Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-05-2010, 01:03 AM   #1
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Drives: S.I.M. SS
Cool Exhaust Question

I plan on buying a new exhaust for my SS, I think Im going to go with magnaflow and get they're "Stainless Cat-Back System PERFORMANCE EXHAUST".

I went to youtube and listened to the sound of this exhaust and it sounds PERFECT, just loud and very aggressive, but here is my question before I buy,...what is the difference between a "cat-back" system and "axle back" system? Is one made to be louder than the other, one give more hp gain over the other? Do I need headers for this particular exhaust? And what's so special about the "competition series and street series", is one louder than the other or give more hp gain?

I honestly am not educated about these things,...anyone knowledgeable please share.

"V8 6.2L
2.5in System, Axle-Back, Competition Series, DUAL SPLIT REAR EXIT"
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
**Result**: 465rwhp/ 447rwtq. Satisfied.
Mr CLuTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:05 AM   #2
BOOTZILLA
Banned

Drives: Black 2010 SS/RS
The CAT-BACK system replaces all the piping from your catalytic converters all the way back to the exhaust tips out the rear end.

The AXLE-BACK system is just that. It bolts on after the axle, replaces piping and mufflers and tips.
BOOTZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:07 AM   #3
BOOTZILLA
Banned

Drives: Black 2010 SS/RS
Do you have a link showing the details of these systems you're looking at?

We can help explain it all :-P
BOOTZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:08 AM   #4
SamSS

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr CLuTcH View Post
I plan on buying a new exhaust for my SS, I think Im going to go with magnaflow and get they're "Stainless Cat-Back System PERFORMANCE EXHAUST".

I went to youtube and listened to the sound of this exhaust and it sounds PERFECT, just loud and very aggressive, but here is my question before I buy,...what is the difference between a "cat-back" system and "axle back" system? Is one made to be louder than the other, one give more hp gain over the other? Do I need headers for this particular exhaust? And what's so special about the "competition series and street series", is one louder than the other or give more hp gain?

I honestly am not educated about these things,...anyone knowledgeable please share.

"V8 6.2L
2.5in System, Axle-Back, Competition Series, DUAL SPLIT REAR EXIT"
A cat back system replaces everything after the catalytic converters, but an axle back system just changes the mufflers at the end.
A cat back will be much louder than an axle back and also you gain more HP's with a cat back.
You don't need headers for a cat back or axle back system.
The street series has two mufflers at the end also, the competition series doesn't. The comp series is way louder and you'll gain more HP's.

Don't get an axle back system, you're just paying for mufflers. You might even find a cat back system as cheap as an axle back if you shop around.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:09 AM   #5
eynigush
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SSRS Rally Yellow
Go with the cat-back. It's what I have. It will give you an enclosed x-pipe that replaces the stock resonators and does a great job of minimizing drone. It sounds great at WOT but doesn't interrupt conversations on long road trips.

--Eddie
eynigush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:14 AM   #6
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Omg, wow. Thanks for all of the educated responses! CAT BACK FTW....

Here is the link to the exhaust I was looking at: http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...one=all&id=128

Yeah, I want HP gain and the more aggressive sound. I want to be able to do 60-70 and have you hear me down the road.
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
Old 01-05-2010, 01:19 AM   #7
eynigush
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SSRS Rally Yellow
People will know you're coming but it won't be annoyingly loud. I actually want a more aggressive sound so I'm ordering Kooks headers with high flow cats. That way people will really know I'm coming...

Quote:

Here is the link to the exhaust I was looking at: http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...one=all&id=128

Yeah, I want HP gain and the more aggressive sound. I want to be able to do 60-70 and have you hear me down the road.
eynigush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:33 AM   #8
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Well, I heard all of Magnaflows exhaust sounds, and I don't like any one of them besides the axle back,..which equals no gain. I just looked at SLP performance, it seems as if all they're offering is axle back systems with headers. I see the headers available and the axle back sold separately to give it that sound in the video, but I think I'm going to go with Hennessey's headers which gains 30rwhp without a tune and up to 50rwhp with a tune. Then,...come back with some type of Magnaflow exhaust. I think I've found one exhaust that appeals to me from them. But I'll get it after my headers.
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
Old 01-05-2010, 01:51 AM   #9
SamSS

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
Quote:
Well, I heard all of Magnaflows exhaust sounds, and I don't like any one of them besides the axle back,..which equals no gain. I just looked at SLP performance, it seems as if all they're offering is axle back systems with headers. I see the headers available and the axle back sold separately to give it that sound in the video, but I think I'm going to go with Hennessey's headers which gains 30rwhp without a tune and up to 50rwhp with a tune. Then,...come back with some type of Magnaflow exhaust. I think I've found one exhaust that appeals to me from them. But I'll get it after my headers.
The sound clip from that axle back system you posted is actually from Magnaflow's competition series cat back system, not just an axle back.

Here are 2 clips from the Magnaflow competition series 2.5" cat back (part # 16580)...
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/1...ake_692631.htm
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/1...-By_692654.htm
Old 01-05-2010, 03:00 AM   #10
Mzodarg
Remembering those in Blue

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Blk w/IOM Int
Quote:
so I'm ordering Kooks headers with high flow cats. That way people will really know I'm coming...

with the above coupled with a Solo Mach XL, dyno below (25 Sec into the video, the tuner does WOT- Chubby material)
Old 01-05-2010, 09:49 AM   #11
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
What ever you chose, you need to be happy with the money spent and what you have. Read the threads and listen to some videos members have posted. Make your choice and go with it.

I chose my system for added performance but it needed to sound deep and not raspy, just my preference.

This is mine, http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58363

Fact of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday
even the calendar reads...
W T F
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:12 AM   #12
X-treme Horsepower

Drives: 2010 LSX Shootout World AM Finalist
magnaflow sounds great with either the axle back or the cat back you will be happy with it
give me a call im a magnaflow dealer and i can get you a deal on ether set
X-treme Horsepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:06 PM   #13
defragme

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:

The link you posted here is for the competition series axle back, which is just a muffler delete. All you are buying is a few feet of pipe and the 5" tips. If you want a muffler delete you can just go to a muffler shop and get it cheaper, or the SLP loudmouth I is also a muffler delete kit with 4" tips and costs a bit over $400 at lmperformance.com.

Just thought I would make sure you knew what you were looking at there.
defragme is offline   Reply With Quote