Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-19-2016, 01:12 PM   #1
Symone

Drives: 2010 3.6 V6 2LT RS
How do I replace purge solenoid 2010 v6

There seems to be a lot of different answers to this
Drop fuel tank
Drop fuel tank and rear end
Put your hand up and replace
This is a 2010 v6 and I have cel code on dash ,I have used a scantool and it says purge soleniod and have got replacement part but just need some clarification on how to remove and replace myself .
I am in UK so no dealers ,i do have a pit to do this cheers Simon
This does not effect running just a annoying light and want to do remote start

Last edited by Symone; 01-19-2016 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Adding text
Symone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:56 PM   #2
redleader
redleader

Drives: 2010
try the UK forum
a few Camaro engineers on there :-)
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:45 PM   #3
JJPlace1

Drives: 2010 2LT Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symone View Post
Drop fuel tank
This is a 2010 v6 and I have cel code on dash ,I have used a scantool and it says purge soleniod and have got replacement part but just need some clarification on how to remove and replace myself .
Purge solenoid is located under the hood but the vent solenoid is located over the differential.
JJPlace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:49 PM   #4
JJPlace1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symone View Post
Drop fuel tank
If its the vent solenoid , I believe code P0449 I was able to replace mine by removing the right rear wheel and slowly replacing the vent solenoid without having to drop the rear end assy . It can be done . You only have a small space to be able to remove but it can be done .
Old 01-19-2016, 05:19 PM   #5
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJPlace1 View Post
If its the vent solenoid , I believe code P0449 I was able to replace mine by removing the right rear wheel and slowly replacing the vent solenoid without having to drop the rear end assy . It can be done . You only have a small space to be able to remove but it can be done .
Purge solenoid is under the hood on the rear passenger valve cover, easy change.
Please get us the code.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:21 PM   #6
TooCool5

Quote:
If this were the case I never heard of it, dealers have to lower the sub frame, then the tank. I hope you are right, then we have a work around on this pesky problem.
Got any pics?
Old 01-19-2016, 06:01 PM   #7
CamaroSS sleeper

Drives: Sleeper_NOT
Quote:
Purge solenoid is located under the hood but the vent solenoid is located over the differential.

This ^^

if its the Vent solenoid. the rear end must come out.
I don't know how its possible to do it by removing the tire.
and if its worth the trouble...
I mean this vent valve is really crammed next the carbon canister with 1 bolt and a pain in the ass plastic clip that holds it together plus two hoses.

it took me 2 hours to swap it, but I'm very familiar with this car.
if you are mechanically inclined there is no reason you cannot do this on your driveway with some basic tools a jack and two towers.

CamaroSS sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:29 PM   #8
JJPlace1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSS sleeper View Post
This ^^

if its the Vent solenoid. the rear end must come out.
I don't know how its possible to do it by removing the tire.
and if its worth the trouble...
I mean this vent valve is really crammed next the carbon canister with 1 bolt and a pain in the ass plastic clip that holds it together plus two hoses.

it took me 2 hours to swap it, but I'm very familiar with this car.
if you are mechanically inclined there is no reason you cannot do this on your driveway with some basic tools a jack and two towers.

I did mine without removing the rear end assy. It can be done but you must be patient and be able to work in very tight spaces . I ordered the 19329627-solenoid off of ebay from a FL Chevy dealer and installed it myself ( It was sealed in a genuine AC Delco bag ) . I was a mechanic for 30 and some odd years and worked on diesel powered transport refrigeration units and they pack lots of things in VERY SMALL places .All I did was remove the right rear tire in my garage put it up on jackstands and threw and old towel over the rotor/ caliper assy. You can see the vent solenoid and you will need to slide under and snake your hands up to and loosen and slide the clamps out of the way and you may curse a few times like I did but I did finish it and cleared the P0449 code and I only replaced the vent solenoid. It did take me about 3-4 hrs. but I was in no hurry . I did it about 2 mos. ago and still running like a champ ! It may have been easier to drop everything but I did not want to do that if I did not have to ( and I did not have to ! )
Old 01-19-2016, 07:45 PM   #9
JJPlace1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
If this were the case I never heard of it, dealers have to lower the sub frame, then the tank. I hope you are right, then we have a work around on this pesky problem.
Got any pics?
Yes , I did remove mine without dropping the rear end . But like I said earlier it is a tight spot and you will need patience . It looks like the vent solenoid will not fit through the opening but it will . The hardest part was getting the solenoid off the tab it is slid on but it can be done !
Old 01-20-2016, 10:43 AM   #10
TooCool5

Quote:
Yes , I did remove mine without dropping the rear end . But like I said earlier it is a tight spot and you will need patience . It looks like the vent solenoid will not fit through the opening but it will . The hardest part was getting the solenoid off the tab it is slid on but it can be done !
OK I believe you, it can be done with skill and a little patience. 3-4 hrs is a long time on your back, but may be worth it.
I heard if you drop the sub frame you then need an alignment.

Important to note: The OP is talking about the purge solenoid.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:54 AM   #11
JJPlace1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
OK I believe you, it can be done with skill and a little patience. 3-4 hrs is a long time on your back, but may be worth it.
I heard if you drop the sub frame you then need an alignment.

Important to note: The OP is talking about the purge solenoid.
Most of my time was sitting and propped on the towel I put over the rotor / caliper assy. with my arms snaked in to the valve . I wanted to see if it could be done without having to drop the rear end and avoid the possible alignment and it worked . It probably did take me a little longer than if I had dropped the rear assy. but this way nothing was disturbed except the valve assy. I was not in a hurry to get it done . But I will say again it is a tight area to work in !
Old 01-21-2016, 11:38 AM   #12
TooCool5

Quote:
Most of my time was sitting and propped on the towel I put over the rotor / caliper assy. with my arms snaked in to the valve . I wanted to see if it could be done without having to drop the rear end and avoid the possible alignment and it worked . It probably did take me a little longer than if I had dropped the rear assy. but this way nothing was disturbed except the valve assy. I was not in a hurry to get it done . But I will say again it is a tight area to work in !
Nice, you must be a mechanical Houdini. Did you loosen the tank straps at all to get a little more space to work?
Old 01-25-2016, 06:36 AM   #13
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
What is the symptoms of having a bad purge or vent sylenoid?
I have a cel that comes off and on and the power is serverely reduced regardless if the cel is on or off. Its hit or miss if I get full power out of my LLT. Was convinced it was the chains but curious if it may be something else
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:44 AM   #14
TooCool5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
What is the symptoms of having a bad purge or vent sylenoid?
I have a cel that comes off and on and the power is serverely reduced regardless if the cel is on or off. Its hit or miss if I get full power out of my LLT. Was convinced it was the chains but curious if it may be something else
See if there are any pending codes. I think the vent code is mentioned above P0449.

Tags
cel, emission, p0449, purge, solenoid