Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #15
white ZL1

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...there are many threads on the issue of the S/C coupler noise. It's normal for the Eaton design. Use the search engine to read extensively about it.
That is not the coupler rattling. That certainly sounds like a bearing.
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:19 PM   #16
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...there are many threads on the issue of the S/C coupler noise. It's normal for the Eaton design. Use the search engine to read extensively about it.
I guess if you can throw up the "search" comment... I can throw up the "read the thread" comment.

Great Video OP... This is a problem that a lot of folks using the search engine will find.

I have the exact same problem with 16,500 miles on and my car was built on Day 1 of production ZL1's. Dealer is replacing it now. I really hate to think this is going to be a re-occurring problem. Would be nice to hear from Eaton or GM that a fix is in place.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:53 AM   #17
djnice

Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
You have to take the blower apart and grease the bearing at a regular interval. If the blower isn't on warranty then you can replace the bearing when it goes out.

What about getting sealed bearings?
Old 01-07-2014, 02:30 AM   #18
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Time to take mine in to the dealer. Getting a bit annoying at start up. I wish there was another alternative other than warranty replacement (reoccurring problem) or removing the blower to "grease a damn bearing!
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:31 AM   #19
Fred 16
ZL1 crystal RED

Drives: ZL1 2014
Eaton on site there is a plurality of compressor model, which is on the ZL1
Old 01-07-2014, 03:52 PM   #20
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
Time to take mine in to the dealer. Getting a bit annoying at start up. I wish there was another alternative other than warranty replacement (reoccurring problem) or removing the blower to "grease a damn bearing!
Here's my advice while it's still drivable. Take it in and have them diagnose and order your part. Then take it home and store in YOUR garage until the part gets here. Mine has been parked out in the back lot of the dealership 3 weeks now in crappy weather waiting on a backordered SC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred 16 View Post
Eaton on site there is a plurality of compressor model, which is on the ZL1
Don't quite understand this one... sorry.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:08 PM   #21
Emvici

Drives: 2014 ZL1 White Convertible
Great video Rizzo, you are going to help many people with you good effort. Does anyone know if they corrected this issue with the 2014 model?. Also if you mod the supercharger upper pully and belt, does that void the supercharger warranty?.
Emvici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:27 PM   #22
ZL1-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Here's my advice while it's still drivable. Take it in and have them diagnose and order your part. Then take it home and store in YOUR garage until the part gets here. Mine has been parked out in the back lot of the dealership 3 weeks now in crappy weather waiting on a backordered SC
That's my plan. I have played the wait game before, thanks for the reminder!
Old 01-07-2014, 06:18 PM   #23
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvici View Post
Great video Rizzo, you are going to help many people with you good effort. Does anyone know if they corrected this issue with the 2014 model?. Also if you mod the supercharger upper pully and belt, does that void the supercharger warranty?.
Yes, it's a very helpful video. That's why I placed it at the top of this thread.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336016

Put a pulley on and your SC warranty is definitely gone.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:02 AM   #24
Emvici

Drives: 2014 ZL1 White Convertible
Mlee thank you again for the very helpful info. I really hope Chevy stands behind their product.
Emvici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:03 AM   #25
ZL1-V

Quote:
Mlee thank you again for the very helpful info. I really hope Chevy stands behind their product.
They have so far from what I have read in other posts. They are replacing the units.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:13 AM   #26
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
As Zl1-V said they absolutely stand behind their product and I never had any worries about getting fixed up. Problem is if you mod and swap out to a smaller pulley. Just glad I hadn't done this YET.

I'll continue to track them here. and we will see how this shakes out. Currently car #3535 is the latest one with the problem. Seems all the ones so far are 2012 or half way through 2013. Of course these most likely have the most miles too.