Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-30-2008, 09:04 PM   #1
DMX

Drives: CrownVic,Suburban,Silverado,F150
GM/Chrysler Merger Would Kill Challenger, Just About Everything Else

Saw Autoblog had posted a new article on the possible merger...

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/30/t...nate-chrysler/

Last edited by DMX; 10-30-2008 at 09:29 PM.
DMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:21 PM   #2
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
It'll be interesting to see how Chrysler's vehicles will fit into GM's lineup...
Old 10-30-2008, 09:30 PM   #3
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
It's as if the media is out to kill Chrysler. There's not enough evidence to believe that everything Mopar would disappear. That would be up to GM's executives. GM is still working through the killing of Oldsmobile, according to fbodfather. He said it costs a lot, and dealers who sell the companies being axed would have trouble because it is a mess eliminating brands. Think about the protests from car people and auto workers. There's just no way GM could kill all of Chrysler.

The moral of the story here is that GM would end up spending a lot of money, time, and effort killing everything Chrysler to kill it, or GM could improve the brands it likes and kill a few that just aren't selling. Of course a lot would have to go, but expect top-notch brands, like much of the Jeep namesakes, to stay.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:42 PM   #4
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
This whole situation just makes me

I'm buying American no matter what.

Jay Leno explained why he buys American cars. He said, he doesn't think any (homeland) Chinese are watching the Tonight Show, so he tries to buy American to support himself and others.
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:15 PM   #5
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
they wont just kill cars off immediately. that is like throwing money into a toilet. the money has been spent to develop and start production to close those plants and to discard those designs does not gaurantee increased market share in GM vehicles people who would have bought a dodge could go buy a ford or toyota instead. thats why they wont end the challenger or other chrysler vehicles immediately.

Last edited by headpunter; 10-31-2008 at 02:06 AM.
headpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:55 PM   #6
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
amen
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:21 AM   #7
headpunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2323 View Post
amen
how funny would it be if your challenger never got made because GM/chrysler merged and shut down the plant
Old 10-31-2008, 01:08 AM   #8
kevin2323

Ide just buy a camaro....simple as that ....best part not being a crazy fanboy, you always have something to fall back on.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:29 AM   #9
headpunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2323 View Post
Ide just buy a camaro....simple as that ....best part not being a crazy fanboy, you always have something to fall back on.
admit it though kevin it would still be hillarious
Old 10-31-2008, 01:55 AM   #10
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Now way I GM go and kill off major parts of Chrysler....I agree headpunter.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:01 AM   #11
kevin2323

I admit I would drink myself into laughter
Old 10-31-2008, 08:43 AM   #12
smike07

Drives: 1998 convertible Camaro RS
I'd imagine GM would kill the all the uggo cars Chrysler built, and keep the rest. I'm sure there is a ton of R & D GM will get out of this deal if it goes through.
smike07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:08 AM   #13
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Honestly, IMVHO, I think this would suck. I think competition improves the breed and although I don't agree with everything about the Chally', I can definately see the need for it, enthusiast-wise. I mean come on, the Chally' and 'Stang are is important to Pony/Muscle/Sports cars as Camaro. Don't get me wrong, if it came down to eliminating one car, in order to keep GM going, I think it goes without saying which I'd side with. I just love the fact that we are getting the big three on the same battlefield again. I wish I were alive in the '60s and '70s and I think this is the closest I'll ever get, and with it coming to a close almost before it got started, really sucks; to me.

Assuming this has a little accuracy - this is too bad... :(

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:20 AM   #14
Design1stCode2nd

Drives: four wheels
Almost all of Chrysler’s product would be gone in a buyout (it’s not a merger). Cerberus wants out and wants the rest of GMAC which is what they wanted to begin with. Chrysler has some cash on hand and is pairing down to become more attractive. This also gives GM leverage with the Feds as in “If we fail think of all the jobs lost now”. Very little that Chrysler produces is competitive and even if they have some competitive models most compete directly with existing GM models. One of the things GM has is too many brands, adding 3 more does nothing for them.

The sole reason for doing this is to kill part of your competition and essentially force the Feds to keep you in business. How Wagoner keeps his job is beyond me. They need a complete wipe of upper management and the board of directors. Bring in someone like Mullaly along with new management (not from existing D3) and give them complete control.

As it stands now GM has about a year before it’s forced to file Chapter 11 unless there is a bailout. They can say bankruptcy is not an option until they are blue in the face. The sad part is Chapter 11 would actually be very beneficial and I believe they would return smaller and much much more profitable.
Design1stCode2nd is offline   Reply With Quote