Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 10-04-2010, 08:42 PM   #15
NewGen

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Send a message via AIM to NewGen Send a message via MSN to NewGen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granatelli View Post
Our filters (unlike some of the others) do not drag under the car by the oil pan sucking heat and road grime. Each turbo is feed by a huge K&N that is nestled in just below each head light - they are very easy to get to as well. I would say check them every 7500 miles
Okay thanx..and thats not too bad...
Old 10-08-2010, 06:42 PM   #16
audiomikej

Drives: the wife crazy talking Camaros
Why is Granatelli's account suspended?
audiomikej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #17
Whipple Charged

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Not really. If you understand what you are looking at and realize what the parts cost it make more sense. As an example we don't use Vibrant generic intercoolers. Our intercooler cores are all hand built using the best there is to offer. The cores and cooler we use are the exact same ones you would find in this car http://www.granatellimotorsports.com...natelli-18.jpg that ran high 6's or this car that ran low 6's http://www.granatellimotorsports.com...matusek-16.jpg. Does that mean you need them? Perhaps not but we gave up on building kits that are not perfect. Why buy a twin turbo kit will turbos that will support 950 HP and an intercooler that will give up at 700? Our intercooler will support 2500cfm worth of air with minimal pressure drop - so we include as standard turbos that can make 1300hp and intercoolers that can flow 1500hp worth of flow.

Interesting to note: I asked John Lingenfelter when he was alive why he charged $25,000 for his 1999 Corvette Turbo kit. Remember we are talking over 10 years ago. He said try to build one and let me know how that turns out. Well we did and that kit is now considered the standard to which all others are measured. We sell that kit for $16,000 and it takes 3 huge boxes to ship - looks like a ton of stuff when it is spread out over the floor and bench. So Lingenfelter charging 25,000 installed and tuned was not too far off.

You get what you pay for

Assuming you do not touch the engine internals but want to make 700 rwhp. What does that cost if you start with a Maggie or Whipple?

Blower - $6500.00
Headers – 1500.00
Smaller blower pulley - $75.00
Upgrade to 10 rib conversion - $1800.00
What am I missing?

With our kit – NOTHING else is needed – it is there
You don't need a 10 rib system with our system to make 700rwhp, but you can factor in a $600ish billet throttle body.
Whipple Charged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:51 PM   #18
Whipple Charged

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
No question the Maggie and Whipple can make power - you also hear them coming fom a mile away. So again if a person just wants 550-ish and does nt mind adding headers, undersized pullies and such those are good choices.

What we are telling eveyone is bolt up this kit and be dome with it. No need for anything else - it is just 575 to 600 as delivered - it is also stealth and does not cluter up the engine compartment

Some guys want more "KA-BAM" when the hood goes up. The twins are all about business - period
You might not have heard ours yet, since its realitively new, but its not noisy. Also, our standard system is roughly 550rwhp with stock everything (LS3). 600+ with headers, CAI.....
Whipple Charged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:01 PM   #19
RedRyder

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomikej View Post
Why is Granatelli's account suspended?
I was wondering that too...if I had to guess I'd say it was from his posts on the turbo comparison chart thread
RedRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:07 PM   #20
Huck1974
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRyder View Post
I was wondering that too...if I had to guess I'd say it was from his posts on the turbo comparison chart thread

The mods here are first class. I have a lot of respect for this place.
Huck1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:10 PM   #21
LittleMT
user bann'd

Drives: Chevy SS
hmmmm..... not to often a supporting vendor gets a account suspended....

I think his TT kit is a damn good one...

Chantilly Lace, the 2011 Rockabilly Jukebox..ADM built..617rwhp, geared A6.
LittleMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:22 PM   #22
RedRyder

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMT View Post
hmmmm..... not to often a supporting vendor gets a account suspended....

I think his TT kit is a damn good one...
As do I, I want to see more camaros on here with their kit.
RedRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #23
Huck1974
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRyder View Post
As do I, I want to see more camaros on here with their kit.
Not to stir the pot, and I may be incorrect, but isnt the guy that builds the kits he sells on here also selling kits?

I'm not a fan of kits because I like to bust my own knuckles and curse at my car for 2 weeks, but they seem to make the better of the kits out there. I'm just not real impressed with any of them. Everyone can see what components work well. Plumbing doesn't cost three grand.

I'll just be silly and go against the grain as I usually do.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:57 PM   #24
TTI George

Drives: 2009 RJ Colbalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck1974 View Post
Not to stir the pot, and I may be incorrect, but isnt the guy that builds the kits he sells on here also selling kits?

I'm not a fan of kits because I like to bust my own knuckles and curse at my car for 2 weeks, but they seem to make the better of the kits out there. I'm just not real impressed with any of them. Everyone can see what components work well. Plumbing doesn't cost three grand.

I'll just be silly and go against the grain as I usually do.
That's kind of how I started. Plumbing doesn't cost 3k but once your add in the building,insurance,payroll,taxes and all the other BS the government throws at us it gets expensive fast.
TTI George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:48 PM   #25
Huck1974
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTI George View Post
That's kind of how I started. Plumbing doesn't cost 3k but once your add in the building,insurance,payroll,taxes and all the other BS the government throws at us it gets expensive fast.

Man I understand that. Its not easy now days.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:01 PM   #26
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTI George View Post
So much money in business has to go for BS stuff that most of the time kills the business. Between the tax and Insurance, nothing is left! Then you got crooks who don't pay you for the stuff they bought from you
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #27
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
So much money in business has to go for BS stuff that most of the time kills the business. Between the tax and Insurance, nothing is left! Then you got crooks who don't pay you for the stuff they bought from you
Get a collection agent that will give them an offer they cant refuse
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:15 PM   #28
buzzy56
buzzy56

Drives: 2ss summit white L99
Two sides to every coin!

Glad to hear they are coming back! Competition is a good thing.The more the better.Helps keep the cost's down and makes everyone strive harder in most instances.keep the info flowing.Thanks to ALL who have contributed to this thread as it has been very informative to me and increased my knowledge of turbos.Now if I could just find the justification and bucks for a twin set up -oh boy I am