Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 04-23-2014, 10:34 PM   #1
Slayer1677

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Thinking About Powder Calipers

I'm looking to powder coat my brake calipers possibly this summer. I live in the Chicago area. Anybody know a good powder coater? And any idea on how much this will run me? Also do I have to take these off myself and bring them there? Seems like a dumb question but ya never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2014, 05:43 AM   #2
thkfast

Drives: '14 Red 2SS/RS/LS3
To see the possibilities, check out Mike the Powdercoater's thread in the Brakes section. I believe he charges $390 total if you ship him your calipers. They look -Wow!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...E+POWDERCOATER

In order to powdercoat them, yes someone will have to undo the brake lines, disassemble the calipers, powdercoat, then reassemble, bleed brake lines, etc...

I can't turn a wrench, so I opted to paint my own, put ebay decals on, then clear coat.

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 234
Size:  122.9 KB

thkfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
Slayer1677

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by thkfast View Post
To see the possibilities, check out Mike the Powdercoater's thread in the Brakes section. I believe he charges $390 total if you ship him your calipers. They look -Wow!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...E+POWDERCOATER

In order to powdercoat them, yes someone will have to undo the brake lines, disassemble the calipers, powdercoat, then reassemble, bleed brake lines, etc...

I can't turn a wrench, so I opted to paint my own, put ebay decals on, then clear coat.

Attachment 620246
Man those came out great. Were you just able to keep your calipers on to do this? Any problems with paint chipping, etc? What paint/clear coat did you use?
Old 04-24-2014, 12:39 PM   #4
CamaroI

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro
G2 makes a kit. No need to remove from car

CamaroI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:42 PM   #5
SSMKNU2

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroI View Post
G2 makes a kit. No need to remove from car

X2 for a FRACTION of the cost of powdercoating and the ease of doing it in a couple hours I'd recommend G2. Its a paint on kit that comes with a hardner. It holds up great and looks like you had them coated.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:13 AM   #6
thkfast

Drives: '14 Red 2SS/RS/LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer1677 View Post
Man those came out great. Were you just able to keep your calipers on to do this? Any problems with paint chipping, etc? What paint/clear coat did you use?
I hope this link helps. It took the better part of 8 hours to do them right. I never had to disconnect a brake line, I just unbolted the calipers and the bracket that attaches the brake line to the suspension so I could have enough slack to work on them. This is my full DIY and the products I used.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...y+red+calipers

thkfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:27 AM   #7
Dwarfey

Drives: 2011 1LT A/T Black w/ Red Stripes
Or you could go even further on the effort scale and buy an $8 can of caliper paint from autozone. Just take the tire off, mask all the stuff you dont want to get paint on with newspaper and tape and spray away. Mind you, it wont look as glossy and pretty, but from a couple feet back, you wouldn't know that the back of em are still bare metal. Thats what I did and it looks fine. I'd post pics but my car is away. PM me if ya want em
-MRT v2.0 Exhaust -Painted Red Racing Stripes -Volant Cold Air Intake -Painted Red Interior Accents -Anzo Projector Headlights w/ Oracle White/Red Halos -Black Bowties -Rockford Fosgate 10" Sub w/ 1000W Kenwood Amp
-ZL1 Spoiler - Gloss Black Powder-coated 20" SS Wheels
Dwarfey is offline   Reply With Quote