealer is on 35NB and does not sell ANY Camaros. We appreciate the heads up! But, moved to General/other cars group.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 01:07 PM   #7
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
He wasn't buying an old car. He was buying a late model GTO (05/06). The car could only be 3-4 years old. And by his description of the car, it was obviously in very bad condition (not just a "scratch on the bumer").

Sounds like a typical saleman playing games to me.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 01:12 PM   #8
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Ah I thought it was an old goat. I had seen one there. I drive by it 2-3 times a week.

He does have all kinds of sports cars but they don't know as much as most of the gearheads like us around here.

You can write complaint to NB Chamber they take is seriously. I'll give Phil a hard time over it. Again sorry it didn't pan out for you smokn'.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:13 AM   #9
smokn'

sorry for posting it up in the wrong spot. and maybe they usually give people pretty good experiences, i just had a bad one. honestly, if i would have lived there and driven 10 min to find the car not what i expected, i wouldn't have got real mad, but after driving 5 hours with a bank check ready which he knew, i got aggravated. i don't really want to screw their business over or anything like that, just let everyone know sometimes they don't describe vehicles correctly.