Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 08:18 AM   #1
302 Wild Mouse

Drives: 69 Z-28.
Before you build it GM, Dont make the same mistake twice...

If you build us another Camaro, I will not buy the car if you dont offer a solid rear axle .

Currently own a 2004 GTO and I will never buy another "muscle car" with independent rear suspension. Bad wheel hop, and NO whole shot!! Radically stiff rear shocks on the GTO are lousy for driving. The poor independent suspension makes the car ride like a go-cart in the rear. The stiff shocks were obviously the attempt to reduce the bad wheel hop - but it doesnt work. It only rides hard.

MY 69 Z was THE car. We all buy these cars to do a little "DragRacing" and at the track the Goat wont hook-up.

Go back to the old style of building a car. Let us choose what options we want so all the cars have their "special" look or options.

When I "ordered" my 69. It was was one of a few that had "deleted" options. I ordered the car with the "front air dam" deleted and the "rear spoiler" deleted. Ordered 410 gears, Vinyl Roof, upgraded interior, delete guages. I never seen another one like it.

If GM is planning on only building 100,000 of these they better make it so we can order one that is as special now, as it was then. IN 69 I recall there were almost 480,000 built. Then they killed the car by running a new ugly body style, and called it a 70 and a half! It was the EDSEL of the 70's.

Build two versions. One with a performance package "solid axle rear end differential" and the other junk independent rear suspension. Otherwise I'll be one of the first generation Z owners, that won't buy the new model.

I leased the GTO with the intention of buying it, if I liked it. I don't, so I will turn it in next year in Oct 2007.

I Will BUY a new Z IF the suspension is right. But if its the same as the GTO. Not interested!!!

Learn from your mistakes GM. Don't take this YOUNG generation for granted by building a car that can't be drag-raced on weekends! Otherwise you will end up with every one you build with poor resale value, just like the overpriced GTO's! AND the Camaro will die again!

GIVE us who know better - what we want! We dont buy cars in AMERICA with big horsepower to ride to church! On SUNDAYS were on our way to the TRACK!

Get it?
Old 10-25-2006, 10:19 AM   #2
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Well, don't plan on seeing a solid rear axle on the new Camaro. It's pretty certain that it'll have an independent rear, about 99.9%.

As for an under selling Camaro, I doubt that will happen. A big reason for the GTO's demise was the styling, or lack there of. Yes, it performed well, and the interior was very well executed, but people couldn't get past the exterior.

Based on reactions from people seeing the concept, GM has a BIG hit on their hands. For those who want to drag race their Camaro's, I'd bet there will be aftermarket companies offering all the necessary hardware.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:32 AM   #3
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
I agree that you will not see the solid rear axel on the camaro at all. The costs associated with designing another camaro with a solid rear axle would probably too high to justify the low demand for this option. They would essentially have to completely re-engineer the rear for this. Not to mention the platform that the Camaro will be built around may or may not even allow for a solid axle.

Who knows, maybe the new platform will work well with the IRS and will not have the same problems that were prevelant in the GTO
Old 10-25-2006, 01:05 PM   #4
302 Wild Mouse

Drives: 69 Z-28.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Well, don't plan on seeing a solid rear axle on the new Camaro. It's pretty certain that it'll have an independent rear, about 99.9%.

As for an under selling Camaro, I doubt that will happen. A big reason for the GTO's demise was the styling, or lack there of. Yes, it performed well, and the interior was very well executed, but people couldn't get past the exterior.

Based on reactions from people seeing the concept, GM has a BIG hit on their hands. For those who want to drag race their Camaro's, I'd bet there will be aftermarket companies offering all the necessary hardware.

Interior is nice but head room is bad. Pedal postions are bad. Unless youve owned both... you cant under stand.

As far as aftermarket companies having traction cures... forget it. There is nothing good available for GTO'S. Dont count on it for Camaros.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:43 PM   #5
Casull

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Wild Mouse View Post
Interior is nice but head room is bad. Pedal postions are bad. Unless youve owned both... you cant under stand.

As far as aftermarket companies having traction cures... forget it. There is nothing good available for GTO'S. Dont count on it for Camaros.
I don't think that is necessarily true.... aftermarket companies are going to go where the money is. The GTOs did not sell in large numbers, so it just wouldn't make sense for them to spend the money developing them.

The Camaro will inevitably sell 100,000+ per year therefore there will be a much larger customer base for the aftermarket companies and thus a much greater propensity for profit.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:48 PM   #6
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
1. More than one person here has heard they are working on the headroom.
2. Pedal postions being bad? First I've heard of it. Moose, you sat in it. How was the pedal position?
3. I guarantee you aftermarket companies will have a cure for wheel hop. How can I put this... You're talking about the 5th Gen Camaro, not a redesigned foreign car. There's nothing good for GTO's for a reason. I'm not saying they are crappy. I like the design, but have even heard a GM employee say, "What the hell were they thinking when they called it a GTO???" GTO's never caught on because it wasn't a GTO...It was a rebadged car. GM already has numerous companies knocking at their doors begging to be an aftermarket company on the 5th Gen. Do you really think that this could be a potential problem GM hasn't thought about? I'm not worried about it. And, I don't know about others, but I'm not going to spinning my tires so much that I have to buy new treads every 6 months. I'll take the IRS in a heartbeat.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:53 PM   #7
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Moose, you sat in it. How was the pedal position?
Pedal position in the concept not an issue, nor was the headroom. You would think headroom would be from the looks of it, but I'm 5'11" and fit just fine. Also, Scott, who is about 6' if not taller, was sitting in it and he seemed OK too.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:57 PM   #8
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Good deal. I've seen him sit in it and it looks like there's plent of room. He's about my height, maybe an inch shorter. So, that doesn't appear to be a problem then!
Old 10-25-2006, 02:24 PM   #9
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
What is it they say, oh yeah, “Opinions are like @$$ holes everyone has one"… I have never witnessed so much leaping before learning…

Last edited by KILLER74Z28; 10-25-2006 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:43 PM   #10
Casull

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post
What is it they say, oh yeah, “Opinions are like @$$ holes everyone has one"… I have never witnessed so much leaping before learning…
Man, you are all about criticizing peoples posts today.......
Old 10-25-2006, 06:01 PM   #11
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casull View Post
Man, you are all about criticizing peoples posts today.......
I’m sorry Cas, I must have put my “Negative Nancy” pants on today. I was not criticizing this thread, all I am saying is, everyone has an opinion and there are a lot of people screaming “I won’t buy it if” when there is not even a production Camaro with test data. No one knows what the performance numbers are going to be so in "my opinion", I would say it is pretty close-minded to be screaming “I won't buy it if” this early in the game.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:42 PM   #12
camaro2009
camaro2009

Drives: 2013 ZL-1 AGM 6M #0369
Send a message via Yahoo to camaro2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post
I’m sorry Cas, I must have put my “Negative Nancy” pants on today. I was not criticizing this thread, all I am saying is, everyone has an opinion and there are a lot of people screaming “I won’t buy it if” when there is not even a production Camaro with test data. No one knows what the performance numbers are going to be so in "my opinion", I would say it is pretty close-minded to be screaming “I won't buy it if” this early in the game.
I would have to agree with you here, until I see some concrete performance specs on paper from a proven testing ground with the "production model" Camaro, I wont get my panties in a wad either. But I do appreciate the opinions about the GTO they actually tend to make me want to think twice before getting one for my wife. I really like that 6.0 400HP # on the window sticker, my dealer here is having a big sale starting the 26th of October, and was seriously gonna give it a hard look, now I will know exactly what to look for. thanks for sharing.
1974 Camaro Type LT
1995 Camaro Plum V-6 Auto 80k original miles

Traded the '10 SS for the BAD ASS 2013 ZL-1 AGM ,M-6 Once again the thanks go out to my wonderful wife and a chance encounter while servicing my Duramax!! Destiny......nope...FATE
Old 10-25-2006, 07:30 PM   #13
alleykt123
err… MEOW!

Drives: 2005 GTO
Send a message via AIM to alleykt123 Send a message via Yahoo to alleykt123
Quote:
A big reason for the GTO's demise was the styling, or lack there of. Yes, it performed well, and the interior was very well executed, but people couldn't get past the exterior.
True enough about the exterior, but I didn't buy mine based on looks (and since I spend my time IN the car, the interior works well for me). I ordered a GTO based on a test drive performed at an AutoShow in Motion event. The way I was able to thrash it around the course told me that this vehicle would be what I wanted to drive in the local twisties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
I like the design, but have even heard a GM employee say, "What the hell were they thinking when they called it a GTO???" GTO's never caught on because it wasn't a GTO...It was a rebadged car.
Yes - it was a rebadged Holden Monaro, and I'm more than happy to point this out to anyone who doesn't know that the GTO is an Australian import (it says inside the driver's door "MFD BY HOLDEN LTD"). I've always been a bow-tie girl and not a fan of Pontiac, so the fact that it was rebadged, redesigned Holden was another selling point for me. (Wouldn't it be cool if GM could bring the Ute design back as the El Camino? )

Quote:
You would think headroom would be [poor] from the looks of it, but I'm 5'11" and fit just fine. Also, Scott, who is about 6' if not taller, was sitting in it and he seemed OK too.
I'm glad to hear about this - I'm 5'10" and hate the idea of having my head too close to the roof.

Geez - I can't wait for this car to be built!!!

Old 10-25-2006, 09:05 PM   #14
z28camaro2471
C5 Member #227

Drives: Camaros
The Vette has an IRS....z06....505hp...no problems!! Granted it's not the same setup...but I'm sure the new Camaro will be just fine.

Closed Thread