Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #225
Camaro_Mike

Drives: 2011 CGM SS LS3
Are there any HP gains from the muffler delete?
Camaro_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #226
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
No
Old 08-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #227
ForgedReality
Envy

Drives: 2011 SGM 2SS/RS - Black hood/hockey
I've had the Magnaflow axle-back muffler delete on my SS (LS3) for a few months. I did the install myself. Pretty simple. Unbolt after the cats, sawzawl at the appropriate lengths, bolt on the straight pipes, and button everything back up. I went with the Magnaflow due to the awesome looking 5" tips. Much more aggressive. Love the decel popping.
ForgedReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:27 PM   #228
GarySS

Drives: 2012 RS/SS L99 A6 Muffler delete
Just did my 2012 L99 with Doug Thorley muffler deletes. They were 1/2 the price of any others I could find. Had one problem with the install, the flared ends were not wide enough to fit over the cut ends of the stock pipes. I had to take them to a muffler shop to have them flared wider. Sounds great now and I do not notice any drone. The AFM just sounds a little louder now when it kicks in. Here's a link to the video:

After driving some more, the AFM is most noticeable (annoying sounding) at slower speeds, like 20-30MPH.

Last edited by GarySS; 12-20-2013 at 05:58 PM. Reason: adding some info
GarySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:39 PM   #229
sickspeedSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS M6
I have a 10' SS M6. Heads, cam, headers, no cats stock diameter with stock h pipe. is there any way to cut the exhaust off before it ever makes it to the rear end of the car?? I was thinking about welding in a couple dynamax bullets or something similar. surely someone has tried to run a shorter setup?
sickspeedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:59 PM   #230
Todd808
ANTI-MATTER Hawaii band

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS, manual,Kooks,
It may not add any power but it cuts about 20lbs off the car. And this car needs a diet
2010 SS LS3 6speed. Supercharged, kooks Lt heeders, 3" exhaust,monster clutch, 1000 hp axles, peeders drop springs, hurst short throw, borla. Hotchkins race pack, all lights blacked out. 1.2" front 1.5" rear drop
Todd808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:42 AM   #231
sickspeedSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS M6
That's one of my main concerns is the weight. I've got my exhaust out right now while upgrades are being done and can't help but think I could modify the exhaust and keep it under the car. I've looked and looked for pics of one and have yet to see one that has been done. Mine is not a dd so I'm not worried about cabin noise and so on.
sickspeedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:05 AM   #232
Sandman1969

Drives: 2015 2SS Red Hot Adrenaline
The muffler delete sounds pretty damn good. I am in the market to upgrade my sound a bit. I have been looking at a couple cat back systems (Corsa Xtreme & Borla Atak). However, if I went this route it would save me a pretty penny.

Have to look into this more. Who knows it could save some money for some other mods I would like to do, in particular with the suspension.

Hmmm, looks like I may have issues with a muffler delete in VA. Grumbles.

2015 2SS Red Hot Adrenaline

Last edited by Sandman1969; 12-18-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Sandman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:44 AM   #233
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
the only issue that rears it's head is drone...and since I did my rear gear upgrade the car seems to spend more of it's time around the 1800-2200 range where the drone exists...not bad in the summer with the windows down and the radio playin...now in the winter it's startin to wear a bit...gonna do some j-pipes soon...good luck.

btw - why would a muff delete be a prob is VA? noise? the way I look at it diesel p/u's have louder exhausts than my car does(until about 5k or so heh heh) and I don't get any second looks from popo...now emissions and cats are a diff story...is your car tuned? dynoSteve at RDP set me up and I have zero cel, can pass any emissions and get 20+ mpg hwy...give him a shout.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:06 AM   #234
Sandman1969

Drives: 2015 2SS Red Hot Adrenaline
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
the only issue that rears it's head is drone...and since I did my rear gear upgrade the car seems to spend more of it's time around the 1800-2200 range where the drone exists...not bad in the summer with the windows down and the radio playin...now in the winter it's startin to wear a bit...gonna do some j-pipes soon...good luck.

btw - why would a muff delete be a prob is VA? noise? the way I look at it diesel p/u's have louder exhausts than my car does(until about 5k or so heh heh) and I don't get any second looks from popo...now emissions and cats are a diff story...is your car tuned? dynoSteve at RDP set me up and I have zero cel, can pass any emissions and get 20+ mpg hwy...give him a shout.
I am still researching it. Seems VA has some laws on the books that can be interpreted one way or another. If the cop wanted to be a jerk, he could give you a ticket for basically modifying the stock system.
§ 46.2-1047. Muffler cutout, etc., illegal.

It shall be unlawful to sell or offer for sale any (i) muffler without interior baffle plates or other effective muffling device or (ii) gutted muffler, muffler cutout, or straight exhaust. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate on the highways in the Commonwealth a motor vehicle, moped, or motorized skateboard or scooter equipped with a gutted muffler, muffler cutout, or straight exhaust.
Seeing that the Cats would still be on there, emissions should be fine. So guess technically it isn't a straight exhaust. I would think that means pipe straight from the headers to the back.
So not sure exactly what way I will go. I have read of people having issues and then tons of people that don't. With all the ricers with the fart cans on them around here I should be ok. Would be interesting to see how things would go when it is inspection time. Though, nothing on the checklist should fail it and if there were issues, be easy to swap em back on and off.

Nice thing with that, I would be able to easily store the mufflers as opposed to a whole cat back system. Like to keep in case I end upgrading in the future. Though, pretty certain I would stick with mine instead of a Gen 6. Still think ours look the best. Just love that LT1.

Then there is this law. Which seems very vague and I am not sure what defines excessive noise.
§ 46.2-1049. Exhaust system in good working order.

No person shall drive and no owner of a vehicle shall permit or allow the operation of any such vehicle on a highway unless it is equipped with an exhaust system in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual levels of noise; provided however, that for motor vehicles, such exhaust system shall be of a type installed as standard factory equipment, or comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment. An exhaust system shall not be deemed to prevent excessive or unusual noise if it permits the escape of noise in excess of that permitted by the standard factory equipment exhaust system of private passenger motor vehicles or trucks of standard make.

The term "exhaust system," as used in this section, means all the parts of a vehicle through which the exhaust passes after leaving the engine block, including mufflers and other sound dissipative devices.

Chambered pipes are not an effective muffling device to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and any vehicle equipped with chambered pipes shall be deemed in violation of this section.

2015 2SS Red Hot Adrenaline
Sandman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote