Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #15
jeffny09

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
its easy....just install the insulator...and put intake back on with the rear bolt allready on the IM as u r putting it back on guide the rear bolt to the correct spoke...did it on the first try...

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:56 AM   #16
chicagobulls
one car wolfpack

Drives: 2010 Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by calflan View Post
If you already have the IM installed, you'd need to pull it off to put teh rear bolt in the way the others are talking. No way to angle it in, once the IM is installed down hard.
Look at pulling the fairing that surrounds the windshield wipers. You don't need to remov eit, just take out the black clip in fasteners, enough to raise it so you can access the structure under it. I had to remove the left side of that fairing (it sepeartes from the right side - which is more or less the length of the windshield). Drill a hole large enough for the bolt head to go through, then drop the bolt down into the manifold. Tightening is slow, but it can be done. You already have all assembled so doing it any other way would require more or less full disassembly, including cleaning off the old RTV and putting a new bead down.

I agree with everyone else too, there are only 6 bolts holding the IM down, and they need seal all possible leaks, so leaving one out is not good.

The bolts others have talked about leaving out are, as mentioned, the plenum aft bolt and the bolts holding the rubber fairing that was mounted to the back of the IM (two large bolts).
I think im gonna try this way. it seems the fastest and easiest. THANKS!
chicagobulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:04 AM   #17
tr1gger
Built 4/23/09

Drives: 2010 Black 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACE_ENG View Post
Glad to hear that it's all sorted

Best Regards,
Steve
Your link in your sig is broken. Double check your code, the bold and such is in the wrong spot

Blu808, Campbell, CA 408.376.0560
tr1gger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:57 AM   #18
MACE_ENG

Drives: LLT Machine
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr1gger View Post
Your link in your sig is broken. Double check your code, the bold and such is in the wrong spot
Doh! Thanks heaps for pointing that out

Best Regards,
Steve
MACE_ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #19
chicagobulls
one car wolfpack

Drives: 2010 Camaro V6
Thanks steve for the great customer Service and fast shipping time!

I will be purchasing from you more in the future.

THANKS!
chicagobulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #20
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Not to thread jack but when I got my plenum and 25mm spacers, why do I get 4 long bolts and 5 bolts that are a little longer?
Old 06-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #21
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
The five long bolts are for the spacer and the 4 long are probably for the plenum. I got the five long bolts with my spacer

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:04 PM   #22
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
The five long bolts are for the spacer and the 4 long are probably for the plenum. I got the five long bolts with my spacer
Oh okay, 5 longer ones for the spacer and one in the back, but since It already came with bigger plenum bolts I'm not sure what the four are for. Thanks for the quick response
Old 06-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #23
MACE_ENG

You may have been send up BPMI626 instead of BPMMI623. No biggy, it's very likely that you'll have 4 spare M8x160 long bolts This is the only difference between kits

Hope this helps

Kindest Regards,
Steve
Old 06-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #24
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACE_ENG View Post
You may have been send up BPMI626 instead of BPMMI623. No biggy, it's very likely that you'll have 4 spare M8x160 long bolts This is the only difference between kits

Hope this helps

Kindest Regards,
Steve
Oh okay, Thanks Steve! I couldn't believe how bad the shipping was soo thanks again!
Old 06-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #25
MACE_ENG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin's Bee View Post
Oh okay, Thanks Steve! I couldn't believe how bad the shipping was soo thanks again!
Yeah it's not cheap

BUT will be changing very soon though
Old 06-27-2012, 09:39 AM   #26
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by calflan View Post
If you already have the IM installed, you'd need to pull it off to put teh rear bolt in the way the others are talking. No way to angle it in, once the IM is installed down hard.
Look at pulling the fairing that surrounds the windshield wipers. You don't need to remov eit, just take out the black clip in fasteners, enough to raise it so you can access the structure under it. I had to remove the left side of that fairing (it sepeartes from the right side - which is more or less the length of the windshield). Drill a hole large enough for the bolt head to go through, then drop the bolt down into the manifold. Tightening is slow, but it can be done. You already have all assembled so doing it any other way would require more or less full disassembly, including cleaning off the old RTV and putting a new bead down.

I agree with everyone else too, there are only 6 bolts holding the IM down, and they need seal all possible leaks, so leaving one out is not good.

The bolts others have talked about leaving out are, as mentioned, the plenum aft bolt and the bolts holding the rubber fairing that was mounted to the back of the IM (two large bolts).
not saying your way doesn't work and it is definitely thinking outside th box...but it literally takes 15 min to remove the IM and re-install without having to drill holes in the faring/wiper cowl(whatever you wanna call it). since he used the OEM gasket...then RTV won't be an issue. there is a right way and the shortcut way, just sayin. to each there own. good luck
Old 06-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #27
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Rear bolt can be put back in place by using something like a cut gas line hose with a slit cut up the side so it can be removed later.

Slide bolt into gas line so that an inch or two of the bolt sticks through the buttom.. Put it in place on the IM. Put the IM in place...pull off the rubber tube so that bolt falls into place.

Done.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #28
calflan

Drives: 1LT; IBM; 6 Spd Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapisok View Post
not saying your way doesn't work and it is definitely thinking outside th box...but it literally takes 15 min to remove the IM and re-install without having to drill holes in the faring/wiper cowl(whatever you wanna call it). since he used the OEM gasket...then RTV won't be an issue. there is a right way and the shortcut way, just sayin. to each there own. good luck
You're right, given he used 2 ea. OEM gaskets and not the RTV, but if it's already put together with the Permatex (like some of us did ) doing it right would mean pulling all off, cleaning off the permatex already installed and reinstalling all again. Looked into doing all that, but the hole is not a big deal. There are holes in that structure already (not used for anything, just covered up) right next to where I drilled.

In any event, I would definitely NOT leave out the 6th manifold bolt and if can get the 8th plenum bolt in, the OEM obviously felt 8 were needed and there is no sealing at back end of the plenum cover, so best to get the 8th in for a good long term seal.
1LT; Airaid CAI; Flowmaster American Thunder Axelback; Int Floor Lts; RS Spoiler; Radio Controls; Sequential tail lights; Oil Catch Can; VMAX Throttle Body; MACE plenum spacer; Mace manifold insulator[/I]
calflan is offline   Reply With Quote