Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-08-2010, 12:30 PM   #15
csorrentini

Drives: 2010 Orange 2SS/RS
honestly the main issue isnt commpletely money i can get it but taking into account how much losing the warranty "may" end up costing.
csorrentini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:40 PM   #16
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan323 View Post
Oh! I always thought the shorties came with some hi flow cats. Then where does the extra power come from on the shorties? The piping is bigger or something? =o
Nope... shorties keep your stock cats intact... the extra power (small but there is some) the longer runners and the bigger outlet...

Look at how short the runners on the manifold are...

outlets:

scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #17
Edge.128

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
I'm thinking the DT shorties seem to be the best option right now. just depends what you want and are after. LT really seem to change the sound and not all for the better. listen to all the videos to get a idea. after that its up to you what you want and can afford.

Edge.128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:51 PM   #18
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Nope... shorties keep your stock cats intact... the extra power (small but there is some) the longer runners and the bigger outlet...

And the dramatically different length of the tubes can't help, either.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:54 PM   #19
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge.128 View Post
I'm thinking the DT shorties seem to be the best option right now. just depends what you want and are after. LT really seem to change the sound and not all for the better. listen to all the videos to get a idea. after that its up to you what you want and can afford.
The only mod I ever did to my Mustang, and I did a LOT, that I regretted was messing with the stock cats.... which is why I'm hesitant to mess with the ones on this car... Again exhaust sound is a very personal thing... I know some of the LT car's hear sound mean, but not sure I could live with it all the time...
Old 10-08-2010, 03:52 PM   #20
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Only LTs Ive heard that I could live with is with the Magnaflows installed....in videos it sounds awsome, and not overly loud. Until then, I wouldn't have considered long tubes.

But the shorties generally always make the car sound better, just not as loud as LTs. On they dyno they seem to provide nice low-mid power, but not much on top. People running the DTs all seem to agree they notice a nice lower end improvement. Is it all in their head? Who knows...but at least all feedback has been positive.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:50 PM   #21
5thGENv6

Drives: 2010 camaro ls
you could just add a BBK x pipe with your mrt instead of dumping money on a new exhaust... i have BBK LT, mrt 2, and bbk intake and love the sound. next on my list is the BBK x pipe.

http://www.bbkperformance.com/produc...r-cat-x-pipes/
5thGENv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:20 AM   #22
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by csorrentini View Post
honestly the main issue isnt commpletely money i can get it but taking into account how much losing the warranty "may" end up costing.
You aren't going to lose your warranty from Catbacks... plus they are bolt on, if worse comes to worse, you can install your stock ones? I dont know lol.. imo, go for gold then =D

Quote:

Ahh... Yeah, shorties never crossed my mind, so I haven't been looking into them enough. Thanks for the pics and info, wow the stock looks like garbage lol.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:41 AM   #23
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Wish you would've shown from the inlet side. These manifolds are restrictive. The one runner comes out and is almost right at the collector, while the other two have some traveling to do and they make a sharp turn. I'm surprised we don't see bigger gains with just the shorties(I wonder what their gains are at peak like BBK had posted). DT's, JBA's they will keep your warranty intact. There is some saying the JBA's have issues and are tripping codes, but there are plenty here that aren't having any issues since they put them on. Do your research. Enjoy your ride.
Quote:

outlets:

usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:50 AM   #24
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usa1camaro1969 View Post
Wish you would've shown from the inlet side. These manifolds are restrictive. The one runner comes out and is almost right at the collector, while the other two have some traveling to do and they make a sharp turn. I'm surprised we don't see bigger gains with just the shorties(I wonder what their gains are at peak like BBK had posted). DT's, JBA's they will keep your warranty intact. There is some saying the JBA's have issues and are tripping codes, but there are plenty here that aren't having any issues since they put them on. Do your research. Enjoy your ride.
Another view

My guess is some of the LT gains are coming from dumping stock cats...
Old 10-09-2010, 09:29 AM   #25
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Quote:
My guess is some of the LT gains are coming from dumping stock cats...
No doubt. But when we dump the stock cats we also dump the warranty and some states are more restrictive. One has to balance that out before they decide.
I also think that the gains may not be huge because of the true dual exhaust already being plenty on the car.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:13 AM   #26
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Oh, I also want to add, that if you are going with shorties because you don't want to void any kind of warranty with a tune, you are definitely going to want a tune with those gears you plan on changing. Changing the gears will make your speedo read wrong. The tune will fix that.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:51 AM   #27
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
I agree with what others have said here,shorties, axel/catback and intake work well as a package and gives the car a great sound. The DT shorties also are a work of art, they look great! As far as top end hp Not sure as I have seen only one dyno/member with any numbers, I think about 5 but I can't remmember who now , what memory I have left work uses up!
They do have more low to mid power as on our car this seems to be where we get most of the gains with these all items which is fine by me as I was looking to improve the bottom end that these engines by design lack for street response.

Note to the OP, to help save money get to a good muffler shop and see what they can offer price wise on components instead of kits. My person I use I have known along time, which helps, and as I went Magnaflow on the mufflers and x pipe paid $550 installed(not including headers) including 4" dual wall, 12" long tips, only thing not done is 2.5" pipes to the mufflers.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote