Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 02-10-2013, 05:33 AM   #1
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
First oil change.

So I will be taking her in for her first oil change. First one free at the dealer. What should I expect?

Do the SS's come with synthetic from the factory? If not, should I have them put it in?

Also, I have a few minor issues, the worst being the blower motor making a chirping noise on low speed heat. Someone already told me it was the blades of the fan expanding and rubbing...do I need to call ahead to give them a heads up for the issues, or just bring it in and tell them then?

Any advice is appreciated.

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:37 AM   #2
NoSyT
It's a Three Six, Vee Six

Drives: '12 AGM 2LT/RS & '14 Silverado LTZ
Yes, the SS comes with synthetic from the factory. It might not hurt to remind them to put synthetic in.

Don't bother with a heads up on the "chirping" fan. They will want to hear/see it for themselves anyway.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:38 AM   #3
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Do not let them put in conventional oil for your SS. It should be full synthetic. I asked my dealership if they are using synthetic or conventional and they had to ask the tech. Typically I do my own oil changes, but the first one was free so how can you turn it down.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
i would call ahead as that is in no way part of a oil change tearing the dash open to deal with a fan blade clearance issue just to make a tentative appointment to get it fixed........The price of oil changes are like 60-70$ by the way as they are synthetic or at least 50/50
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #5
Apex Paul

Drives: Wagon Queen Family Truckster
Changed my oil yesterday, $65 for 10 quarts (of course I have a bit left) of Mobil1 synthetic and a Mobil1 filter.
Apex Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #6
Caspers2SSRS
Caspers2SSRS

Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYDLIFECRISIS View Post
So I will be taking her in for her first oil change. First one free at the dealer. What should I expect?

Do the SS's come with synthetic from the factory? If not, should I have them put it in?

Also, I have a few minor issues, the worst being the blower motor making a chirping noise on low speed heat. Someone already told me it was the blades of the fan expanding and rubbing...do I need to call ahead to give them a heads up for the issues, or just bring it in and tell them then?

Any advice is appreciated.
Quote:

From the 2012 owners manual: Use only engine oil licensed to the dexos1 specfication, or equivalent, of
the proper SAE viscosity grade. ACDelco dexos1 Synthetic Blend is
recommended. See
Engine Oil on page 1013.
A full synthetic isn't a must in 2012's. Save a few bucks and use the recommended blend.
Caspers2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #7
Mohamed Sharaf
passionate

Drives: 2012 IOM 2LT/RS
Send a message via MSN to Mohamed Sharaf
What about V6? would a full Synthetic be better?
Old 02-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #8
06_warrior

Drives: 2012 1SS LS3 M6 black on black :)
When i did my first oil change on my 1LT i bought full synthetic and let the dealership change the oil and found the mechanic scratched my drivers door and rear quarter. I traded that car shortly after for my SS and i change my own oil from now on. I don't trust these bozo's to do a simple oil change.
06_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #9
mntgome1

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS/RS
Before I head to the dealer I write "Do Not Wash My Vehicle, Please Use Full Synthetic Mobil 1" on blank paper (two copies) with a sharpie. When I get out the car in the service bay I tape one to the top of my Edelbrock SC and I tape the other to the Steering wheel..... Excessive yeah I know but guess what.... I have never had a problem.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohamed Sharaf View Post
What about V6? would a full Synthetic be better?
in a word, no. look at it this way. the biggest reason engines last as long as they do now has almost nothing to do with oil. oil is important, but the real reason (and ironically, we can thank the government for this) is emissions and FE standards. that may sound odd, but in modern fuel injected cars with strict emission requirements virtually all the fuel (probably more than 99%) that enters the combustion chamber gets burned. that may sound insignificant, but in the past with carburetor motors whenever you'd stomp on the gas it pretty much just dumped fuel into the cylinders. a good bit of that would never get burned. you ever seen what gasoline does to oil? it breaks it down, and that would essentially happen in the cylinders. but now, you could probably tear down a modern motor with 200k miles on it and still be able to see the original scoring. basically, for a properly maintained modern motor the oil film will never break down, the internal parts will never come into contact, and will last damn near forever.

the best, and really the only, reason to use what the manufacture recommend is to maintain the accuracy of the oil life monitoring system. it's calibrated for DEXOS synthetic blend oil. using a full synthetic will have you changing it more often than it needs to be. using a lesser oil will have you driving too far between changes.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #11
Frid

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I've always used full synthetic in all of my vehicles. But once you go with it, you don't want to go back to the cheap stuff.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #12
tortop45

Drives: 2ss
Mobil 1 fully synthetic is the only oil to put in your camaro,it even tells you on the oil filler cap.thats what they put in them from the factory.Don,t lisen to any body who try,s to get you to put some cheep oil in it WILL damage it..
tortop45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #13
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortop45 View Post
Mobil 1 fully synthetic is the only oil to put in your camaro,it even tells you on the oil filler cap.thats what they put in them from the factory.Don,t lisen to any body who try,s to get you to put some cheep oil in it WILL damage it..
lol, no it won't. the better the oil the longer between changes. that's really about it. the camaro would run just fine on dino oil with no damage ever................so long as you change it more often. if you were to use dino oil and go by the (average) 6500-7500 miles the OLM will call for then you would probably damage your motor. but even that's a maybe. if you don't dog it or do a lot of city driving it could very well last that long.

personally, I like the dexos and only changing my oil every 10 months or so. but lesser oils wont damage the car.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #14
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
I will be tracking my 1LE and apparently the 13's SS's now come with Dexos rather the full synthetic.I changed over to mobil 1
cornerspeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote