Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 02-10-2014, 11:46 AM   #15
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrinda View Post
Just wondering here, but why would Chevrolet disclose to dealers the allocation(s) of cars given to other dealers? I can understand if someone owns multiple dealerships they would know the allocation for the dealerships they own, but why would they know the allocation number given to dealerships they do not own?
So I sense you are calling BS on me..so I have cleared the number for the 14's but here is the list I was sent. For those that don't know, I have a family member that works at the dealer I buy from and he provided this to me...
Attached Images

mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:51 AM   #16
Mikebrinda

Drives: Ferrari F430 Spider F1 Azzurro Arge
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
So I sense you are calling BS on me..so I have cleared the number for the 14's but here is the list I was sent. For those that don't know, I have a family member that works at the dealer I buy from and he provided this to me...
I would have used your words had I meant to say that.

I politely ask questions of others so that I may learn. Especially as an entrepreneur, I have a natural curiosity about all things business. When something does not makes sense to me, I ask about it in order to learn.
Mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:53 AM   #17
mkorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrinda View Post
I would have used your words had I meant to say that.

I politely ask questions of others so that I may learn. Especially as an entrepreneur, I have a natural curiosity about all things business. When something does not makes sense to me, I ask about it in order to learn.
lol...its all good. At times, things can get snarky on here and I apologize for thinking that is where you were going. Have a great day.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:02 PM   #18
Mikebrinda

Quote:
lol...its all good. At times, things can get snarky on here and I apologize for thinking that is where you were going. Have a great day.
No problem. But back to the question.

It is clear Chevrolet informs dealers about the allocation number given to other dealers, but why would they do that? Look at poor Don Mealy Chevrolet. They sell just as many (57) Camaros as Palm Chevrolet, yet Palm received an allocation and they did not? Worse still for Don Mealy is knowing others received more than one allocation and they received zip.

I don't get it, and I was a franchisor. I personally walked in Chevrolet's shoes. I do not understand their rationale. In my world, it just invites all types of trouble that confidentiality and silence would simply avoid.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:22 PM   #19
mkorgan

This was the explanation given to dealers...
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2014, 12:35 PM   #20
ksupkt87

Drives: 2014 Z/28
Does anyone know of allocations still available in Wisconsin or Minnesota? Thanks.
ksupkt87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:38 PM   #21
Mikebrinda

Quote:
This was the explanation given to dealers...
Thanks very much. Now I see Chevrolet is shooting for transparency here because the dealer allocations are formulaic; you either made the cut as per the formula, or you didn't. And if you didn't, as a dealer you hope for production to be higher than anticipated such that if you were on the bubble, you receive an allocation. I suppose this dealer network transparency is meant to defeat cronyism and any "Good 'ol boy" favoritism in allocating hot products.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:20 PM   #22
terryg75

Drives: Cross flags and 3 pointed stars
We dropped off in our Camaro sales this past year to focus more on the vette's and we didn't even get a allocation for the '14s an only 2 2015's
terryg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:31 PM   #23
Mikebrinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryg75 View Post
We dropped off in our Camaro sales this past year to focus more on the vette's and we didn't even get a allocation for the '14s an only 2 2015's
Interesting comment. I understand the mechanics of how the focus of a dealer sales force can be shifted, but how do you shift the focus of a prospective buyer from the Camaro to the Corvette? Obstacles such as the price difference and lack of a back seat would seem to get in the way.