Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 03-23-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
JoCamaro20

Drives: 2002 Ford Mustang
How much would a s/c hurt the gas mileage?

So for my 20th birthday I'm going out and getting the 2ss. I was thinking about doing some engine upgrades but before I do how much do upgrades hurt the mpg? I know I sound like the typical newbe but hey you cant learn if you dont ask questions..lol

Supercharger?
CAI?
Turbos?
Changing the gearing?

Last edited by JoCamaro20; 03-23-2010 at 04:33 PM.
JoCamaro20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
s/c doesn't hurt the gas mileage unless you put your foot in it.

Look in the forced induction thread.
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
JoCamaro20

Thank you.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:03 PM   #4
squat

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger
A lot of upgrades will actually improve MPG as long as you don't floor it from every stop. I don't know/haven't heard anything about a blower specifically though.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:33 PM   #5
sykb47l

Drives: 73' VW Bug
With a VERY heavy foot mine only dropped .5 mpg.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:49 PM   #6
COBOWTIE

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2, 2007 Z06
Talking from huge experience. The manufactures and the people that need to justify why they spent 6k to 10k for a charger will tell you that it doesn't hurt gas mileage. Some people will even go as far as stating that it will improve gas mileage. Here are the simple facts about upgrades.

1st you have to add more fuel to a motor with a supercharger (that right there should tell you that it will not improve or stay the same) GM and Ford both run cars at stoiche 14.75 a/f for mileage, all upgrades and flash tuners change that to add more fuel to be able to add more timing to get more power.

2nd when you add a s/c the average mpg reading in the vehicle is not correct unless you have a kick butt tuner that actually changes the MASS meter to the correct grams per second that the s/c is adding to it. Most people do not do the simple math at the gas pump to get an accurate mpg after the upgrade.

I wished I could say that CAI, headers and s/c helped or kept the same mpg but after installing over 10 s/c's on my own cars and trucks it does not.

On average I have seen minimum of 5% loss to 20% loss depending on the amount of boost and upgrades.

COBOWTIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
Archangel

Drives: 1999 GMC Sierra Z71
it improves mpg by 75%...i am just kidding really, i have know idea to be honest but i would have to agree with COBOWTIE just out of pure logic of the a/f mixture...but I still want one

If I agreed with you then we would both be wrong

Last edited by Archangel; 03-23-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:29 PM   #8
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
It will worsen it, I dont know why ANYONE would even try to tell you that it is the same when your foot "isn't in it". Total bs. I'll try to explain it this way.......

Stock you have a 400hp motor.
Slap on a supercharger (specifically a BELT driven supercharger), now you have a 500hp motor.
BUT the supercharger itself sucks hp simply to drive it. The supercharger can absorb roughly 40-50hp just to spin it up to boost levels that will get you a net output of 500hp.

What this means is that you now have a motor that sucks gas like a 550hp motor but gives you 500hp in return. Even at 1000rpm it is taking hp to turn that supercharger, ie: wasted power/wasted gas.

Yes, if you BABY it around town the mpg difference won't be TOO bad, but it will be noticeable. If you do drive it HARD (and YOU WILL) the mpg difference will be substantial.

This is why a turbocharger that provides boost on wasted energy (exhaust gases) is much more effecient. If you are overly concerned about mileage I would consider a rear-mount turbo setup from STS. Similar price, similar performance. It won't have the initial snap that the supercharger will provide, but it will provide a substantial increase in power up top. When you are simply cruising around town, the car will behave almost stock-like.
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:59 PM   #9
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelster View Post
It will worsen it, I dont know why ANYONE would even try to tell you that it is the same when your foot "isn't in it". Total bs. I'll try to explain it this way.......

Stock you have a 400hp motor.
Slap on a supercharger (specifically a BELT driven supercharger), now you have a 500hp motor.
BUT the supercharger itself sucks hp simply to drive it. The supercharger can absorb roughly 40-50hp just to spin it up to boost levels that will get you a net output of 500hp.

What this means is that you now have a motor that sucks gas like a 550hp motor but gives you 500hp in return. Even at 1000rpm it is taking hp to turn that supercharger, ie: wasted power/wasted gas.

Yes, if you BABY it around town the mpg difference won't be TOO bad, but it will be noticeable. If you do drive it HARD (and YOU WILL) the mpg difference will be substantial.

This is why a turbocharger that provides boost on wasted energy (exhaust gases) is much more effecient. If you are overly concerned about mileage I would consider a rear-mount turbo setup from STS. Similar price, similar performance. It won't have the initial snap that the supercharger will provide, but it will provide a substantial increase in power up top. When you are simply cruising around town, the car will behave almost stock-like.
Well stated.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:28 PM   #10
Spiv
Why you gotta be hatin'?

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelster View Post
Intriguing. I must investigate.
Spiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:32 PM   #11
JoCamaro20

Thank you Joelster, that was definitely the sort of answer I was looking for.
How much of an increase in the 0-60 area will i see with a rear mounted turbo on a 7psi boost?
But I must admit I'm not a big fan of the whistling of the turbos unless it's in a truck..lol
Old 03-23-2010, 07:54 PM   #12
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
I avg 26 or so mpg on the highway with my procharger @ 7 psi (stock procharger mail-in tune). The car has 1500 miles on it.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:11 PM   #13
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Drives: S.I.M. SS
Well,...with all the facts on superchargers and turbos laid out, I want the FASTLANE Performance turbocharger ftw!!! 10 second car!!!
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
**Result**: 465rwhp/ 447rwtq. Satisfied.
Mr CLuTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:54 PM   #14
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCamaro20 View Post
Thank you Joelster, that was definitely the sort of answer I was looking for.
How much of an increase in the 0-60 area will i see with a rear mounted turbo on a 7psi boost?
But I must admit I'm not a big fan of the whistling of the turbos unless it's in a truck..lol

If you are a solid driver I would guess around .5-.8 faster to 60mph. 1/4 mile ET should drop into the bottom 12's, possibly an 11.99 on a perfect run with good air. The turbo whistle sounds pretty good actually.
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote