Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #15
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
I can easily imagine 3 seconds gained on that course by the Trofeos alone. They are a 50 treadwear rating and the the rubber is made in the same single vat as Pirelli's race slicks (I know someone in their Motorsport Division).

So that makes me think that GM is sandbagging, in a good way and rightly so at this point, the true potential of this car. The weight loss could be good for .5 second, deeper braking 1-2 seconds, and the aero for another second.

This new Z/28 should easily run with GT3RS's and base Corvettes all day long.
Tires good for 5000 miles at the most.....track days about 500-1000 miles
Old 04-02-2013, 10:46 PM   #16
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
The ZL1 ran a 7:41.27 at the Nordschleife. A Corvette C6 Z06, with DOT competition tires and the Z07 package, ran 7:22.68. I'm betting the Z/28 ought to turn a 7:33 -- which would make it one of the fastest cars per dollar at The Ring...
Old 04-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #17
Jim968

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post
The ZL1 ran a 7:41.27 at the Nordschleife. A Corvette C6 Z06, with DOT competition tires and the Z07 package, ran 7:22.68. I'm betting the Z/28 ought to turn a 7:33 -- which would make it one of the fastest cars per dollar at The Ring...
If its really 3 seconds faster than the ZL1 around Milford then it should break 7:30 at the ring. A simple mathematical prediction based on track length yields 2:28.
Jim968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #18
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim968 View Post
If its really 3 seconds faster than the ZL1 around Milford then it should break 7:30 at the ring. A simple mathematical prediction based on track length yields 2:28.
Good thing they don't race Calculators...

Really it's hard to translate one to the other just based on time and track length. You also need to consider length of straightaways and number and type corners. Each car will have areas they outperform the other in so its really impossible to estimate with any degree of accuracy the time comparison. It's still just a guess.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #19
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post
It'll be interesting to find out eh? Anyone read what the cd of the car is? It looks pretty slippery? So, on the plus side, the 7.0 will give it speed on the straights which really helps with times there.

When you note "fastest cars per dollar" you really hit the nail on the head for the value proposition of this car.
Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #20
Jim968

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Good thing they don't race Calculators...

Really it's hard to translate one to the other just based on time and track length. You also need to consider length of straightaways and number and type corners. Each car will have areas they outperform the other in so its really impossible to estimate with any degree of accuracy the time comparison. It's still just a guess.
100% agree, but until they run the car there guessing and calculating is the best we can do. I bet it will be mid summer at the earliest before they run the car there.
Jim968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #21
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim968 View Post
100% agree, but until they run the car there guessing and calculating is the best we can do. I bet it will be mid summer at the earliest before they run the car there.
Gotta make sure it's warm for the best times, as that region is notoriously cool and rainy. I will be there in early July, and will be scanning "Bridge To Gantry" before I leave -- just in case the Chevy transporters arrive at the track while I'm there...
Old 04-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #22
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
I think that the Z28 will be faster than any stock Corvette, except of the ZR1 or Z06 (Carbon edition)
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #23
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomino View Post
According to Mr. Wyndham's interview with John Fitzpatrick (LINK) the mysterious course where the z/28 proved to be 3 seconds faster than the ZL1 is the MRC, or Milford Road Course.

Now someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this course is owned by GM.

It is a 2.9 mile course with 18 turns..

I am having a hard time finding lap times for current production vehicles, but this gives us an idea of how much faster the Z/28 is than the ZL1.
Yes, its owned by GM. Its their own private test track. They took elements from various courses from around the world and kinda wove them together. The idea is that if you can get a car to run well at Milford, it will run well anywhere.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #24
avcbm

Drives: Camaro ZL1
I’m thinking maybe depending on the track layout, the ZL1 and Z28 will trade wins, much like the 13 Shelby and ZL1…... although heavier the PTM will allow the ZL1 to be pushed harder with more confidence… and longer straights might be more to an advantage for the ZL1…. The ZL1 was faster than the Shelby in the curves, but the horsepower advantage in the straights would allow the Shelby to make up the time lost.

2012 Camaro ZL1
2010 Camaro SS (Sold)
avcbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #25
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by avcbm View Post
I’m thinking maybe depending on the track layout, the ZL1 and Z28 will trade wins, much like the 13 Shelby and ZL1…... although heavier the PTM will allow the ZL1 to be pushed harder with more confidence… and longer straights might be more to an advantage for the ZL1…. The ZL1 was faster than the Shelby in the curves, but the horsepower advantage in the straights would allow the Shelby to make up the time lost.
But the difference here is that in GT500 vs ZL1, the Ford had the 80 hp advantage and the 300 lb weight advantage giving it a substantial edge in a straight line. But vs the Z/28, the 80 extra hp has to move 300 lbs more car, reducing the impact of its power advantage (rather than enhancing it).
Sure, the ZL1 will still pull harder, but its not going to be as substantial a difference as it is between the GT500 and the ZL1.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #26
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Raise your hand if you have had your personal car on the same track the zl1 and z28 are tested on............trust me it's a awesome course with some neat twist's and high banked sections along the way.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:08 AM   #27
JR3

Drives: Vette, Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyfred View Post
I dont care if it was 30 seconds faster. No way I am paying more for a stripped down ZL1 than what I paid for a fully loaded one.
JR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:17 AM   #28
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Would be more interesting to see a ZL1 on the same tires. If it is just as fast or faster on the semi-race tires then is the z28 really that impressive?