Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

View Poll Results: Which options do you want to see in the Camaro?
CVT - Continuously Variable Transmission 3 4.69%
SMT - Sequential Manual Transmission (automated manual) 5 7.81%
DSG - Dual Sequential Gearbox (two SMTs that alternate for way fast shifts) 22 34.38%
Traditional automatic 10 15.63%
Manual transmission 36 56.25%
Paddle shifters 27 42.19%
+/- buttons on the stick 3 4.69%
+/- positions for the stick 8 12.50%
Not-yet-invented H-pattern shift gate for automatics 6 9.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2008, 06:45 AM   #1
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Cool Transmissions: And Now For Something Completely Different!

I've noticed that the transmission threads here are redundant and repetitive, redundantly repeating over and over and over and over, like Stewie saying "Mom! Mom! Mom! Mom! Mom! Mom! Mom! Mom! Mama! Mama! Mama! Mama! Ma! Ma! Ma! Ma!" until Lois snaps, like a%^!ou&qo!@jg^n-0

Sorry, sorry, the folks responsibile for that have been sacked...

I noticed nobody has mentioned the CVT. That's probably because it would be a terrible choice for the Camaro. So, here's The Big Poll (hey Beavis, he said "Big Pole")...

CVT: Continuously Variable Transmission - no gears, just go.

SMT: Manual tranmission operated by a computer except when the driver takes control

DSG: Two SMTs, one with odd-numbered gears, one with even; the computer pre-shifts the inactive one and is ready to dump the clutch within a few milliseconds of the active one being declutched.

Traditional automatic: The auto we all know and love, with its torque converter and such.

Manual: The manual trannsmission we all know and love, with it's clutch pedal that's fun except when it's annoying.

Paddle shifters: Mounted on the steering wheel.

"+/-" buttons on the stick: Require you to remove your hand from the steering wheel, but no chance of accidentally bumping them while steering

"+/-" positions for the shifter: A little more fun than buttons on the stick.

Not yet invented manual-shift-gate style H pattern for SMT/DSG/Auto: Ought to be fun and allow you to go straight to the gear you want.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:38 AM   #2
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Ya' know; I like the transmission type that was in the last M3 model. It was like a manual transmission without a clutch pedal. I think it was something like the SMT but I don't know for sure.

I'm planning on a manual transmission regardless, but this is a pretty cool poll.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:54 AM   #3
Dan

Drives: 2004 GTO
It is pretty much a given what transmissions will be used so whats the point of this poll?
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:57 AM   #4
theholycow

According to wikipedia, 2000-2006 M3 had a SMT (I think they called it a DCT) and 2007-current has a DSG (which, again they had a different name for, but this poll is about technologies, not marketing/trademark law).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
It is pretty much a given what transmissions will be used so whats the point of this poll?
Just curious what people think. There's definitely a lot of interest in this type of discussion, based on the plethora of threads and polls about it, but none had a poll with a decent set of options.
Quote:
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
Old 04-25-2008, 11:43 AM   #5
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
I don't believe anyone has figured out how to build a CVT that can handle more than about 200 ft/lbs. So I sure hope they don't/can't use one in the Camaro.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:21 PM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
According to wikipedia, 2000-2006 M3 had a SMT (I think they called it a DCT) and 2007-current has a DSG (which, again they had a different name for, but this poll is about technologies, not marketing/trademark law).

Thanks That's something I think I would want in this car opposed to a straight-up auto'.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 04-25-2008, 02:24 PM   #7
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I voted for everything just because I love seeing GM innovate.

I'm very excited about the paddle shifters if they make it to production.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:28 PM   #8
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
what about an automatic with a manual valve body? (basically the H-pattern type you are talking about, only it doesnt go in an h-pattern just a regular inline pattern only you select the gear you want to be in and you have to downshift and upshift as it wont do it automatically)
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:44 PM   #9
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
what about an automatic with a manual valve body? (basically the H-pattern type you are talking about, only it doesnt go in an h-pattern just a regular inline pattern only you select the gear you want to be in and you have to downshift and upshift as it wont do it automatically)
That sounds cool and all, but if you have to shift manually, why not just have a manual? Well, on second thought, that's a good choice. I think what I'm trying to say is that I'd prefer a transmission that had a mechanically connected gearset so there was less loss and more power applied to the rear wheels. I'm down for whatever way makes a quicker car

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 04-25-2008, 02:44 PM   #10
theholycow

Interesting idea, but why would anyone want that on a stock production vehicle? I've heard of doing it as a modification. Is it difficult/expensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
That sounds cool and all, but if you have to shift manually, why not just have a manual?
Torque converter, if you like that sort of thing. I like it in a truck, not so much in a car.

Quote:
I'd prefer a transmission that had a mechanically connected gearset so there was less loss and more power applied to the rear wheels. I'm down for whatever way makes a quicker car
DSG meets your requirement and is faster than manual.
Quote:
Old 04-25-2008, 03:15 PM   #11
radz28
Petro-sexual

Yeah; you're right. I have a big stall in my Z28 and once the 'verter locks up, it feels nice and tight.

My vote is for the DSG then

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 04-25-2008, 03:37 PM   #12
SSideways

Drives: 99 Chevy Camaro
How about the not yet invented, highly unlikely hybrid? Imagine a 6sp manual with an extra gear that allows the computer to control it like a DSG with paddle shifters. In the mood to roll rears, got that covered, in stop and go traffic, got that covered, on a windy road in the italian alps, got that covered too. :party0048:
SSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:48 PM   #13
theholycow

I like it! It could probably be done with the SMT, just add a common hydraulic clutch pedal. The DSG might be more difficult; with two clutches, either you'd need two pedals, or the pedal would only be an electronic control attached to the computer... Or maybe it could just be hooked up to ONE of the two clutches, only for use when launching from a stop in 1st gear.

However, if all you're looking for is the excitement of dumping the clutch, VW's DSG offers a "Launch control" function. Press a button, hold the brake and the gas, and when you get off the brake the computer dumps the clutch and lets you burn rubber.
Quote:
Old 04-25-2008, 05:25 PM   #14
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I like it! It could probably be done with the SMT, just add a common hydraulic clutch pedal. The DSG might be more difficult; with two clutches, either you'd need two pedals, or the pedal would only be an electronic control attached to the computer... Or maybe it could just be hooked up to ONE of the two clutches, only for use when launching from a stop in 1st gear.

However, if all you're looking for is the excitement of dumping the clutch, VW's DSG offers a "Launch control" function. Press a button, hold the brake and the gas, and when you get off the brake the computer dumps the clutch and lets you burn rubber.
OK; that's what I'm talking aboot!!! I'd take that!!!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"