Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-28-2011, 09:15 AM   #71
CamaroRS/SS10

Drives: '13 Hot Wheels & '14 Z/28
This is the way I see it in Nashville. It's the union because I went to haul some of the cars out of the train yard where they come into Nashville and the Union is at the gates not want us to take the cars and trucks out to get them to the dealers. We have had things thrown at us and yelled about crossing the lines! It might have started with the companies but it's the union that wont let us get the dealers cars. I don't know the details about the talks between the companies but as far as the actions at the train yard it's all Union. I agree with comment that a lot of businesses are having to give pay cuts because of bad times. So what makes the truckers any better than the rest of us? It's better than no job or not making money like they are doing now. In the long run WE are going to pay for this through unemployment because they are going to loss lots of jobs over this. Just my input.
2013 Hot Wheels Camaro #63 SS 6-Speed. All stock and keeping it that way.

2014 Z/28 #119 A/C car(not by choice, ordered wrong) All stock and plan to keep it that way. The kid in me wants to mod the Hell out of it but the adult says it will be worth more years down the road. The 2 of them need to stop fighting!
1983 Chevrolet C10 lowered and restoring.
1986 Chevrolet K10 6 in lift, 35's,restored daily driver for my son.
2013 Hot Wheels Camaro. Life Size Toy..
2014 Z/28 my weekend stress reliever!
2015 Checy Sonic RS
2015 Chevy Equinox
CamaroRS/SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:42 AM   #72
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
Too much union, companies and unions must remain flexible and be able to adjust to the current economic conditions.
Hmm... ok, let's imagine you're one of those union workers. Not sure how much truck drivers get paid, but I'm assuming it's not a huge amount. Now the company tells you you'll be getting 20% LESS than that amount. You're telling me you wouldn't have an issue with that? I know that if I had to take a 20% pay cut, yeah I could still pay my bills, but that would be about all I could afford. All work and no fun is no way to live life, especially when you have no clue how long those pay cuts will last... or if there will be further cuts down the line. Just sayin.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:44 AM   #73
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Damn..... Bring those babies home! Where's Elian at??

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:54 AM   #74
CRANKYPANTS

Drives: I WANT MY 1ST CAR BACK, 1979 Z28
First, wouldn't they have a contract saying they have a certain time frame to deliver the cars from the time they were picked up. Second, Wouldn't this be considered stealing and if so call the cops and raise hell. Allied is stupid to do this, they have now lost 2 big customers and the whole word of moth thing really does work. Have fun trying to stay a float Allied.
CRANKYPANTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:56 AM   #75
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRANKYPANTS View Post
First, wouldn't they have a contract saying they have a certain time frame to deliver the cars from the time they were picked up. Second, Wouldn't this be considered stealing and if so call the cops and raise hell. Allied is stupid to do this, they have now lost 2 big customers and the whole word of moth thing really does work. Have fun trying to stay a float Allied.
If I worked for that company I'd be searching for a new job now before things start sliding...
Old 03-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #76
leonardo
SoCal HT5 [COTW 11/24/13]

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS / Ducati 1198s
Quote:
Originally Posted by az2009se View Post
The company made the bad decision. The union does not run the company, it represents the workers.

Don't blame the union.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Update on the issue from The local paper The Detroit news.
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/2...103242011&ts=H

Cars 'Held Hostage' In Legal Dispute

Delivery Company Refuses To Haul Hundreds Of GM, Chrysler Vehicles

POSTED: Thursday, March 24, 2011
UPDATED: 7:51 pm EDT March 24, 2011

DEARBORN, Mich. -- Hundreds of new General Motors and Chrysler vehicles are parked in a holding lot in Dearborn because of a dispute between the automakers and a car-hauling company.
Chrysler and GM said their vehicles, which are supposed to be delivered to local dealerships, are being "held hostage."
Watch: Automaker's' Dispute With Haulig Company Leaves Cars In Lot
The dispute is over how much the car-hauling company, Allied Systems, has asked the automakers to pay.
According to a driver for Allied Systems, the dispute started when Allied cut drivers' pay by 20 percent.
The driver, who asked not to be identified, said Allied Systems backed off the pay cut after the drivers' union threatened to strike.
The driver said at that point Allied Systems tried to make up the difference by imposing a fuel surcharge on the automakers.
General Motors and Chrysler have refused to pay the surcharge and have sued Allied Systems, demanding the vehicles be delivered.
The dispute has left auto salespersons, customers and delivery drivers caught in the middle.
"I feel like I'm in limbo," said one car-hauler who asked not to be identified. "It feels like it's a waiting game and we're kind of stuck in the middle. And we're just very hopeful that this gets worked out soon."
Car-haulers said they are also concerned about what the legal dispute will do to their jobs.
"The concern for my job is there because it's a battle between two very large companies," said a driver who works for Allied Systems. "I'm just hoping they can meet in the middle because a lot of people's livelihoods are at stake here."

yea ok dont blame the union
Old 03-28-2011, 10:16 AM   #77
L05ER
displacement whore

Drives: 71 Monte Carlo
i've always disliked the idea of unions... since i was born in the late 20th century not the late 19th century. maybe it's a little personal for me, owning my own company and all.

it's all business, if the workers refuse to take a pay cut and the customer refuses to pay the new cost of business... well i'd just say screw em both. close down and let the employees find new jobs and customers find new companies.

GM is just as much to blame for the current scenario as anyone. take the 15% (what are we talking here $100 per car max?!) hit and find a new shipper... it beats disappointing customers and HOPING they see it as allied's fault.
L05ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:30 AM   #78
GenetX
NUTRITION, INC

Drives: 2SSRS REVOLUTIONSS
$100 per car max? MULTIPLY that buy the hundreds and hundreds of thousands of cars that will be shipped. It adds up pretty quick we're not talking pennies here. I'm sure they will find a new shipper after this crap settles.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:31 AM   #79
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
It's not just a matter of 15% on cars in this situation, from what I've read they demanded a multi year contract at higher rates. Basically tearing up the current contract. That increase in shipping costs for years would dissapoint tons of future car buyers with higher costs.

Why pay x + when other suppliers are out their bidding and wanting the work at X - ? When you need to price compete with your vehicles, every dollar is a huge.

Take $100 times a couple million cars sold in the US per year? Ouch, maybe it is pretty smart to competitively bid shipping costs and sticking to contracts.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:43 AM   #80
L05ER
displacement whore

Drives: 71 Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
It's not just a matter of 15% on cars in this situation, from what I've read they demanded a multi year contract at higher rates. Basically tearing up the current contract. That increase in shipping costs for years would dissapoint tons of future car buyers with higher costs.

Why pay x + when other suppliers are out their bidding and wanting the work at X - ? When you need to price compete with your vehicles, every dollar is a huge.

Take $100 times a couple million cars sold in the US per year? Ouch, maybe it is pretty smart to competitively bid shipping costs and sticking to contracts.
$100 was my wild estimate based on what i have seen of ~$1000 delivery costs on a car.

you are talking less than 1% of the sale price of the car... yes over time as a contract it adds up. prices rise, it's a fact of life. GM was dealing with them for a reason , which is *more than likely* that they offered the best deal on the last contract.

i never said GM should just bend over and take it. i said pay it and FIND ANOTHER SHIPPER. this sends the message to me that GM cares more for a fraction of a percentage point than they do for providing customers with what they paid for. NEVER a good view point for a customer to have.

perception is reality, and for a company... customer perception is EVERYTHING.
L05ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:57 AM   #81
OrangeSS2011.5

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS Orange
A Rescue Mission should be coordinated....just sayin'
OrangeSS2011.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:02 AM   #82
slacker
Troubled 40 something

Drives: 2010 IOM RS/SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
Hmm... ok, let's imagine you're one of those union workers. Not sure how much truck drivers get paid, but I'm assuming it's not a huge amount. Now the company tells you you'll be getting 20% LESS than that amount. You're telling me you wouldn't have an issue with that? I know that if I had to take a 20% pay cut, yeah I could still pay my bills, but that would be about all I could afford. All work and no fun is no way to live life, especially when you have no clue how long those pay cuts will last... or if there will be further cuts down the line. Just sayin.
Welcome to the non-union economy.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:16 AM   #83
sangerbanger58

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 1LT/RS
isn't that GTA if the car's and trucks are paid for already?
Old 03-28-2011, 11:26 AM   #84
danno2012

Drives: sw 2ss rs, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans2SSCamaro View Post
AMEN
ditto!
danno2012 is offline   Reply With Quote