Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 12-22-2009, 06:35 PM   #57
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
For what its worth, I just pulled out the bulb and tested it.

The 3157 bulb is dual filament. The outer filament is used for the tail light. The center is used for the brake lights, hazards, and turn signals.

The bulb is setup how you want it, but the reflection lights up the whole housing.

What I am thinking is that you need is a way to get the light to shine down for the tail light, and then a way to get the brake light to shine outward.

The best way I can think of to accomplish this is to split the dual filament bulb into two bulbs, and put a reflector inbetween them. Use a 3156 bulb for the brake light, and a 194 bulb for the tail light.

Maybe use a 3156 Stealth Bulb along with the 194, as the chrome coating of the brake light may help diffuse the light to the outer ring.
skuttduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:11 PM   #58
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Thank you that is what i did a long time ago, look at this part i made, I have one more thing better LED's that are closer.
Attached Images

2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:25 PM   #59
stirthepot

Drives: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
Thank you for the nice words, Look at this pic and you can see that the concept has a trapezoidal shape, The thing i did that you are saying is to small is as big as i can go, There is no more room in the tail light hosing.
your concept looks good, but the concept car does NOT have a trapezoid. you drew a trapezoid inside the concept car's semi-circle light. you should try to make it rounded like the concept. the sharp angles ruin the look IMO.
stirthepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:26 PM   #60
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
3 piece, cool! Bolteon is headed in the right direction I think.

Someone try blacking out the center like he did, only black out the ridges as well as the honeycombs. Aluminum foil on the back side for more reflectance. If that gives an eclipse effect then it's half way there
Old 12-22-2009, 07:31 PM   #61
skuttduck

Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
Thank you that is what i did a long time ago, look at this part i made, I have one more thing better LED's that are closer.
I can't wait to see how that looks. I also see something in the other picture of the housing.

Is that circular part in the upper right corner a mounting bolt, or could you drill it out, and install another light in there?
Old 12-22-2009, 07:31 PM   #62
bolteon593

Drives: 2011 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
3 piece, cool! Bolteon is headed in the right direction I think.

Someone try blacking out the center like he did, only black out the ridges as well as the honeycombs. Aluminum foil on the back side for more reflectance. If that gives an eclipse effect then it's half way there
well described with the eclipse...
bolteon593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:39 PM   #63
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolteon593 View Post
well described with the eclipse...
Thankie

If that works, the rest may work as well, but it'll get expensive... Imagine a 2nd can (the half moon) between the lenses, and butted up to the outer lens.

How much does 400 3mm red LED's cost?
Old 12-22-2009, 07:52 PM   #64
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirthepot View Post
your concept looks good, but the concept car does NOT have a trapezoid. you drew a trapezoid inside the concept car's semi-circle light. you should try to make it rounded like the concept. the sharp angles ruin the look IMO.
It may be me but i see a trapezoid inside not a round after you hit the bake light.

Attached Images

2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:01 PM   #65
Phantom.5SS
Hell yeah I'm Guilty.....

Drives: 2010 2-SS ABM NON-RS
Hi There, Mark in NY here. I have done custom lighting for years and I have to say that "Thinking Eclipse" is mostly the solution.
A shield in the main tail light will give the desired effect but blocks the taillight under bracking. Further your thinking and place an LED board ON the shield and connect to the stock brake input. This brings the neccesary functions to the front of the line and gives the afterburner effect from the back.
Star warning in Avon NY uses a similar design called "M" tech technology for thier lightbars, I've done it for years with old areodynic and jet stream bars before that.
Good luck.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:01 PM   #66
skuttduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
Thankie

If that works, the rest may work as well, but it'll get expensive... Imagine a 2nd can (the half moon) between the lenses, and butted up to the outer lens.

How much does 400 3mm red LED's cost?
You might be joking, but $156
http://www.unique-leds.com/index.php...roduct_id=1864
Old 12-22-2009, 08:09 PM   #67
Phantom.5SS
Hell yeah I'm Guilty.....

Drives: 2010 2-SS ABM NON-RS
One last thought as well, for the real do it yourselfer....there is a high intensity "Generic" led kit available in the street rod magazines, it will work well for this application. Now if you really are on your game, wire your parking (afterburner) bulb to a potentiometer at the throttle pedal.
Low throttle= low light and increasing it will gradually increase the brightness....WORKING AFTERBURNER!!!
Heres a light panel thats close, a little modification and your in!!

http://www.streetrodhq.com/detail/19...CAR_TRUCK.html

Last edited by Phantom.5SS; 12-22-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Phantom.5SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:48 PM   #68
TonyNo

Drives: 2016 2SS, SW
Take a look at the blown-up image of the concept tail attached. There is clearly a separate part for the center that looks to be smaller than the production lens.
Attached Images

TonyNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:48 PM   #69
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttduck View Post
No, I figured it would be higher...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom.5SS View Post
One last thought as well, for the real do it yourselfer....there is a high intensity "Generic" led kit available in the street rod magazines, it will work well for this application. Now if you really are on your game, wire your parking (afterburner) bulb to a potentiometer at the throttle pedal.
Low throttle= low light and increasing it will gradually increase the brightness....WORKING AFTERBURNER!!!
Heres a light panel thats close, a little modification and your in!!

http://www.streetrodhq.com/detail/19...CAR_TRUCK.html
I like that idea
Old 12-22-2009, 09:03 PM   #70
skuttduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom.5SS View Post
Hi There, Mark in NY here. I have done custom lighting for years and I have to say that "Thinking Eclipse" is mostly the solution.
A shield in the main tail light will give the desired effect but blocks the taillight under bracking. Further your thinking and place an LED board ON the shield and connect to the stock brake input. This brings the neccesary functions to the front of the line and gives the afterburner effect from the back.
Star warning in Avon NY uses a similar design called "M" tech technology for thier lightbars, I've done it for years with old areodynic and jet stream bars before that.
Good luck.
I think you got it. I kept thinking of using LED, or a smaller bulb for the afterburner, when all you really have to do it put the LED's as the brake light. Use the 3156 bulb in the socket you have and wire up the LED's in front of it as the brake light.

You get the eclipse and the board that the LED's are attached would provide the light for the brake light.

I may have a 3156 bulb in the garage I'll put it in one of the light housings and see if it works with the tail or the brake light.