Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 02-03-2015, 06:01 AM   #57
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
I'm sure if he did a hundred laps and found the limit for the car at each corner he could shave a second or two. I doubt he was willing to push it to the very edge of its capabilities in a couple laps.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:34 AM   #58
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96MrBass View Post
CTS-V no ? Cmon Denis lol
oh obviously I would LOVE a CTS-v (hell, ill take an ATS-V too). they were just debating the SS and the Hellcat. I personally love fast 4 door sedans...always have.

Last edited by Denis; 02-03-2015 at 06:44 AM.
Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:21 PM   #59
SalJC

Drives: '15 Charger R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
Back in 2008 I was within 30 min of buying a G8 GT (using the same money I would use to get my Camaro the next year). They were visually catching, a great option and competitor for the Charger and frankly the superior in many ways. There are a number of reasons I didn't end up getting one, not the least of which was a super shady dealer who pulled the rug out from under me at the 11th hour.

For me what made the G8 GT such a great bargain was the price point, starting in 2008 at $29,995. Adjusted for inflation that is $32,980. That's Charger R/T territory today. The SS is not a bargain, at all, at $45,000 starting.

Frankly The SS felt more like a F*** YOU from Chevy to the fans who were screaming for a RWD V8 sedan. They brought over a great car, loaded it up, put it at a price point that a lot of people are not interested in, gave it a bland exterior, gave it a GG tax and made it so dealers could easily charge ADM's because it's "limited production" and difficult to get a hold of.

The G8 GT model was one that could have made Chevrolet a competitor in the full size, RWD market. Instead we got the absurdly and asininely named "SS" which only a few people even know about, even less want to buy and a fraction of those can get.

In my opinion as a car the SS is great, as a product and program from GM it is a dismal failure. The numbers may not agree with me, that's fine, I don't give a rip.
^ This

The G8 was a full line V6, GT, GXP. But while GM still makes all three they decided only to offer the former GXP version as a Chevy which effectively put it out of reach of most buyers, including myself.

I was in the market for a 4dr recently and would've bought one in a second, I really liked the G8 GT. So got a '15 Charger R/T for $31k. It's my daily driver and I wasn't about to spend $45k for a car to park at the train station and pick up the kids from daycare..
SalJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:19 PM   #60
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:18 PM   #61
LostPony

Drives: 2012 Boss 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEADfoot927 View Post
He definitely wasn't pushing it as hard as he could. Should have shifted in higher gears in the corners to prevent wheel spin.
One of the things I noticed about the auto Hellcat was that if left in full auto it would shift down to what I felt was too low of a gear. While this certainly made the car feel racier, it often left me feathering the throttle more than I felt would be necessary had I been a gear higher.

Keep in mind that I spent numerous days with the car during the press launch last year, and I have been performance driving at my home track for 17 years, and instructing for the last 8 years. I know my track well, and know a thing or two about driving at speed. I also spent many hours with the engineers and had time to appreciate what they tried, and I think succeeded, to accomplish.

While 90% of the time I was happy to let the car do its thing in auto mode, I found myself wanting to keep the gear one higher on entry and exit than the car selected for me. With so much power on tap I didn't think the car needed to be at 4k RPM or higher through a tight turn, but instead would prefer to have it at 3K or so where it would be coming into the meat of the power as you exit.

In my own car I am often a gear higher than others at a particular turn. Where many might downshift to 3rd for our turn 10 or 3, I am in fourth and am able to enter smoother, and exit smoother and faster. Same where others go to 2nd at our turns 1 and 5, I stay in 3rd and am still quick off the corner.

What would have been interesting to see is for Randy to have run the car like Leadfoot and myself are suggesting, and the way it was done in the video to compare if it were any different or faster. I am not sure how much time Randy has to do his laps, and he may have tried it. If he did, I wish he would have said so we wouldn't be here armchair quarterbacking his runs.

Just my two cents.

2012 Kona Boss 302 #2758
LostPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:28 PM   #62
LostPony

Drives: 2012 Boss 302
Better yet, don't take our word for it, watch this:

Sir Jackie Stewart explains smooth driving and at about 3:25 or so talks a little about being a gear higher.

2012 Kona Boss 302 #2758
LostPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:47 AM   #63
topsy krett

Drives: camaro 2010 ss
speedislife i like that
topsy krett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:09 PM   #64
TastyBake

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN View Post
At a $10,000 premium to the SS, it sure as hell better. Remind us what place the Charger came in? Oh right, SECOND. Lost in every single category. A car is more than 0-60. Some day you'll understand.

Sadly, some people just can't see past the HP.

If roles were reversed, would we REALLY be saying this about the camaro?
TastyBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:17 PM   #65
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TastyBake View Post
If roles were reversed, would we REALLY be saying this about the camaro?
Who is talking about the Camaro??? The SS sedan beat out the Charger sedan in every singly category in that comparison. It is simply more car for less money.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:39 PM   #66
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN View Post
Who is talking about the Camaro??? The SS sedan beat out the Charger sedan in every singly category in that comparison. It is simply more car for less money.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which comparison are you looking at? The earlier one posted using the much less powerful 392, the SS lost 11/12 C/Ds test result categories. Think of what the numbers would be if C&D did the same test with the Hellcat Charger.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...e-specs-page-4
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:52 PM   #67
rocket403

Drives: 80 Cutlass 403, 2010 FF RT
SS is a fail that does not sell well, I'll take the Charger thanks and with the new A8 and 485hp it would be that much faster than the Super Suck
rocket403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:54 PM   #68
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which comparison are you looking at? The earlier one posted using the much less powerful 392, the SS lost 11/12 C/Ds test result categories. Think of what the numbers would be if C&D did the same test with the Hellcat Charger.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...e-specs-page-4
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...rt_comparison/
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

Both Fiat twins LOST to the SS.

The Fiat twins already have more HP. It doesn't make them better cars. The FAILcat Charger is already a full second slower around Streets of Willow than the SS sedan. You think more power is the answer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket403 View Post
SS is a fail that does not sell well, I'll take the Charger thanks and with the new A8 and 485hp it would be that much faster than the Super Suck
Still bitter you can't get the SS in Canada eh?

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:00 PM   #69
rocket403

Drives: 80 Cutlass 403, 2010 FF RT
In the 1/4 it sure does help, SS looks like any other FWD car that GM has it would not matter what that car could do as it stands I would not get one if I could. Just because it has an SS badge does not make up for its looks.
rocket403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:01 PM   #70
96MrBass

Drives: GM
Can't see past 707 lol.
Roto- Fab Cai, SLP 1 3/4" headers, 3"X pipe, LM2 cat back, Comp Cam & AI Heads, SLP UP, RPM Tuned, GPI Intake, Vmax TB, ADM Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Gforce driveshaft, Braille 21#, Elite Catch Can, Pfadt Tie Rods, Diff Bushings and Trailing arms, Eibach spings & sways, BMR cradle bushings, Nt555r's.
96MrBass is offline   Reply With Quote