Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 08-06-2008, 09:41 PM   #15
littlecammi

Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
However...none of that really matters.
Mustang pricing. THAT's what matters.

--IRS costs were more or less absorbed by the Commodore, and G8, etc.
--6-speed is used freakin' everywhere...
--Rims cost can be absorbed; though there's no specific difference other than "more". For all we know, it could be $1 more...

You will probably be surprised to find an SS Camaro priced very near a comparably-equipped Mustang.
IRS development costs may have been ammortized on other vehicles unles a version was specially developed for the Camaro. But the components and assembly labor still cost more for a complex IRS than the straight axle.

6-speed Tremec is used in Viper, 'vette, GT500 (no other Mustangs). It costs substantially more than the 5-speed Tremec TR3650 in the Mustang GT. Supply of the 6-speed Tremec was so limited that Dodge released the 2008 SRT8 Challenger with only a 5-speed auto and no manual trans at all.

18" polished aluminum wheels are a $925 option on the Mustang GT premium. Don't tell me that 20" wheels on the Camaro will only cost $1 more than the standard 17" rims on the Mustang GT.

Regarding Mustang GT pricing, please read my previous post. Then guess again.
littlecammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:58 PM   #16
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Quote:
However...none of that really matters.
Mustang pricing. THAT's what matters.

--IRS costs were more or less absorbed by the Commodore, and G8, etc.
--6-speed is used freakin' everywhere...
--Rims cost can be absorbed; though there's no specific difference other than "more". For all we know, it could be $1 more...

The Challenger is rudely overpriced.
The SVT Cobra was produced in small numbers if I'm not mistaken, correct?

You will probably be surprised to find an SS Camaro priced very near a comparably-equipped Mustang.

Exactly, pretty sure the rustangs prices are going to have an increase, thus the camaro is going to be priced heavily based on the stang, think about it

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:08 PM   #17
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by bret03 View Post
John Fitzpatrick:
"When pricing is announced later this year, you'll find that our price is competitive with comparable Mustangs and Challengers."
Wait, so...according to that, we can expect prices anywhere from 28-46k? Well, thank god THAT got cleared up...

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:35 PM   #18
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecammi View Post
What does Mustang charge for the options that are in the 2SS Camaro package?
$2000 upgrade for premium GT pkg to get leather seats (+ 6-disc CD + 17" painted rims)
$1295 for Shaker 1000 audio option (vs Camaro's Boston Acoustics audio system)
$575 for comfort group to get electro-chromatic mirror (+ heated seats)
plus 2SS also includes: steering wheel controls, Bluetooth capability, a USB port and wireless interface, plus four auxiliary gauges (forward of the shifter).

Mustang GT with those options plus polished 18" aluminum rims option at $925 (chromed 18" rims are $1185 option) plus 3.55 axle option at $300 plus HIDs at $525 plus GT appearance pkg (hoodscoop + engine cover + chromed exhaust tips) at $245 plus security pkg (alarm + wheel locks) at $375 plus $795 destination charge = $34,575.00 MSRP plus tax title and license.

And this is NO sunroof, NO premium trim with color accent pkg, NO California Special trim pkg, NO chrome wheels, NO body stripes. And 5-speed (versus Camaro 6-speed), 300p 4.6L V8 (versus 422hp 6.2L V8), 18" optional rims (versus Camaro 20" rims), solid rear axle (versus Camaro IRS).

I just got all these Mustang prices off the Ford website. Everybody counts on the Camaro MSRP being priced similar to a comparably equipped Mustang. The Mustang MSRP isn't as cheap as you think and the Camaro has to cost more due to the higher level of equipment.
no one here has said it will cost below a mustang. . .and I will almost guarantee you that base SS will be close (2-3k) more then a base (26,450) GT. mainly because there aren't a lot of options and options are what cause the cars price to rise fast.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:33 PM   #19
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
I'm not going to argue with you. Just please don't be telling people that they're wrong for the (in your opinion) low guesses as far as price. At the end of the day, the Camaro will be priced competitively with the Mustang; we can all argue about $1 wheels () and other specifics 'till the end of time....
Old 08-06-2008, 11:43 PM   #20
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Heres the quote from Fbodfather on that topic -

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
One thing that will not be announced: final pricing.........but fear not --it will be priced very competitively -- it's a Camaro!
Thats all I need to keep me sure that I'll be getting my V6 for about 23000 with all the options that I want.
- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:05 AM   #21
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Quote:
IRS development costs may have been ammortized on other vehicles unles a version was specially developed for the Camaro. But the components and assembly labor still cost more for a complex IRS than the straight axle.

This is what the entire new plant at Oshwa is about, making these cost less per unit. There will be 3 cars built there in the coming years.. count on it.

6-speed Tremec is used in Viper, 'vette, GT500 (no other Mustangs). It costs substantially more than the 5-speed Tremec TR3650 in the Mustang GT. Supply of the 6-speed Tremec was so limited that Dodge released the 2008 SRT8 Challenger with only a 5-speed auto and no manual trans at all.

Sorry buddy, I'm a dodge guy and have ALMOST as much inside info on the chally as the camaro. The reason the SRT8 Auto trim was released first was for several business reasons. First was to whet the appetite of the public, 2nd is to help Chrysler through a tough year and fill in the gap the magnum left. BUT WAIT to fill the gap immediately they couldn't offer the manual, the programming and mechanicals weren't ready in time. Chrysler felt it better to get SOMETHING out on the market instead of wait ANOTHER FULL model year just because of a transmission package.

18" polished aluminum wheels are a $925 option on the Mustang GT premium. Don't tell me that 20" wheels on the Camaro will only cost $1 more than the standard 17" rims on the Mustang GT.

Sure they are going to cost.. but they will be optional that still keeps the base price lower

Yes the GT isnt as cheap as everyone thinks.. but its also not as expensive as you think, besides if its that bad, just wait 2-3 years, it will be 13-16k just like every other used GT out there, they will be making close to 100k cars a year
If you think that the BASE V8 will come in at over 30k your nuts. That ship will sail and GM's new savior car will tank worse than Joan Rivers face over a camp fire... and even the bean counters can see that..
Old 08-07-2008, 01:25 AM   #22
GXPMAN

Drives: Pontiac Solstice GXP
Quote:
SS pricing should be quite a bit higher than the current Mustang GT.
Independent rear suspension is more costly than solid rear axle in Mustang.
6-speed Tremec more costly than 5-speed manual in Mustang GT.
Camaro rims more costly than standard 17" wheels on Mustang GT. - etc.

422hp Camaro SS maybe somewhat comparable in performance to:
$41K 2008 425hp Challenger SRT8
$35K 2003 390hp SVT Mustang Cobra (+ add five years of price increases)
You should not be surprised if SS + 2SS pkg + RS pkg is near $40K.

I don't know.. The G8 GT is 29k for the base model.. It doesn't have the same V8 but it does have IRS.. I really dont think the Camaro SS will be 40k..
You can get a base corvette for not much more then 40k.
GXPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:54 AM   #23
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
If you think that the BASE V8 will come in at over 30k your nuts. That ship will sail and GM's new savior car will tank worse than Joan Rivers face over a camp fire... and even the bean counters can see that..
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:40 AM   #24
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
I hope your right. I did some checking around price wise. The G8 GT's Base is $29995. Pretty fair price car that has a (Blank) load of standard features, it has the L76 at 361hp. The Challenger R/T's Base is also $29995. Also not a bad price and same as the G8 a lot of standard item that were options, it has the new 5.7 at 370hp. And the mustang's around 28k for their Premium GT. Now it's going to be real interesting to see how this plays out, I'm sorta thinking the price'll be in line with Pontiac an Dodge at $29995. Maybe.
Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:49 AM   #25
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
I'm not going to argue with you. Just please don't be telling people that they're wrong for the (in your opinion) low guesses as far as price. At the end of the day, the Camaro will be priced competitively with the Mustang; we can all argue about $1 wheels () and other specifics 'till the end of time....
Unfortunately, "competitively with the Mustang" leaves a loophole -- it could be priced competitively with a competitively-performing Mustang...meaning the V6 could be priced at Mustang GT levels.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:04 AM   #26
littlecammi

Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
If you think that the BASE V8 will come in at over 30k you're nuts. GM's new savior car will tank and even the bean counters can see that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GXPMAN View Post
The G8 GT is $29,995 for the base model. It doesn't have the same V8 but it does have IRS.
I really don't think the Camaro SS will be $40k. You can get a base Corvette for not much more then $40k.
The Pontiac G8 GT is advertised as the "highest hp car under $30K", isn't it?
If base Camaro SS lists for only $30K and 2SS pkg is $4K (see my comparison to cost of simiar Mustang options in earlier post) and RS pkg is $2K and you add the cost of factory stripes + tax, title & license, you are over $40K here in Illinois (with even higher taxes in Cook County and Chicago).

The base Corvette does not list for the "not much more than $40K" you mention. CamaroScotty can attest that several internet dealers have just about ruined 'vette pricing to the point of selling them almost at cost. Although initial Camaro sales will be at or close to full MSRP (except for the dealers with higher markups), the Camaro will wind up being discounted down the road. The August 4th issue of AutoWeek forecasts Camaro sales far below GMs hoped 100,000 annually (saying GM couldn't have predicted Camaro would launch with $4 per gallon gas and a poor economy) and thinks initial interest will only last 18 to 24 months before Camaro sales slump. GM is fine slotting the Camaro MSRP below the Corvette MSRP, even though the currently discounted 'vette is close to the list price of a loaded SS Camaro.
littlecammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:22 AM   #27
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Unfortunately, "competitively with the Mustang" leaves a loophole -- it could be priced competitively with a competitively-performing Mustang...meaning the V6 could be priced at Mustang GT levels.
If GM decides to jump through that loophole; than we can all watch as the Camaro sputters and dies, yet again.
Good thing they won't.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:27 AM   #28
GXPMAN

Drives: Pontiac Solstice GXP
Quote:
The Pontiac G8 GT is advertised as the "highest hp car under $30K", isn't it?
If base Camaro SS lists for only $30K and 2SS pkg is $4K (see my comparison to cost of simiar Mustang options in earlier post) and RS pkg is $2K and you add the cost of factory stripes + tax, title & license, you are over $40K here in Illinois (with even higher taxes in Cook County and Chicago).

The base Corvette does not list for the "not much more than $40K" you mention. CamaroScotty can attest that several internet dealers have just about ruined 'vette pricing to the point of selling them almost at cost. Although initial Camaro sales will be at or close to full MSRP (except for the dealers with higher markups), the Camaro will wind up being discounted down the road. The August 4th issue of AutoWeek forecasts Camaro sales far below GMs hoped 100,000 annually (saying GM couldn't have predicted Camaro would launch with $4 per gallon gas and a poor economy) and thinks initial interest will only last 18 to 24 months before Camaro sales slump. GM is fine slotting the Camaro MSRP below the Corvette MSRP, even though the currently discounted 'vette is close to the list price of a loaded SS Camaro.

I didn't say it listed for not much more then 40k I said You could get one for not much more then 40k..

Big differance.
GXPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote