Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-21-2010, 05:54 PM   #1
adub4185

Drives: 2010 2SS RS, 2023 Camaro ZLE
Send a message via AIM to adub4185
service stabilitrak...

hey guys. i just got done installing pedders coilovers, ss brake lines, bmr trailing arms, and the full pedders alignment kit, but i seem to be having a problem with the stabilitrak. we fired up the car to go for a shot ride and the "service stabilitrak" came on. now, the aignment is way out of wack (im getting it aligned tomorrow), but I'm trying to figure out what could be causing the stabilitrak lights. i read somewhere that there is a system that monitors the steering wheel position and im thinking that the car is so out of alignment currently that that is causing the problem. anyone on here run into any similar problems while installing coilovers?

thanks in advance and i will also be posting my thoughts on the install, the parts, and the end result very soon.
adub4185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:44 AM   #2
adub4185

Bump
Old 03-22-2010, 07:21 PM   #3
Cruz-lo

Drives: 2010 2ss RS
I installed coil overs and no problems here.

But for sure align the car first before you drive it. I did. Fix what you know is wrong first always.

Is the message comming after you drive?

Could also be an issue with your wheel sensors if it happens running and stopped.

Good luck.
Cruz-lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:25 PM   #4
markssylver

Drives: 95 bbb impala ss
maybe when u installed the parts you may have pulled too hard on one of the abs sensor wires and broke it internally like i did when i installed my rear axles
markssylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:31 PM   #5
BLWN SS

Drives: Orange SS/RS W/ White Stripes
I just installed long tube headers and get the same message as well as the T/C and related warning lights are all on. Checked for loose connections and found none! I've been scouring these posts seems like they come on for many reasons but how to fix it?
BLWN SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:06 AM   #6
adub4185

As a follow up, the problem was the steering wheel being out of alignment with the rest of the car. stabilitrak has a sensor that looks at steering position relative to the rest of the moving vehicle. Once the alignment was finished, there were no more problems. Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:29 AM   #7
BLWN SS

Drives: Orange SS/RS W/ White Stripes
Not wanting to jack your thread but we have a problem in common, it just came about from different actions on our parts. It just dawned on me that in order to install headers you need to temporarily disconnect the steering shaft and move it out of the way. It appears that you can only put it back in the same position (or 180* out) but it must have gone back in a fraction off. Will check it later and post the results for anyone interested.
BLWN SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:35 AM   #8
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
good to know.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:01 AM   #9
adub4185

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLWN SS View Post
Not wanting to jack your thread but we have a problem in common, it just came about from different actions on our parts. It just dawned on me that in order to install headers you need to temporarily disconnect the steering shaft and move it out of the way. It appears that you can only put it back in the same position (or 180* out) but it must have gone back in a fraction off. Will check it later and post the results for anyone interested.
no worries on jacking my thread, this is all good information. im just glad that i didnt break any abs wires or anything like that during my install. ill keep what you said in mind when/if I do the header install.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:13 AM   #10
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Quote:
Originally Posted by adub4185 View Post
As a follow up, the problem was the steering wheel being out of alignment with the rest of the car. stabilitrak has a sensor that looks at steering position relative to the rest of the moving vehicle. Once the alignment was finished, there were no more problems. Thanks for the suggestions guys.
How did you get the toe off some much doing the Xa Coil overs?

thanks
mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:47 AM   #11
alex33x

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I did suspension and the same things happened to me, I installed the eibach pro plus kit.

I took it in for alignment but the light didnt go away, so I took it back for alignment with settings I got from the alignment help thread, see if taht fixes my problem if not then I have to take my car to the dealer on monday.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #12
Info@PeddersUSA.com

I ask, because I do not think the alignment can cause he light to go on unless it is potentially very seriously off. and I mean seriously off to the point tires will be wiped out in 100 miles.

mike
dms
Old 03-27-2010, 04:18 PM   #13
adub4185

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
I ask, because I do not think the alignment can cause he light to go on unless it is potentially very seriously off. and I mean seriously off to the point tires will be wiped out in 100 miles.

mike
dms
Well, it was definitely very off once I had everything installed. I mean, the steering wheel was around 45 degrees to the left in order to keep the car straight (probably the reason I got all of the stabilitrak lights). I got a good lesson in suspension dynamics last weekend that I won't soon forget.

This was my first major suspension install (I'm pretty seasoned on other car related installs) so I attribute a lot of the rear alignment issues to mine and my father's lack of suspension knowledge. We know how to wrench on stuff pretty well, but it was a particularly difficult install and the lack of adequate instructions didnt help. I consider the instructions (none were actually included with the kit, so I had to source them here) to be very weak and had no literature on the alignment bolts what so ever. I knew I had to swap the new ones in, but there was nothing in the instructions that outlined the proper procedure. I had to guess at which bolt replaced the stock alignment bolts (thank god that wasnt that hard) and then had to figure out their proper placement (which I obviously messed up). The guy who ended up aligning the vehicle (SoulSpeed in Austin does great work!) said the install looked good and that he just had to work with the alignment bolts a tad. I will add that I purchased the complete front/rear alignment kit and there was nothing on the fact that you have to grind out parts in the front to be able to use the front alignment bolts (we didnt put those in for that reason).

I would say that Pedders makes a quality product, but they should work on their instructions a lot. I realize that they arent geared towards the average DIY'er and should be used as a suplement for professionals, but the utter lack of information on the alignment bolts was a little tough to swallow for $1600 coilovers. I also had no luck contacting anyone with Pedders to talk about the install (I called Rob and I completely understand him not taking my call), but it would have been nice to be able to talk to an experienced person on this. All in all, the install is done and I'm very happy with the parts and the ride quality. I also installed Pedders SS brake lines and BMR trailing arms and both are very nice and went in fairly easy. It can be done, but I caution anyone on taking this on themselves with getting ahold of complete install instructions first and maybe talking to a professional in advance. Finding out that you have to lower the rear subframe to get a bolt in at the last minute is never a fun experience.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:49 PM   #14
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub4185 View Post
Well, it was definitely very off once I had everything installed. I mean, the steering wheel was around 45 degrees to the left in order to keep the car straight (probably the reason I got all of the stabilitrak lights). I got a good lesson in suspension dynamics last weekend that I won't soon forget.

This was my first major suspension install (I'm pretty seasoned on other car related installs) so I attribute a lot of the rear alignment issues to mine and my father's lack of suspension knowledge. We know how to wrench on stuff pretty well, but it was a particularly difficult install and the lack of adequate instructions didnt help. I consider the instructions (none were actually included with the kit, so I had to source them here) to be very weak and had no literature on the alignment bolts what so ever. I knew I had to swap the new ones in, but there was nothing in the instructions that outlined the proper procedure. I had to guess at which bolt replaced the stock alignment bolts (thank god that wasnt that hard) and then had to figure out their proper placement (which I obviously messed up). The guy who ended up aligning the vehicle (SoulSpeed in Austin does great work!) said the install looked good and that he just had to work with the alignment bolts a tad. I will add that I purchased the complete front/rear alignment kit and there was nothing on the fact that you have to grind out parts in the front to be able to use the front alignment bolts (we didnt put those in for that reason).

I would say that Pedders makes a quality product, but they should work on their instructions a lot. I realize that they arent geared towards the average DIY'er and should be used as a suplement for professionals, but the utter lack of information on the alignment bolts was a little tough to swallow for $1600 coilovers. I also had no luck contacting anyone with Pedders to talk about the install (I called Rob and I completely understand him not taking my call), but it would have been nice to be able to talk to an experienced person on this. All in all, the install is done and I'm very happy with the parts and the ride quality. I also installed Pedders SS brake lines and BMR trailing arms and both are very nice and went in fairly easy. It can be done, but I caution anyone on taking this on themselves with getting ahold of complete install instructions first and maybe talking to a professional in advance. Finding out that you have to lower the rear subframe to get a bolt in at the last minute is never a fun experience.
doing a complete track system does not change the toe in the front. It will change the camber, but not enough to have the steering wheel off 45 degrees.

the install sheets that I have made have been written with the DIYer in mind.

So again, I have no idea how you got your toe off so much in the front end.

We have had the install manuals for the Xa coil overs published for almost a year. In order for you to have the steering wheel off 45 degrees, you had to have messed with the toe links, Under no terms should this be messed with. On a Track II, we will disconnect the outer tie rod ends to install the sway bar, but that is it.

Here is the link that has been there since June 2009

http://forums.peddersusa.com/showthread.php?t=757

thanks
mike
dms
mike
dms