Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-10-2009, 04:47 PM   #1
t3chfr3ak

Drives: mazda 6
I want to lower just the front suspension

I was wondering if anyone can help me with something. I want to drop just the front end to give it more of a slant. Would doing that effect performace of the cars driveability in any way? Thanks
t3chfr3ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
it could change it some but not alot, as long as the camber and toe are adjusted to compensate for the angle change i cant see many complications
Old 01-11-2009, 10:50 AM   #3
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
doing just the front may create more of an issue than you think. The concerns are balance. Dropping the front just alittle, means new coils. Nearly all drop coils out there will have a higher spring rate, thus changing the spring balance. Not having these cars yet to play with, we are not sure of how it will handle.

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
doing just the front may create more of an issue than you think. The concerns are balance. Dropping the front just alittle, means new coils. Nearly all drop coils out there will have a higher spring rate, thus changing the spring balance. Not having these cars yet to play with, we are not sure of how it will handle.

mike
dms
Will the drop coils from Pedders on all 4 corners and an alignment be sufficient to lower the car safetly without any concerns after a few hundred miles?

****Thanks to Silver Streak for the pic I used to make this sig****
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:17 PM   #5
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackZbandit View Post
Will the drop coils from Pedders on all 4 corners and an alignment be sufficient to lower the car safetly without any concerns after a few hundred miles?
Our Pedders coils do not "slam" any vehicle. There will be no issues using our coils

mike
dms
Old 01-11-2009, 08:59 PM   #6
blackZbandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
Our Pedders coils do not "slam" any vehicle. There will be no issues using our coils

mike
dms
Thanks alot! I've been wanting an answer to that question for weeks! I just want to lower my car about an inch without having to buy full coil overs but everything I've read online has led me to believe that just drop coils and an alignment will cause my other suspension components to eventually fail... glad to finally hear otherwise straight from the source! Would you suggest I add the bushings you offer also or would they be unecessary for a simple drop?

Old 01-11-2009, 09:27 PM   #7
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
Pedders springs are designed to be driven every day, i see some cars that have other brands that lower a car to the ground, causing a number of problems, from uncomfortable ride, to scrapping to much
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:01 PM   #8
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackZbandit View Post
Thanks alot! I've been wanting an answer to that question for weeks! I just want to lower my car about an inch without having to buy full coil overs but everything I've read online has led me to believe that just drop coils and an alignment will cause my other suspension components to eventually fail... glad to finally hear otherwise straight from the source! Would you suggest I add the bushings you offer also or would they be unecessary for a simple drop?
I think the Street 1 package which includes the front radius rod, rar xmember, and rear diff bushings will be extremely complementary to your Camaro. These are the 3 weak links in the Zeta platform

mike
dms
Old 01-11-2009, 10:29 PM   #9
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
I hope it doesn't cause much of an issue because I want to lower the front of my car too.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:01 PM   #10
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Even on the Camaro, you will find the coils will be pretty weak. They will not be like the late model Camaros and TA,s that allowed less than 1/2 inch front travel. You will have a fully active suspension. The travel, however, will be less than the G8, which is a great thing!. this is the difference between Holden design and USA input and control. However, you will find, just like Dale E. Jr. found, there will be way too much looseness and body role in the stock designs. That is good for us because we can fix what they could not do!! LOL

mike
dms
Old 01-11-2009, 11:10 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Now when you say such things...like "too much body roll", etc...that's coming from a suspension fanatic, right? (who's naturally apt to want better than the average joe would)

You don't think the car handles like a wet noodle stock, right?
Old 01-11-2009, 11:20 PM   #12
blackZbandit

Thanks alot Mike, I took a look at the site and drop coils + the Street I package seem to be the way to go. 2 more questions though: do you guys have a price for your drop coils yet and approximately how much will they lower the car?

Old 01-11-2009, 11:48 PM   #13
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Now when you say such things...like "too much body roll", etc...that's coming from a suspension fanatic, right? (who's naturally apt to want better than the average joe would)

You don't think the car handles like a wet noodle stock, right?
Somewhere there is an interview with Dqle E. Jr. He complained nicely of coarse, about the soft suspension and excess body role.

We know what GM is doing with the Camaro suspension, as compared to the G8. So with that said, we pretty much know how the Camaro will handle and feel. But of coarse, once they are out, we will be able to do comparisons. Pedders USA is buying a Camaro. So we will be able to play and play hard. We will not be the only ones. Judging by the amount of emails, calls, and such from future Camaro guys, I can tell you this ride is going to be road hard by thousands.
mike
dms
Old 01-12-2009, 12:36 AM   #14
t3chfr3ak

Drives: mazda 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
I hope it doesn't cause much of an issue because I want to lower the front of my car too.
Yeah I like you sig pic. That just what I had in mind.
t3chfr3ak is offline   Reply With Quote