Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 01-25-2012, 11:57 PM   #1
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Wide band o2 acting strange

So this has been going on for 1-2 weeks now, when I first start the car and drive it around for a minute or two everything is fine. However while driving it will randomly start to fluctuate like crazy going from around 14.7 to 21 and as low as 11ish and it will do this for several seconds and then go back to "normal." Also, just yesterday it started flashing 7.4 (this is what it does on a start up normally until it heats up) for about 15 mins.

I don't think it's my engine, because when it first started acting up I listened to the engine and didn't hear anything, and it seems to be running fine. I've read online that when the sensor is dirty it can do this, or if the sensor is going bad. However, I've only had the wide band for about 2-3 months. The brand is Innovate.

Anyone have any ideas? I plan on checking the sensor this weekend to see if it's dirty.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:04 AM   #2
evilbeef54
tail lights for u

Drives: Bumble Bee 2010 2SS/RS
oh god, is it an LM-2, do NOT NOT NOT update the firmware with out using an old ass win xp machine or you will brick it, i know cause i just did that, there was some complaints on the old firmware causing this issue i think, the innovate forums are useless though, and tech support just blames you and wants to charge you
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RY M6- LOVIN' it
Kooks LT's & HFC's, Flowmaster Single chamber mufflers, C.A.I. Intake, ADM Scoop, Rotofab w/w relocate

Semper Paratus

You have to go out You don't have to come back!!!
evilbeef54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:10 AM   #3
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
My LM-1 did that when the power was "accidentaly" cut off while I was driving. Maybe you are dropping power to the sensor? Once the sensor was hot again and driven for a few miles it cleared and worked fine. My "helper" (wife) thought it would be good to shut the LM-1 off when we were not actually data logging . You should never do that. It needs to be powered whenever the car is running.

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:41 AM   #4
67motorcat
Blown Cool Breeze

Drives: 2011 Black on Black 2SS M6
Maybe it just needs another Free Air Calibration....the manual says to do that now and them.
67motorcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
hey Chris, when does it usually fluctuate like that? does it do this while part throttle, wot, etc? also, are you letting the o2 get up to it's temp?

With my AEM I noticed the afr sometimes float around high 12's on idle, sometimes it take a few seconds to few minutes for the idle afr to come back up to it's proper range around 14.7, but nothing like what you are describing tho.
I wonder if it's a tune issue or just my sensor acting up.

At what angle do you have your o2 sensor installed?
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67motorcat View Post
Maybe it just needs another Free Air Calibration....the manual says to do that now and them.
I'll trying doing this when I'm cleaning the sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
hey Chris, when does it usually fluctuate like that? does it do this while part throttle, wot, etc? also, are you letting the o2 get up to it's temp?

With my AEM I noticed the afr sometimes float around high 12's on idle, sometimes it take a few seconds to few minutes for the idle afr to come back up to it's proper range around 14.7, but nothing like what you are describing tho.
I wonder if it's a tune issue or just my sensor acting up.

At what angle do you have your o2 sensor installed?
It's about a 10 degree angle. It usually fluctuates during part throttle and wot, usually not at idle which would leave me to believe it might need to be re-calibrated. I don't think it's the tune because the entire first ~2 months I had the wide band it was fine, and just not started acting up.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #7
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Id bet on the sensor going bad. Mine go high when they go bad.

Sometimes I get the 3737 to last a couple months, and the last one lasted a couple cars. Really two freaking cars. I was pissed. FI cars eat them quicker. I never try cleaning them, I just get new ones. There's no method to the madness on how long they last. Im not friendly to the ones I use, but Id like to get 6 months to a year out of them, but that's never happened

Heres the best price Ive found for the 3737s.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110798448635...84.m1497.l2649
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning View Post

Sometimes I get the 3737 to last a couple months, and the last one lasted a couple cars. Really two freaking cars. I was pissed. FI cars eat them quicker. I never try cleaning them, I just get new ones. There's no method to the madness on how long they last. Im not friendly to the ones I use, but Id like to get 6 months to a year out of them, but that's never happened

I appreciate it!
Old 01-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #9
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning View Post

6 months to a year on a brand new sensor? Not sure how much better my AEM's bosch sensor is but I hope it last more than 6 months lol.

Let us know what you find out chris.
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #10
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
6 months to a year on a brand new sensor? Not sure how much better my AEM's bosch sensor is but I hope it last more than 6 months lol.

Let us know what you find out chris.
Yeah no joke, didn't know these things were so fragile.. Well I was trying to look at it today, but the thing is the way I have it installed I need to take my header off because it was a tight squeeze for the wiring. Anyways, I didn't have that time today. I'll see if I can get to it this weekend but not sure, might have to wait a week.