Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
iCamaro

Drives: 2012 LT RS Camaro
How to retain RS front badge on new grille

I just ordered a new grille and I want to keep my RS badge on the front drivers side. What is the best way to attach it to this mess grille?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  84.6 KB

Last edited by iCamaro; 01-30-2013 at 02:47 PM.
iCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
iKeablr

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 2011 RS 1LT
3M adhesive I say is the best. That is how I attached my RS badge on my new grille. Still going strong since August.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
iCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKeablr View Post
3M adhesive I say is the best. That is how I attached my RS badge on my new grille. Still going strong since August.
That was my first thought too, but didn't know if it would really hold up in the wind and rain while driving.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
iKeablr

Mine is holding up good. I have been through freezing temperatures, rain, snow, and heavy winds. Has not budged and does not feel like it will.

If I am not mistaken the RS badge is originally on the car with a 3M adhesive only no screws, just like the chevy badge on the rear trunk panel, and the words CAMARO on the sides. You should have no worries.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
iCamaro

Awesome, did you use the original badge that was on the front of the car?
Old 01-30-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
iKeablr

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCamaro View Post
Awesome, did you use the original badge that was on the front of the car?
Yes I did. I was looking at prices for a new badge with the adhesive and I wasn't going to just buy a new one, when it only needed an adhesive backing. Just make sure when you apply the badge on a clean surface.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
iCamaro

Great, one more question. Did you apply yours to mesh like I'm going to? I was thinking I'm going to have to put 3M on the badge attach to the mesh and since it has holes take another strip of adhesive and apply on the other side. Just like sandwiching the mesh between to strips.

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-30-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
Leem12

Drives: 2012 Chevy Camaro (RS)
How do you get the emblems off?
Once there off u jus stick them back on?

Camaro Cruising
Leem12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #9
iKeablr

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCamaro View Post
Great, one more question. Did you apply yours to mesh like I'm going to? I was thinking I'm going to have to put 3M on the badge attach to the mesh and since it has holes take another strip of adhesive and apply on the other side. Just like sandwiching the mesh between to strips.

Thanks for your help!
Ahh, I see if you put it on the mesh you can try to do the method you spoke of, it would hold better than just one side, because you do it to one side the adhesive will sure to get dirt and fall off. I was thinking that you were going to apply it on the thicker chrome bar of the grill. Just make sure when you go with the sandwich method you apply enough pressure to hold them together well, and check the emblem ever so often to see if it will budge. If it budges then you have a problem. Like to see the finished product.

EDIT: @Leem12
What I did to take off the emblem was used a heat gun applied enough heat to make it much easier to pry off the bracket. But if you use a heat gun don't apply too much heat as you can deform the emblem. I did that when removing my rear chevy badge, it got deformed. Had to junk it. And yes once you take them off you can just stick them back on with a new adhesive. Fairly simple if you have the right tools.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #10
iCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKeablr View Post
Ahh, I see if you put it on the mesh you can try to do the method you spoke of, it would hold better than just one side, because you do it to one side the adhesive will sure to get dirt and fall off. I was thinking that you were going to apply it on the thicker chrome bar of the grill. Just make sure when you go with the sandwich method you apply enough pressure to hold them together well, and check the emblem ever so often to see if it will budge. If it budges then you have a problem. Like to see the finished product.

EDIT: @Leem12
What I did to take off the emblem was used a heat gun applied enough heat to make it much easier to pry off the bracket. But if you use a heat gun don't apply too much heat as you can deform the emblem. I did that when removing my rear chevy badge, it got deformed. Had to junk it. And yes once you take them off you can just stick them back on with a new adhesive. Fairly simple if you have the right tools.

I didn't realized the bracket was only attached to the badge with adhesive. I thought I was going to have to cut and sand. That's good news!