Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 07-18-2017, 09:44 PM   #1317
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 L99 LSA SC Z/LE
Well, a brief explanation of what happened to me on my way back.

The flex fuel kit worked perfectly. I was very pleased. I did an E85 fill-up @ Speedway in Jackson TN, and about 13 miles outside of Memphis, the Aeroforce was reading 0%. I could see the gauge moving from 60% to 0%. Very strange. Car was running ok, but I went ahead and pulled it over.

Unplugged the connector on the sensor, verified everything was still connected, let the car cool.

Started it back up, still 0%. Car was running fine, so I continued home. About 20 miles into Arkansas, the car suddenly started bucking (like a mechanical bull on 7). Luckily I was only 1 mile away from an exit, and pulled into a BP, taking it VERY easy.

I was down to about 5/8th of a tank, so I filled up with 93.

Let it sit for 15 minutes, and started running great. Proceeded home and just filled up with 93 all the way in.

When I got home, decided to review everything. Checked the wire harness (added a single connector to remove the white wire). Check all with an ohm meter to make sure nothing was breaking contact.

Nope, all good, went up to fill up with E85. Still read 0%. After that, I ordered a new sensor from Chevy (Dave from DSX offered to get one, but he was out of town, and I wanted to be certain I had a new sensor now). Got it today -- guess what, bad sensor!

Now reads 53%! I did, however, go ahead and update the connector to the sensor with the one I ordered for the new sensor -- just to be certain, there were no issues:

Sensors side by side (new one with caps):

Connector update:

Wire harness before (I removed the tape so I could see the wires and add the single connector weatherpack):

Wire harness now:

3" longer to give me a bit more room. Note I added a weatherpack single connector for the white wire that goes to pin #40 -- to make it easier for me to remove the harness. I think this would be a good idea for anyone who may need to remove the harness in the future.

Harness and new sensor installed:

Working!

YouTube after new sensor:

Will be taking it for a drive and filling up on full E85! I went ahead and zip tied everything back and validated no leaking fuel @ the hardlines. I will say, getting the flexible hose that goes to the fuel rail off the sensor IS A PAIN, but, with help from my wife (keeping pulling pressure on the sensor), I was able to use a small flat head screw driver to push the spring clamps back - took about 10 minutes, but, I got it off. WOULD NOT want to be doing that on the side of the road ;o)

-Don

Last edited by hammdo; Today at 12:27 PM.
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:51 PM   #1318
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

So, I need to catch up with where I left off after driving to GPI.

Ryan gave it a great run, and after all the heat soaking, here is the dyno (on 58-59% when we did this run -- imagine if it was 75%!):

Notice the #6? That was on pull 6 of the day and right after I fixed the spark plug wire!

Just love GPI and all the folks there. Total class act and they really care.

While up there, they took care of the 'recall' key and seat bolt for me (as you know I did the work, but they were able to get that off my 'nag' list).

But, before I left, I did take a video of the first startup -- you'll see the original sensor worked fine:

Was very exciting -- I was on 93 @ the time with some E85 to start up with. Ran it low, then filled up with 75% before I headed to GPI...

-Don

Last edited by hammdo; Yesterday at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:59 PM   #1319
QUICRNU

Drives: 2010 ABM SS/RS A6
Very strong numbers, sorry you had a sensor go bad! That is frustrating for sure.

I am looking to get some 6's on my next dyno chart!

Build Thread - http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481043
QUICRNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:07 PM   #1320
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Well, ABADZL1 (Mark) kinda was right, I need to get on with HP Tuners. I ordered the Pro version from Dave @ DSX, and its on it way!

I'll be doing a couple of updates that Ryan did in the past, but was not saved with my current tune. I'll also look into turning on the MIL/DTC for the Flex Fuel Sensor (P0178, and P0179). Then update my EGR setting since I don't have that. Looked at an older tune Ryan did for me, and I can see what settings we had, so that should be pretty easy.

After that, concentrate on FORGING ;o)

-Don
Old 07-18-2017, 10:10 PM   #1321
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICRNU View Post
Very strong numbers, sorry you had a sensor go bad! That is frustrating for sure.

I am looking to get some 6's on my next dyno chart!
If you have corn in the area, DO IT. Pumping 40 to 80 RWHP is no joke! Runs cooler, makes power -- and NO RACE GAS/TORCO!

You'd have 600's no problem...

I can say, Dave @ DSX has GREAT customer service. He was really surprised the sensor went -- me too -- since it worked great for over a week and almost 1800 miles... go figure...

-Don
Old Yesterday, 05:03 PM   #1322
QUICRNU

Drives: 2010 ABM SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
If you have corn in the area, DO IT. Pumping 40 to 80 RWHP is no joke! Runs cooler, makes power -- and NO RACE GAS/TORCO!

You'd have 600's no problem...

I can say, Dave @ DSX has GREAT customer service. He was really surprised the sensor went -- me too -- since it worked great for over a week and almost 1800 miles... go figure...

-Don
I appreciate that... I do have E85 close by..... I guess I am going 1 step at a time. Planning the headers just to see what happens, then I am going to turn up the Blower Ratio to 3.14.

40rwhp from the pump is a lot though!

Build Thread - http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481043
QUICRNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM   #1323
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Headers will do you well. Not sure what the diff will be. Mine are 1 7/8 so going from 1 3/4 may net you a decent increase.

Can't wait to see!

Corn though, umm, and it smells good to ;o)

-Don