Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 01-30-2013, 02:21 AM   #43
zer0ss

Drives: 2012 Camaro V6 LFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011*Camaro*SS View Post
Attachment 467699
Someone tell me if I have this right.

What I want to do is have the (ON/ON) switch so that if I need light I can flip it to on and when I'm done flip it back to the off (ON) position and the lights will work with my dome lights and other footwell lights.
This is the same configuration as described in the DIY - just without using a center position. You could use a SPCO - but a SPDT is perfect for this application.

I am installing these new footwell lights in my back seat and some times I need only the back lights not the front ones. So I want to be able to turn on only the back lights and when I get out all the lights in the car come on.
The problem with what you want to do is this:

Wired like this:
1 LED Front
2 DOME Power
3 LED Back
4 LED Back
5 12V Source
6 LED Front

You would have a DPDT On-On Switch (with off or you'd never have a circuit that won't kill your battery). The problem lies in it you will not have a setting for both on constant 12V power or both on dome lighting at the same time.

The closest you could do with this set up would be:
1) Front and Back LED
2) Dome Power
3) Nothing
4) Back LED
5) 12V Source
6) Front and Back LED

In the top Toggle Position you'd have 12V power to all footwells. Center position is all off, Bottom Position would be LED Dome powered with 12V applied to rear, but to accomplish this youd have to diode and have to have protection circuits (in case you turned dome on with 12V currently supplied).

The easiest way to accomplish what you want is to wire the front and rear leds in parallel (using two switches instead of one) exactly as described in this thread. You can wire to a separate 12V source to keep the load down, but I don't know of another circuit with the dimming "theater" function as the dome light.

Hope this helps.
Sound: Two 12" Kicker Comp Subs in ******** Enclosure

Last edited by zer0ss; 01-30-2013 at 04:23 AM. Reason: additional info
zer0ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #44
2011*Camaro*SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Vert
Okay, I read through the thread...I'm still confused as to where the 12V power is coming from on the 11's. We have a fuse where the OP tapped in. Could someone who knows what every wire in the car goes to, help? If i was to tap into the TC button power will it only work when the TC button is backlit?
Old 02-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #45
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011*Camaro*SS View Post
Okay, I read through the thread...I'm still confused as to where the 12V power is coming from on the 11's. We have a fuse where the OP tapped in. Could someone who knows what every wire in the car goes to, help? If i was to tap into the TC button power will it only work when the TC button is backlit?
Tap into the cigarette outlet (IE the 12V) it has power whenever the key is in the ignition.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #46
Flaco2806

Drives: White camaro 2LT/RS
What about this switch, will this works
Attached Images

Flaco2806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #47
Asian Zero

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 1LT RS
thats just an on-off switch. it has 3 poles bc that switch has an LED in it. if you want it to function with the dome and have control even when the dome is off you need to buy a different switch.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #48
jokerkojack

Drives: 2012
Hey gang.. What size t-tap do I need to buy to tap into the gray wire. Looks like I need to buy one on amazon because no one carrys them around my home.
jokerkojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:12 AM   #49
Iced Bullet
Iced Bullet

Drives: LT1 RS SILVER ICE 2011
Great video. I can;t wait for the rain to stop so I can Install my blue foot well lights. You took a lot of time to do this for us and has inspired me to do a vid on my next mod, what ever it will be. I just got my camaro in Jan 2013 and I am electrified with excitment.
Iced Bullet
Iced Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #50
Randyscamaro2010

Drives: Cammed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandier View Post
Did my lighting... Looks sweet! At first I was all over installing the switch, then said screw it. I went easy; tapped straight into grey with no switch, grounded 'em and we're good to go. I started thinking why would I want to turn the footwell lighting on or off??? If it's tapped into the dome light it all controlled there. I'm totally happy with the set up. To all those who contributed and answered my questions... Thank you!

For the video:

(not sure how to load videos here yet)... well, look at that. It worked!
Exactly just use the wire for the dome light/dash lights you don't even have to splice the wire. You can just connect the end of the wire to the fuse that controls the abl/radio lights/ and dash lights. And the footwell light will come on when it is dark outside and will dim when you choose to
Randyscamaro2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:24 PM   #51
IOM Black Diamond
HT5 COTW 1/21/13

Drives: 2010 Camaro Inferno 2SS RS 6M
Old 05-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #52
TwentyTen2SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I really feel like this should be simple... LOL.

But I am terrible at wiring (although hooked up fog lights) and this seems pretty straight forward but couple questions.

1. How did you secure the LED's? Just have tape on back side of the strip I take it?

2. Can you use the ones found on eBay? Or any recommendations?

3. I have 2013 and don't have that extra fuse spot either, but would like to hook up a switch if possible. I think it'd be cool to have them on while driving sometimes, or at least the ability to, not just when doors open.

4. Anyone have a basic diagram? I am planning on tapping into grey wire as mentioned
TwentyTen2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #53
rachelmoreaux
RachelM1295

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Hey I have a few questions; well more than a few lol. I love everything you did and I follow everything that you explained really well, but I have questions about some of the minor details that weren't covered. I want to make sure I have a total grasp on it before I start this project. I'm planning to do the same and I'm trying to figure out what all I need to buy. My Oracle 12V Flex Strips came in yesterday. I have a 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS. What gauge is the red wire you are using? 12, 14, 16, 18, or 22? I see that at some spots you use the blue connectors and at others the red. What type of connector or terminal are you using to connect to the ground; spade or ring? Did you have to crimp all of those parts? What crimper do you have? What did you use to cut the hole needed for the switch and what size is the hole supposed to be? Told you I had a lot of questions. Thanks for your time and thanks for your post! )
rachelmoreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #54
TwentyTen2SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelmoreaux View Post
Hey I have a few questions; well more than a few lol. I love everything you did and I follow everything that you explained really well, but I have questions about some of the minor details that weren't covered. I want to make sure I have a total grasp on it before I start this project. I'm planning to do the same and I'm trying to figure out what all I need to buy. My Oracle 12V Flex Strips came in yesterday. I have a 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS. What gauge is the red wire you are using? 12, 14, 16, 18, or 22? I see that at some spots you use the blue connectors and at others the red. What type of connector or terminal are you using to connect to the ground; spade or ring? Did you have to crimp all of those parts? What crimper do you have? What did you use to cut the hole needed for the switch and what size is the hole supposed to be? Told you I had a lot of questions. Thanks for your time and thanks for your post! )
I basically have these same questions. You aren't alone. I ordered oracle lighting in the two blue strips.. they are in the mail, and so far that is all I have.

Do most of the necessary parts come in that?
Old 05-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #55
rachelmoreaux
RachelM1295

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013BlackLS View Post
I basically have these same questions. You aren't alone. I ordered oracle lighting in the two blue strips.. they are in the mail, and so far that is all I have.

Do most of the necessary parts come in that?
No it just comes with the two LED strips. They both have the positive and negative wires attached but thats it. Basically you have to by everything else.
rachelmoreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #56
TwentyTen2SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelmoreaux View Post
No it just comes with the two LED strips. They both have the positive and negative wires attached but thats it. Basically you have to by everything else.
Maybe we can figure this out together!