Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-02-2010, 10:28 AM   #29
rd-camaro

Drives: 2010 2LT Blk IOM stripes IO leather
Quote:
Originally Posted by oachalon View Post
I think the specs say 200mph. I use the cheap $29 electric one from sears.

As for the detail spray, it depends on the mood i am in. Most of the time i just detail spray the spots i miss. If i want that extra bit of shine i will detail spray the whole car when im done.

ok cool thanks i keep seeing the $29 leaf blowers but they only hit 150mph...wierd
Corsa Catback, Injen Wrinkle Black Short Ram Intake, 8000k BI XENON Bulbs, LED Fog Bulbs, RX Oil Catch Can, VMax Black Ice-olater, CNC spiral ported Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, BBK LT Ceramic Silver Headers

TEAM LLT

Ordered: June 2009
Born: September 2009
Delivered: October 2009
rd-camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:07 PM   #30
tgdtown

Drives: Cyber Gray 2SS -RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
I'm totally against spraying the whole car with detail spray...then wiping it off. That makes NO sense to me whatsoever (yeah the people selling the stuff say it makes the drying process easier). It doesn't in my view. I've tried it several times, and each time I kick myself in the ass after-wards saying "why in the world did I do that"? No thanks...I will stick with drying the car (after I rinse with open nozzle water stream) using a good leaf blower...then dabbing the few remaining droplets with a double-weeve drying towel. There is NO wiping involved...I mean NONE.
I have tried the detail spray & I just love it. You are so right as far as having to wipe more once you spray the car with the detail spray. But there is a huge difference when you use the detail spray. It gives the clear coat a true wet looking shine and makes the car so much more easier to break down dirt once you clean the car again...
tgdtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:32 PM   #31
Capthowdy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to Capthowdy
I use a big synthetic ABSORBER towel to dry mine and have been on my cars for years...it helps get any pollen/smudges that washing mised. never had any problems with swirls or scratches...just need to keep the sorber real clean and rinsed often...
After seeing the DS method on here I have tried that and have had good results...sometimes the sorber gets a little dry...it needs to be slightly wet...
Capthowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:24 PM   #32
DetailAddict

Drives: .
you should check out some high quality waffle weave drying MF...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthowdy View Post
I use a big synthetic ABSORBER towel to dry mine and have been on my cars for years...it helps get any pollen/smudges that washing mised. never had any problems with swirls or scratches...just need to keep the sorber real clean and rinsed often...
After seeing the DS method on here I have tried that and have had good results...sometimes the sorber gets a little dry...it needs to be slightly wet...
DetailAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:23 AM   #33
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailAddict View Post
you should check out some high quality waffle weave drying MF...

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:26 AM   #34
Gramps

Drives: 2011 1LT/RJT/Auto/
The soap/gloss formula I use...leaves a fantastic sheen...all without adding the detail spray step and needless wiping of yet another product applied to the paint surface. Less is more in my view.

I've actually perfected the washing cycle and have tried a whole lot of different products and techniques. I've concluded the detail spray application is unnecessary and takes more of my time and money. I get the same results without it. Just a fact.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:30 AM   #35
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Foam gun is awesome! Hold on to your wash mitt, at least with the Adam's soap in the foam gun, because it gets slippery!

I too use a leaf blower. Neighbors think I'm nuts! I have a Craftsman that I picked up at a flea market.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:24 AM   #36
rd-camaro

Drives: 2010 2LT Blk IOM stripes IO leather
just ordered a foam gun
Corsa Catback, Injen Wrinkle Black Short Ram Intake, 8000k BI XENON Bulbs, LED Fog Bulbs, RX Oil Catch Can, VMax Black Ice-olater, CNC spiral ported Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, BBK LT Ceramic Silver Headers

TEAM LLT

Ordered: June 2009
Born: September 2009
Delivered: October 2009
rd-camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:53 PM   #37
DetailAddict

USPS already picked it up!

BTW, saw two orders from you, but I only processed one since the PayPal one was on pending. LMK if you actually wanted that one too or not!

Leo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd-camaro View Post
just ordered a foam gun
Old 09-05-2010, 09:25 PM   #38
Uncle Harvey

Drives: 2011 2SS RS
I am a Mechanical Engineer who designs robots for a living. I used to think that I was smarter than the average bear. Now I don't even know how to wash a car. LOL. I need the DetailAddict, Junkman and Gramps to all come to my house to work all of this out.

I did spend $130 today at Summit racing on Adams cleaning products. In the morning I will take my first step and wash the car. I will work my way up from there.

I appreciate everyones advice on this forum.
Uncle Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:29 PM   #39
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Harvey View Post
I am a Mechanical Engineer who designs robots for a living. I used to think that I was smarter than the average bear. Now I don't even know how to wash a car. LOL. I need the DetailAddict, Junkman and Gramps to all come to my house to work all of this out.

I did spend $130 today at Summit racing on Adams cleaning products. In the morning I will take my first step and wash the car. I will work my way up from there.

Wait until you do a HPDE course. I was a cop for years and thought I knew everything about driving.

NOT.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:44 PM   #40
buzzy56
buzzy56

Drives: 2ss summit white L99
nice explanation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
I think you're missing the point for using a drying agent.

It serves a couple of purposes.

A) Additional Surface Lubrication - Anytime you'll be touching your paint you should maximize surface lubrication. Using a drying agent to do this also wets and helps encapsulate any stray dirt/dust particles you may have on the surface - potentially from water drips carrying debris out of trim or door handles, spots you may have missed in the washing process, or stuff that may have settled on the car.

This becomes especially important in cases where you use forced air for drying. That process will push water laden with debris out of the cracks and crevices and from around badges. Lubricating this debris before removal minimizes the risk of damage to your clear coat.

Its simply an extra barrier of protection.

B) Detail Spray is mildly hydrophobic - this means that it repels water.. if you have standing water pooled anywhere on the vehicle, try a mist of detail spray and watch what happens. The product will cause that standing water to run. Even if you do a sheeting/pooling rinse there will be areas where water gathers.

So whether you choose to believe it or not it does aid in drying. Now maybe you're misunderstanding or simply doing it incorrectly, but a light mist of product as you dry is all thats needed - if you're having such extensive problems with this process it might be that you're saturating the car with spray.

In any event, do what works for you... but its not like we blindly make these recommendations based on some hunch. Its been proven in results and in the countless testimonials of customers that its an added benefit, not just with our products either. Many companies make this same recommendation.
\

Excellent explanation for us rookies on here.Thanks. Makes a lot of sense!
Old 09-05-2010, 11:48 PM   #41
Uncle Harvey

Drives: 2011 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
I think you're missing the point for using a drying agent.

It serves a couple of purposes.

A) Additional Surface Lubrication - Anytime you'll be touching your paint you should maximize surface lubrication. Using a drying agent to do this also wets and helps encapsulate any stray dirt/dust particles you may have on the surface - potentially from water drips carrying debris out of trim or door handles, spots you may have missed in the washing process, or stuff that may have settled on the car.

This becomes especially important in cases where you use forced air for drying. That process will push water laden with debris out of the cracks and crevices and from around badges. Lubricating this debris before removal minimizes the risk of damage to your clear coat.

Its simply an extra barrier of protection.

B) Detail Spray is mildly hydrophobic - this means that it repels water.. if you have standing water pooled anywhere on the vehicle, try a mist of detail spray and watch what happens. The product will cause that standing water to run. Even if you do a sheeting/pooling rinse there will be areas where water gathers.

So whether you choose to believe it or not it does aid in drying. Now maybe you're misunderstanding or simply doing it incorrectly, but a light mist of product as you dry is all thats needed - if you're having such extensive problems with this process it might be that you're saturating the car with spray.

In any event, do what works for you... but its not like we blindly make these recommendations based on some hunch. Its been proven in results and in the countless testimonials of customers that its an added benefit, not just with our products either. Many companies make this same recommendation.
Dylan,

You did a good job of explaining the purpose of the detailing spray. I did notice that the Adams video on this subject says to spray the car down. This may be where some of the confusion comes from.
Uncle Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:48 PM   #42
DetailAddict

no problem my friend, that's what we are here for...

$ is really not an issue... just wait until you become a "detail addict", you won't let anyone else touch your car, and you'll become a detailing slave to your car.... LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Harvey View Post