Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-15-2009, 09:02 AM   #1
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Frontal lowering question...

Alright, guys. I've been here long enough to know that I need to search before posting, yet for this I've found not a single thing just as I suspected. Afterall, this is a rather particular desire of mine.

If anyone ever pays attention to my sig pic, you'll always see I have a tendency to photoshop in my future mods. Yet, what sounds out even more than perhaps the cowl hood or spoiler is the fact that the car's ride height has been altered in the front to give it that squat, drag-racer like appearance as though it's 1985 and I am using shackles!

Seriously, I think it's a sweet look and I want to apply it to my Camaro when I get it. However, I don't want it to be too dramatic - subtlety is key with me. HOW would I go about lowering just the front end without compromising too much ride quality? Like I said, I don't want it to stand out so much that it would look bad, but I want it to be lowered enough for people to recognize that the car's ass is higher than its face. What would be the best springs to use? Or would coilovers be better? I'm not too attuned to suspension talk...

If anybody can help me, I'd appreciate it!
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:09 AM   #2
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Coilovers but KEEP IN MIND on a car that's already front heavy, you'll be shifting even more weight bias towards the front. That means more understeer in case you like the curves and handling. You'll also create a greater possibility of scraping the front on parking lot speed bumps, curbs, parking curbs, steep driveways, etc.

There's also a difference in wheel well gaps, even in your sig you can see more of a gap in the back than the front which you might not like that look. To get that true drag racer look you might consider going with larger diameter wheels in the back. Something like 19's in the front and 21's on the rear. But again it affects the handling. Depends on what you want to do with the car.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:28 AM   #3
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Coilovers but KEEP IN MIND on a car that's already front heavy, you'll be shifting even more weight bias towards the front. That means more understeer in case you like the curves and handling. You'll also create a greater possibility of scraping the front on parking lot speed bumps, curbs, parking curbs, steep driveways, etc.

There's also a difference in wheel well gaps, even in your sig you can see more of a gap in the back than the front which you might not like that look. To get that true drag racer look you might consider going with larger diameter wheels in the back. Something like 19's in the front and 21's on the rear. But again it affects the handling. Depends on what you want to do with the car.
Alright, that sounds like more trouble than it's worth. I'll just give it a normal drop then. Thanks for the quick reply, Doc!
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
You're welcome. Another option would be to just change tire ratio sizes. Do a 35 profile in front and a 45 or 50 in the back. Tires aren't cheap either but it's easy to undo if you don't like it compared to modding the suspension.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:24 AM   #5
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
The look in your sig looks like a 2" drop in the front and i have that on my car but also a 2 1/2" in the rear, And the car is set up from GM higher in the rear by 1/2" now.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote