Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
RyanBoles

Drives: 2010 2SS
Question Exhaust

Okay i have been looking at getting an axle back system, probably flow master. I have been looking under neath the car at the rear. I notice the two big ugly cans with chrome tips welded on them, and I know the axle back replaces this. So why not just buy two mufflers (of your choice) and fit them in yourself and save some $. Is there a reason I should pay up to 600$ for an axle back system when the potential to do it myself for way less is there? Thanks!
RyanBoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBoles View Post
Okay i have been looking at getting an axle back system, probably flow master. I have been looking under neath the car at the rear. I notice the two big ugly cans with chrome tips welded on them, and I know the axle back replaces this. So why not just buy two mufflers (of your choice) and fit them in yourself and save some $. Is there a reason I should pay up to 600$ for an axle back system when the potential to do it myself for way less is there? Thanks!
That is pretty much what an axle back is. But I think it comes down to the sound. I don't know how a fabbed set-up would work or sound. You might go to all the trouble of making something just to find out you don't like it. You could probably get the mufflers on Ebay. There are lots of companies that sell no-name brand flow-thru mufflers that should fit. Then you'd just have to get the piping and some tips from Pep-Boys or somewhere.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
NickSS

If you're that worried about it just delete the mufflers, putting a different set of cans on it won't make much of a difference. Or just go buy a cat back system
Old 08-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #4
BubbaSS
WHAT RED LIGHT?!

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
I say go for it! Nothing wrong with having a different sound then the masses
2011 2SS/RS M6 BLACK - VARARAM NO TUNE INTAKE, MODDED AND PORTED TB, PORTED INTAKE MANIFOLD, VITESSE THROTTLE CONTROLLER, DOUG THORLEY LT'S, CATLESS, X-PIPE, 25" STAINLESS WORKS RETRO CHAMBERED MUFFLERS, CUSTOM 2.5" MANDREL BENT EXHAUST, RICHMOND 4.10 GEARS, CUSTOM CAM (231/242 @ 114LSA), MUSTANG DYNO TUNED BY TORQ, 20% CERAMIC TINTS, EIBACH PROKIT SPRINGS 1" DROP, HAWK PERFORMANCE CERAMIC BRAKES, NITTO INVO TIRES, HYDROCARBON TAIL LIGHT AND FOG LIGHT BEZELS BY EMBLEMPROS, METRA DASH KIT, JVC KW-AV71BT, PHOENIX GOLD iAMP GM1, PASSPORT QI45 - 450 RWHP 415 RWTQ
BubbaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:15 PM   #5
RyanBoles

My problem is I have a baby on the way so my budget is all but gone. I still want to upgrade my care but the parts are way over priced. I understand why some things are over a grand but a set of mufflers with tips...come on. It doesnt help the v8 cars sound like honda civics to begin with. Im trading a set of 4th gen z/28 wheels for this "custom" exhaust set up, my fingers are crossed that it doesnt pop and give me raspy start ups. Next in line is a over the rad intake and hopefullly a tune, I would love a custom tune but I dont think anyone does this in the Meridian MS area. Then if im really good maybe in 10 yrs santa will give me a set of long tube headers. Thanks for your input guys keep it coming I need all the info and help I can get.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:15 PM   #6
RyanBoles

car*
Old 08-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
My problem is I have a baby on the way so my budget is all but gone. I still want to upgrade my care but the parts are way over priced. I understand why some things are over a grand but a set of mufflers with tips...come on. It doesnt help the v8 cars sound like honda civics to begin with. Im trading a set of 4th gen z/28 wheels for this "custom" exhaust set up, my fingers are crossed that it doesnt pop and give me raspy start ups. Next in line is a over the rad intake and hopefullly a tune, I would love a custom tune but I dont think anyone does this in the Meridian MS area. Then if im really good maybe in 10 yrs santa will give me a set of long tube headers. Thanks for your input guys keep it coming I need all the info and help I can get.
I agree about the cost of an axle-back. There is no way to justify selling 2 mufflers with a small section of tubing and some tips for over $400. Matter of fact. I personally feel that most of the exhaust company's prices are way over-priced. Prices are coming down a bit due to the knock-off and no-name brand companies selling same quality items for much lower prices.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
11TexaSS

Drives: 2011RedJewel, FI
Look into Pypes exhaust. Im running the full cat back and only ran like 500. Like 250 for axle back. Price shop, I've seen prices all over, don't forget eBay
11TexaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #9
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Do a muffler delete, a guy at work did it to his SS and sounds great! Looks a ton better also,wish my V6 sounded better when this is done but it sounds pretty bad from what I've heard. Any shop will doo this for $50-100.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #10
Khmero215

Drives: Victory Red 2SS
I just got the muffler delete. don't regret it at all. cheaper than an exhaust and sounds prolly just as good

Khmero215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
babytiger
it's hers...

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
Muffler delete with some new tips or keep the factory tips to keep cost down. Most people get that done for around $100.
babytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #12
RyanBoles

I got two flowmasters to replace the factory cans, it gave it a deeper sound. I looked into the delete and you may think i am crazy but it was just too loud for what i wanted. I got it done for around 150 including the mufflers and they reused the factory tips. I'll try to get some pics or video. I wasn really expecting any hp gains I just wanted to hear the car. Thanks guys!
Old 08-31-2012, 01:23 AM   #13
Bradley
Gray Eagle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS IBM, 1994 Camaro
On Amazon.com I got a Flowmaster Americam Thunder cat back system. It cost about $640. The cheapest I could find anywhere. Just don't settle for something. Figure out what you would like, save for it, and get it. If you settle for something your not sure of, it will just be a waste of money and you will end up getting something else. Shop around and look for places that are having sales. That time of year is coming, new sales every week.
Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:57 AM   #14
Brandon@LSRPerformance

Drives: N/A
Quote:
Check our LSR axle-back exhaust:

Video:

Let me know if I can help you with anything!
Brandon@LSRPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote