Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-16-2013, 02:52 AM   #1
With envy
It's a Synergy thing..

Drives: 2010 Synergy
My Little Moment of Perfect Camaro Clarity - Wally's Meet

Last weekend I hosted a Camaro meet at a Wally's Drive-In, in Buckley, Washington. It was a follow-up to an impromptu Camaro "meet and eat" I had put together last Summer at the same location. Originally an informal gathering; just a few people who had seen my posting on C5, some existing friends and some new people that would become my friends. About 25 cars in all. But there was one anomaly that stood out from that original gathering: Of the 25 Camaros that came, 8 were Synergy Green Metallic. (Mine included.) We took photographs that became a big hit on the internet.

Name:  SSRS 02.jpg
Views: 5058
Size:  93.0 KB

So when I decided I wanted to repeat the event this year, not surprisingly, I wanted to try and make it bigger. Not only did I want to shoot for a bigger turnout, but I also wanted to assemble the "Synergy Squadron" again. And of course I wanted to make that bigger too.

Now the whole idea of getting a large number of statistically rare colored Camaros together seemed like a lot of fun. But aside from making for a cool photograph, it also seemed kind of trivial on the scheme of things. I felt like I needed more of a reason. A purpose. Then I hit on an idea. I realized people did all kinds of silly, fun things, all the time to raise money for charity; like dress up as pirates, or wear Moroccan headgear while driving around in ridiculously tiny cars. Why couldn't we get green Camaros together to raise money for a good cause?

My next step was to find that cause. I didn't have to go far. With Army, Navy, and Air Force installations all located in this area of the Puget Sound, many of our local Camaro brethren are currently serving, have served, or have family serving in the U.S. Armed Forces. We also have a large Army medical facility, Madigan Army Hospital located here. And adjacent to that hospital, there is a Fisher House.

Fisher House is described as a "home away from home" for families of military personnel who are undergoing treatment at any of a number of military medical installations around the world. It allows the families to be close to their loved ones when they are needed most, without having to worry about how they are going to pay for lodging at a time when they might be least able to afford it, or when they really have much more important things to worry about.

With such strong connections to the military, and the strong sense of community that local Camaro owners often exhibit, I knew this was a perfect match. With the date chosen, all the arrangements made for the venue, and contact made with Fisher House Foundation, I figured I was all set. I was slightly mistaken.

I had no experience in charitable fundraising. Luckily for me, I had friends, and my wife to make up for what I lacked. As the day of the event drew ever nearer, they jumped into action, and began soliciting donations from local businesses for a raffle. Items began to roll in. My wife (Dragonlady) even sidetracked the Fbodfather himself at a local car show to see if he could help. As soon as she had finished explaining what we were doing, the Blackberry appeared so fast in his hand, it's as if it came from nowhere. We received an email offering assistance from Chevrolet, before the weekend was out!
I was a little nervous when the day arrived, gloomy and overcast after a whole week of sunshine. But the Camaros came, and the clouds broke. We finished the day with a best count of 67 Camaros. The raffle went very well, exceeding our donation goal. And the original 8 SGMs from last year returned, along with 5 new ones for a total of 13 Synergy Green Metallic Camaros!

Name:  W13 00 Small.jpg
Views: 3753
Size:  96.9 KB

Name:  DSC_9054 Crop.jpg
Views: 3898
Size:  132.0 KB

Name:  DSC_0400 Resize.jpg
Views: 3638
Size:  75.0 KB

Name:  W13 01.jpg
Views: 3801
Size:  248.6 KB

Name:  W13 02.jpg
Views: 3674
Size:  213.9 KB

Name:  W13 07.jpg
Views: 4093
Size:  253.8 KB

Name:  W13 05.jpg
Views: 3646
Size:  146.4 KB

Yet with all the big things that went right that day, there was one small thing that happened, that for me outshined everything else.

A couple days before the meet, my wife contacted an old co-worker friend she had not seen in some time on an unrelated matter. In the course of catching up with what had been going on since she had last spoke to him, she discovered he had not been doing so well.

For some unknown reason, he had begun to lose weight at an alarming rate. Medical tests had revealed nothing, and doctors were at a complete loss to explain what was happening to him. The weight loss had progressed to a point that he was beginning to lose muscle tissue, and without any options to offer him, a doctor had advised that he might want to get his affairs in order.

He mentioned to my wife that his six year old son was really into Camaros, and that he would like it if his son could see our Camaro up close. Dragonlady told him she could do one better, all he had to do is show up at our gathering on Saturday, and she would have a real Bumblebee there for him to see.

On Saturday morning, our friend (Jayhawk500) and his wife had just arrived. They had driven all the way up from the coast of Oregon to join us. While there are a few yellow Camaro owners that act a little annoyed with the whole "Bumblebee" thing, and the fascination that children have with it, Jayhawk500 has embraced it. He installed an audio system that plays sound clips from Transformers, and can activate it with a key fob remote. When the car is parked, and children go flocking to it, he will fish the remote from his pocket and presss the button. The reaction of the kids is priceless!

Knowing this, Dragonlady brought her friend and his son right over as soon as they arrived. I was lucky enough to be there to catch some pictures. They truly speak for themselves.

Name:  W13 10.jpg
Views: 3586
Size:  160.1 KB

Name:  W13 15.jpg
Views: 3690
Size:  50.3 KB

Name:  W13 09.jpg
Views: 3550
Size:  242.4 KB

Name:  W13 12.jpg
Views: 3586
Size:  233.7 KB

I had a moment to speak with the father a while later. I couldn't help but inquire about his condition. I was hoping for some glimmer of hope beyond what my wife had told me. Perhaps some direction that the doctors had yet to explore that might lead to some good news. But it was almost the same as what my wife had relayed to me. I admitted that I couldn't even imagine what he was going through. He said it was especially hard on the little one. I looked down and noticed his son frowning and beginning to squirm at his side, and realized he understood more than I had given him credit for. I quickly changed the subject.

Later in the day was the drawing for the raffle. One of the donated items in the raffle was a small RC Camaro, yellow and black, just like Bumblebee. I would find out later that my wife's friend had bought a number of raffle tickets, and placed them in the cup for the RC car, in a bid to win it for his son. His ticket was not drawn. It was won by one of our Camaro friends who goes by Mya May.

Now I don't know how much Mya May knew about how hard he had tried to win the car, but I do know that she had no idea of the uncertainty that was hanging over their lives. Knowing these people as I do, what she did next did not really surprise me, but it made me feel pretty good about the people I choose to hang around with. She walked over to the little boy and handed him the car. Somebody that knew what was happening managed to grab my arm and get me to shoot these pictures as it unfolded. The faces say it all.

Name:  W13 11.jpg
Views: 3537
Size:  299.6 KB

Name:  W13 14.jpg
Views: 3727
Size:  221.3 KB

The next day, my wife's friend sent her an email to thank her for the invite. In it was this picture, with this caption:

Name:  460.jpg
Views: 3655
Size:  153.5 KB
It hasnt left his side since she gave it to him, he sets it up so he can fall asleep looking at it

Camaro lore tells that the name was discovered in last minute desperation in an old copy of Heath's French-to-English Dictionary. In case you've ever wondered, and didn't already know, Camaro means "friend". For me, that's just one of a long string of chance happenings in the Camaro story, and my story, that seem more like fate. No word seems more appropriate for this amazing car than friend. I have regarded my Camaro more as a friend than as an object. It was a chance happening that put us in the posession of the Camaro that we have now. That Camaro led us to the multitudes of new friends that we have made along the way. Passionate people whose cars evoke emotion. Many of those friends came together in one place on Saturday- the right place, the right time. And their friendship and generosity provided a happy moment for a boy and his father at a time when they really needed it.

I don't know how this story will end. No one does. But I do know my friends made a happy memory for a little boy, that he can reach out and touch whenever he needs to.

And he has his own new friend that will be watching over him as he falls asleep tonight.

(OP update 8/17/13: Be sure to read this post: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=43
It's written by the boy's father, Tim.

Update 9/4/13: Some promising news: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=95

I highly recommend reading all of the other responses too, some of them are by the people I have mentioned in my account.)

Last edited by With envy; 09-04-2013 at 11:34 PM.
With envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:58 AM   #2
smarbrit

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM
Super like!! What an amazing day!! Thank you for sharing!
smarbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:07 AM   #3
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarbrit View Post
Super like!! What an amazing day!! Thank you for sharing!
love this story

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:08 AM   #4
IowaGuy

Drives: 2013 Cyber Gray Metallic Chevy Volt
Wow! Looks like a lot of camabros having a great time, nice pics!
IowaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:22 AM   #5
With envy
It's a Synergy thing..

Drives: 2010 Synergy
Camabros. I like that!

You can see more pics here:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...71#post6891871

With envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:23 AM   #6
DRKnight1SS
The Dude

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS M6
Very cool story, the little boy will most likely remember it forever. Thanks for sharing. Best of luck to that family.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
CAE intake, Borla Type S exhaust, TSP LT headers, stage 2 CMS cam tuned by Ryne, MGW short shifter, Carbon fiber Anvil trunk spoiler, Havoc rear diffuser with carbon fiber insert, GM GFX side skirts, ACS T4 front lip spoiler, 20" MRR 228 Gloss Black Wheels wrapped in Nitto INVO rubber, carbon fiber radio fin, Wilpak black rear window louvers.
DRKnight1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:25 AM   #7
CamaroLB
SoCal HT5 COTW 12/16/2013

Drives: Burning B
Looks awesome especially the pics of the Synergy Green Metallic camaros !!
Old 08-16-2013, 03:28 AM   #8
Macina

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT AGM
Beautiful story.. Really nice to read something like this instead of so many other "hard" threads... Beautiful!
Mods: OBX 1.7/8" LT headers, No cats, SW retro chambered cat back, CAI inc cai, JRE Scoop, roto-fab wb relo kit, RX catch can, Vmax ported TB, 1LE steering wheel, 1LE shift knob/boot, SCT tuner, Anthracite plasti dipped wheels, Apex/Pfadt 1.25" lowering springs.
Macina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:49 AM   #9
PatS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT
Man, the basement here is real dusty. Good job.
PatS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:33 AM   #10
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
Great work, the Fisher house is an amazing charity to support. You've got a real talent for organization. You've realized life isn't just about you, but helping others. Excellent drive on and peace on ya brother
ssrs2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:57 AM   #11
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen

Drives: 2010 2SS
Awesome story man! Its nice to see there is still a glimpse of humanity out there. Kudos to you for all your hard work organizing and best wishes to the boy and his family. Hope all ends well!
Old 08-16-2013, 05:16 AM   #12
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Nice!

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:30 AM   #13
ToolFan66

Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
Beautiful story!! Thanks for sharing, but I hate you for bringing a tear to my eyes.

One of the best threads shared here in awhile...

KooKs LT Headers, Borla S-Type cat back, RotoFab CAI, Bo White PTB, RMCR tune...
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:38 AM   #14
HeritageLS

Drives: 2012 1LS Camaro (Victory Red)
It's great to read about selfless acts of generosity and kindness every now and then to restore faith in humanity and what we are actually capable of.

Amazing story and great job for everyone involved doing something for that kid and his family. He will never forget it.
HeritageLS is offline   Reply With Quote