Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 07-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
duffmobile

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS - IOM/IOM
1st time Big Tracking - need advice

Hey guys, I will be running at Gingerman raceway with the camaro 5 crew on July 19th.

I need some help with brake pads / fluid recommendation.

I am currently running the stock pads and rotors. I will be installing stainless steel lines and dot3 or 4 fresh fluid before the race. I also want to know what pads I should put on. These will be my track only pads and I will switch back to my stock pads after C5 Fest down in Indy. I can deal with squeaky brakes on the street for a few weeks.

The car is not a DD.

I have a kenne bell that just got put on, along with ZL1 front / rear sways, 2012 LCA and the pedders sub frame bushing inserts. My only AutoX experience was last year at the fest and I think that was peanuts compared to the 2.1 mile course in Michigan.

I'd like to buy some stuff today or tomorrow so I can install this week.

Thanks for the help.
L99 with 2.8 LC Kenne Bell, Kooks 1 7/8 headers, Corsa Catback, R2C CAI, 491 RWHP / 500 RWTQ ---- 2010 MY #7539

Last edited by duffmobile; 07-08-2013 at 11:20 AM. Reason: big tracking, not auto X
duffmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Get some motul brake fluid dot4 is what you want for a road course or the best stuff is castrol srf but it's not cheap. Brake pads are a different story. I have used hawk HPS and they worked pretty good but would like more bite. So I am going to try the HP plus or one of racing brakes compounds.

I have also heard good things about carbotech brake pads.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Ask Justice Pete on the forum exactly what you'll need and follow what he tells you to the letter. He'll get you started with the right setup.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
confused are you auto crossing or big tracking? auto cross just go and have fun... big track take care of brakes for safety first
Old 07-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
duffmobile

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS - IOM/IOM
I'm running this:

http://www.gingermanraceway.com/track-layout
L99 with 2.8 LC Kenne Bell, Kooks 1 7/8 headers, Corsa Catback, R2C CAI, 491 RWHP / 500 RWTQ ---- 2010 MY #7539
duffmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:45 PM   #6
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
If it was me I would just go and have fun. I you decide you really enjoy it, then start getting track only stuff. That's me though.

And btw...that's not autocross. Just sayin.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
Synner

Drives: cars
Thats a road course not autocross, 2 very different things. Motul RBF600 is a great brake fluid choice, don't run off the shelf DOT 3 or 4 or you'll have serious fade if you drive it hard. I would at least do that and see if you become addicted. Just have a tire gauge and monitor pressures, I try to maintain 34-35 hot. Anything more and they seem to get slick.

If you get hawks don't do anything less than their track pad lines, they are hard on rotors but the pads last a bit longer. The HP+ and HPS will crap out on you if you drive hard. Racing brake has good stuff. Cobalt Frictions are also good.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:58 AM   #8
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffmobile View Post
Hey guys, I will be running at Gingerman raceway with the camaro 5 crew on July 19th.

I need some help with brake pads / fluid recommendation.

I am currently running the stock pads and rotors. I will be installing stainless steel lines and dot3 or 4 fresh fluid before the race. I also want to know what pads I should put on. These will be my track only pads and I will switch back to my stock pads after C5 Fest down in Indy. I can deal with squeaky brakes on the street for a few weeks.

The car is not a DD.

I have a kenne bell that just got put on, along with ZL1 front / rear sways, 2012 LCA and the pedders sub frame bushing inserts. My only AutoX experience was last year at the fest and I think that was peanuts compared to the 2.1 mile course in Michigan.

I'd like to buy some stuff today or tomorrow so I can install this week.

Thanks for the help.
Don't know if you've already bought stuff or not.

ATE brake fluid is decent stuff, reasonably priced, and fairly widely available. Use the amber stuff (the blue stuff apparently can stain plastics).

I'd say there's no big hurry on the SS lines, as that's more of a brake feel thing than anything. You'll be busy enough (re)learning how to drive, take corners, and getting to know the track like you do your favorite on-ramp or twisty road.

Hawk's HP+ is pitched as an entry-level track pad that's reasonably streetable (as long as lots of dust, some noise, and faster rotor wear don't bother you too much). It should be enough pad for your first few track days or until you start getting noticeably faster than your first outing. Plan on a brief learning period to get used to the much better bite (this probably applies to anybody's track pads relative to what you're used to in street pads).

Don't even consider HPS, given that kenne bell thingie you just installed.

Speaking of which - don't get carried away by the still new to you power, as your maximum cornering speed for the upcoming turn is still the same as whatever it was before. Squeeze, don't stomp, into the throttle on corner exit (else sideways seat-pucker moment).

Have fun.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote