Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-11-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
bandit38

Drives: Camaro SS - Trans Am - Silverado
When is it ok to wax and polish a new Camaro ?

I have a black SS that was built on March 14th 2012....(It's April 11th when I'm posting this----almost 1 month old).

I was just wondering if it's ok to wax and polish the paint yet ?....I have always heard you need to wait 90 days before you do that, but from what I have read online it seems like that's not the case anymore ?

Also I have a few little white scuff marks that I'm almost positive are in the clearcoat....wasn't sure if it was safe to try and polish those out yet too ?
(I was going to try the Adam's Revive Fine Hand Polish on them).

Thanks for your help !
Old 04-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
You don't have to wait any more these days, your paint is ready to be polish and wax from the factory. It's cured before it leaves the facility.

Last edited by Angelo@Autopia; 04-11-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:22 AM   #3
BigCarrot
xbox: this is tedious

Drives: 2011 1SS M6 Camaro IOM
If the car just came from the factory then you can polish and wax right away.

They bake the paint when there is nothing inside of it except the painted frame/body. So it's fully cured or damn close by the time you get it.

When you get paint work done aftermarket they can't bake your car with all the flamable things inside of it. So that's when you have to wait for the paint to cure.

If you're going to hand polish use the Swirl and Haze if you're trying to get some scuff marks out. Revive is more of a paint cleanser than polish. So I'd go Swirl and Haze by hand then Revive by hand. Revive can help mask what you can't remove by hand. Just depends how bad these imperfections are.
Seems like just yesterday I spent $450 for a Roto Fab CAI!!! What the hell happened.
BigCarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
as already stated, you can polish/wax the car the day you drive it off the lot.

HOWEVER, what I would recommend to you, is to first CLAY the car, then poslish it.....then wax it.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:02 AM   #5
rmpackers
Ride this Chevy

Drives: 2010 RJT RS Camaro
What they said. And sympathies to you for owning one of those Bandit cars, I would have liked to have driven mine into a large deep lake!
Old 04-11-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
bandit38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo View Post
You don't have to wait any more these days, your paint is ready to be polish and wax.
Thanks, I appreciate you letting me know
Old 04-11-2012, 09:53 AM   #7
bandit38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCarrot View Post
If the car just came from the factory then you can polish and wax right away.

They bake the paint when there is nothing inside of it except the painted frame/body. So it's fully cured or damn close by the time you get it.

When you get paint work done aftermarket they can't bake your car with all the flamable things inside of it. So that's when you have to wait for the paint to cure.

If you're going to hand polish use the Swirl and Haze if you're trying to get some scuff marks out. Revive is more of a paint cleanser than polish. So I'd go Swirl and Haze by hand then Revive by hand. Revive can help mask what you can't remove by hand. Just depends how bad these imperfections are.
Not really bad at all...They almost look like spider webs on the car, but they're scratches....almost like a towel was run across it and a little something was on the towel......On any other color I doubt you could even see it honestly...but I'd love to get it totally perfect (or as close as I can anyway...lol)

Thanks for letting me know on those things....I haven't had to do any heavy cleaning or polishing since I switched to Adam's last year.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:54 AM   #8
bandit38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
as already stated, you can polish/wax the car the day you drive it off the lot.

HOWEVER, what I would recommend to you, is to first CLAY the car, then poslish it.....then wax it.
Thanks, I was thinking about trying that Clay....I haven't ever tried it before, but from what I read it really does sound like a good idea !
Old 04-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #9
bandit38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmpackers View Post
What they said. And sympathies to you for owning one of those Bandit cars, I would have liked to have driven mine into a large deep lake!
LOL...oh no.....Mine's never given me a second of problems (knock on wood) since I bought it from the original owner in 1992 !

Just routine maintenance and it's been terrific
Old 04-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #10
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Bandit, some have covered it in this thread already, but you really want to clay before you polish. Claying will take out all the contaminates and rail dust on the surface of your car starting with a super clean surface. Once clayed, then you can work out the scratches with polish, then sealant, (glaze if desired) then Wax.

Second video down:
http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-Adams...12_UPDATE.aspx

While the link promotes their products (and they are VERY good products) it's more about the technique you're use than the products. Master your technique and you'll have an easy car to maintain.

Hope this helps and enjoy the passion.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #11
Angelo@Autopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit38 View Post
Thanks, I appreciate you letting me know
Love the T/A!
Old 04-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #12
Angelo@Autopia

Don't matter what you use remember that your new ride needs a proper wash ( 2 bucket method ), will be needing a clay bar job to remove any contamination on the paint, after that's done check if it's needed a compound or polishing to remove any swirls or other paint-related problems you find on it ( don't forget to tape off trim with painter's tape to avoid staining trim and polish build up in cracks and crevices). from there I would remember a wash again before this next step. After you have done your ready to apply a Carnauba wax or a Sealant of your choice to maintain your finish and to protect it.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #13
bandit38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpomeroy View Post
Bandit, some have covered it in this thread already, but you really want to clay before you polish. Claying will take out all the contaminates and rail dust on the surface of your car starting with a super clean surface. Once clayed, then you can work out the scratches with polish, then sealant, (glaze if desired) then Wax.

Second video down:
http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-Adams...12_UPDATE.aspx

While the link promotes their products (and they are VERY good products) it's more about the technique you're use than the products. Master your technique and you'll have an easy car to maintain.

Hope this helps and enjoy the passion.
Thank you if does help

Oh yeah I love their website, like you say those videos are very helpful....even if you have done all this before you can always learn something new

If I wanted to wash and try that polish and revive before I get the clay bar would that hurt anything ?....I don't have a clay bar yet.....Wasn't sure if the polish would hurt anything if you used it without using the clay bar first ?
Old 04-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #14
bandit38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo View Post
Love the T/A!
Thanks I appreciate it !

I wanted one of those all my life (since I was 7 anyway...lol) and I was finally able to get one in 1992 and I sure have enjoyed it