Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #71
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
BTW, for those interested in building/having a Gen-5 Camaro with an LS7, I think I found a donor engine...

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2013/...in-california/
Old 03-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #72
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
yeah no biggie, that's alll I am saying..the LS7 is too big and too expensive for a Z/28(track ready, poor mans race car)..just call it the LS7 just like the concept pictures and I am happy with that.
LS7 too big for a Z/28? How so, physical dimensions it's the same as an LS3. Displacement? With no race series limitation, I have no problem with the LS7 displacement for a Z/28. Too expensive? There are likely ways that a significant part of the price difference could be addressed, perhaps an LS7 not completely "hand built", as well I think the in-house price differential is not as high as the crate engine differential. I do not see another suitable, immediately available engine in the Chevrolet lineup at present. When some videos surfaced of LS7 Camaros, listening to them run certainly gave off the correct sounds to my ears for a high performance Z/28!
Clyde
Old 03-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #73
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
GM needs a car for the LS7 to replace the Z06 otherwise the plant won't be able to affordably make LS7s. There was information posted somewhere around here that showed how many engines they make and that the void would clearly upsetl LS7 production unless it finds a new home.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #74
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
GM needs a car for the LS7 to replace the Z06 otherwise the plant won't be able to affordably make LS7s. There was information posted somewhere around here that showed how many engines they make and that the void would clearly upsetl LS7 production unless it finds a new home.
Why would they continue to produce an engine they don't use? If that's the case, where is the LS9 going next?
Old 03-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #75
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
Yeah it was said somewhere 30 engines a week..I know they don't sell that many corvettes, so I am sure they have a boatload of them on a warehouse! I don't mean too big as in size, we all know the LS-series are all the same size dimensions. What I have been trying to say, is the original Z/28's were purpose built, just because there isn't a racing circuit with displacement limitations, doesn't mean that GM shouldn't want to return to their roots as ford did and hook us up with an equaling engine. I know I know, wishful thinking, but I want to be inspired again, not turned upside down and shaken violently for every penny I have earned just to drive one..then after paying the good 'ol gov't heir chunk for the gas guzzler tax, pay every week at the pump just to take it around the block. I don't want a 50k garage queen, I want to be able to enjoy the car!
Old 03-13-2013, 06:42 PM   #76
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
If a version could be made at a reasonable price and it sounded like the one in this video, would you be interested? Cause it sure sounded to me like it would make a good Z/28!
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...=0&FORM=NVPFVR

Clyde
Old 03-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #77
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Yeah it was said somewhere 30 engines a week..I know they don't sell that many corvettes, so I am sure they have a boatload of them on a warehouse! I don't mean too big as in size, we all know the LS-series are all the same size dimensions. What I have been trying to say, is the original Z/28's were purpose built, just because there isn't a racing circuit with displacement limitations, doesn't mean that GM shouldn't want to return to their roots as ford did and hook us up with an equaling engine. I know I know, wishful thinking, but I want to be inspired again, not turned upside down and shaken violently for every penny I have earned just to drive one..then after paying the good 'ol gov't heir chunk for the gas guzzler tax, pay every week at the pump just to take it around the block. I don't want a 50k garage queen, I want to be able to enjoy the car!
If a 427 Chevy engine in a Camaro isn't inspiring I don't know what is.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #78
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
This is still part of the reason I am against the LS7 in the Camaro. Price..little guys like me being able to afford one. It should not be possible for a supercharged engine (LSA) to cost less than a NA engine(LS7) Sure it would be a fun car, you could have big boy bragging rights to say you have a 7.0L engine in your car, but seriously adding at least 10K to the Camaro is just insane. You get a ton more bang for your buck modding 10k worth of stuff to your car starting with a 1LE base.
Supercharging is the cheap way to go. A built motor is most always more expensive. Take another look at the LS7's guts.
A Z28 was originally built as a race car for the streets, give me a hi-revving built motor. The HUGE bonus it's a 427! Too cool!
Old 03-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #79
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
If a version could be made at a reasonable price and it sounded like the one in this video, would you be interested? Cause it sure sounded to me like it would make a good Z/28!
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...=0&FORM=NVPFVR

Clyde
Oh yeah! But that one defiantly has a little (lot) extra.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #80
LoneCynic

Drives: 2015 BVM 1SS/1LE
I do hope they find some way to make a Z28 that is affordable to enjoy and not have to be a garage queen. I've been holding out on trading up, in case this car saw the light of day. If it does, and is anywhere near attainable, I'll get a second job just to have one. I've wanted a Z28 for a long time, and have avoided the temptation of the SS, and barely managed to avoid the temptation of the SS 1LE in order to see if this beast was coming. I suppose this will be the time when we know for sure one way or the other, eh? If it isn't announced at this auto show on the 27th, then that's it? What do you guys think?

I've been keeping the faith, been following this forum on a near daily basis. Wildpaws, Lowdown, and the rest have discussed, debated, and concluded on what the Z28 should be. I've commented from time to time, just to make it known there are others waiting, supporting this journey we've been on. Info, rumors, spy shots, leaks, all have been somewhere between sparse to non-existant. Yet you gentlemen have kept the faith, and have inspired this Camaro fan to silently follow, mostly in silence, and listen to you impart wisdom, historical relevance and precedence, and add your individual speculation.

I just want you all to know, no matter if the hallowed 5th Gen Z28 sees the light of day or not, I've enjoyed the ride, the conversations, and reading what you all have had to share in the topics found on this forum. It's been a real pleasure.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:01 PM   #81
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
I agree with you cynic, this is all good fun in here and of course we all keep the boat floating with good conversation! Honestly still after all this thinking, discussion and input, I just know if they put an LS7 in this car, the price will keep me out of the driver's seat and that's a shame...I work hard and enjoy my toys, but for this I'm sure I will be breathing hard against a window somewhere peering in from the outside!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:29 PM   #82
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneCynic View Post
I do hope they find some way to make a Z28 that is affordable to enjoy and not have to be a garage queen. I've been holding out on trading up, in case this car saw the light of day. If it does, and is anywhere near attainable, I'll get a second job just to have one. I've wanted a Z28 for a long time, and have avoided the temptation of the SS, and barely managed to avoid the temptation of the SS 1LE in order to see if this beast was coming. I suppose this will be the time when we know for sure one way or the other, eh? If it isn't announced at this auto show on the 27th, then that's it? What do you guys think?

I've been keeping the faith, been following this forum on a near daily basis. Wildpaws, Lowdown, and the rest have discussed, debated, and concluded on what the Z28 should be. I've commented from time to time, just to make it known there are others waiting, supporting this journey we've been on. Info, rumors, spy shots, leaks, all have been somewhere between sparse to non-existant. Yet you gentlemen have kept the faith, and have inspired this Camaro fan to silently follow, mostly in silence, and listen to you impart wisdom, historical relevance and precedence, and add your individual speculation.

I just want you all to know, no matter if the hallowed 5th Gen Z28 sees the light of day or not, I've enjoyed the ride, the conversations, and reading what you all have had to share in the topics found on this forum. It's been a real pleasure.
I fell in love with the Z28 as a kid. I always liked the idea of going fast through turns not just going fast in a straight line. I want to see the return of the Z28 as it was initially designed in Gen1 especially since the Gen5 resembles the Gen1. The 1LE is almost there...
As I've said before will GM let an entire Camaro generation go by without a Z28? I say no! Yes, we'll know soon.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:29 PM   #83
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
This "he said, she said" regarding "Corvette engine" usage belies one always-in-play FACT: Put the same engine in a 3900 lb vehicle and it will NOT outperform a 3200 lb vehicle, all other things being similar, which of course they're not...

It was the same at Ford when the 540 hp engine was used in the far-superior (dynamically) GT chassis than in the GT 500 Stang. GT outran the bigger/heavier/less-dynamic Stang...and so would the Vette. By its very nature, the Vette maintains a certain performance superiority over the Camaro...

The GT 500 is on a par, now, with the mid-decade GT only because of an extra 100+ hp...and improved GY tires.

Try that recipe on the 1SS/1LE Gen-5 Camaro with LS7 motor-vation and Michelin Pilot SS or Cup tires...and then watch the competition cringe!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
what he said^
The Snake is their halo car, ours is the Corvette. We don't need a S/C ZL1, and shurely not a Z/28 that has one either. Make it like it has been prescribed here for a loooooong time and there you have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Yes, it's much less expensive to offer more options for a car than to add another car or a whole other division selling the same car restyled, but under a different name. So I beg to differ adding more available optioning to the Camaro will only inflate the customer base and profits not the cost.
No, it splits and subdivides... so you want two upper eschelon upper tier price markets dollar wise for Camaro and Corvette? Smaller market share for us, the novety is there now for the ZL1 it will wane over time more than the Vette sales. Then they be forced to drop the ZL1. NO, incorporate the technology, build one monster. The Camaro is beer to the Vette's champaign. And the two will only sacrifice the corporates patience and sales over time if we continue on this dual upper end model trend that the Vette has had. There is no logical reason for us to follow suit. Base, SS, Z/28.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #84
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

It's just more options on the same car. It's not like the past when they were selling the Camaro and Firebird.

Closed Thread